Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 12:51 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,310,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
With a credit card you buy now with the promise to pay later. There are some restrictions for fraud & out of town transactions.

For Dave Ransey followers the temptation in credit cards is you may not have the money to pay the bill. Start with late fees, high interest rates. Studies have shown people spend more with their credit card than if they had to pay with cash. The store may do 40% more business. The banks make millions on fees & interest rates. The credit card companies get paid to process the transaction. With these fees in a reward program you may get back 1% to 5% depending on the card agreement.

I couldn't care less about someone's lack of financial discipline and inability to control spending. That person might blow their paycheck at the bar right after they cash it then not have the money when the rent comes due. This is a people problem not a credit card problem.

The ability to spend money now that you may not have it both the risk and the reward of credit. Sometimes it's not a matter of how much money you have but when you have it. If your car breaks down and you need it to get to work, you need it fixed now, whether you have the cash or not. If you lose your job your problems have ballooned much more than interest and late fees. Even for non-critical items, the ability to buy when things are on sale can save money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 01:19 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,930,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I love the club lounges. In addition to the drinks and snacks, much more comfortable to browse the internet on my laptop at a proper table than at a crowded gate area. It saved my bacon once when they announced my flight was canceled. I walked up to the empty customer service counter and was rebooked on the next flight in minutes. I heard from others later that were on my flight that they waited for two hours in the public customer service line and some were unable to get rebooked on the next flight because it was full.
I do think a lot of airport lounges are dealing with a tragedy of the commons right now- the overcrowding is crazy, even with capacity controls that can have people waiting in line outside the doors. I ended up with free lounge access on a trip this summer (transatlantic ticket and Sky Team Elite+ status) and the Delta lounges in ATL were noisy and it was hard to find a place to sit. The food was getting swooped up as soon as it was put out and there was an additional line at the bar. The bathrooms were definitely nicer than you get in the gen pop part of the terminal but I found myself thinking that I was glad I wasn’t directly paying for an experience that just wasn’t relaxing.

Old 08-31-2022, 02:02 PM

3,263 posts, read 3,795,283 times
Yes, OP is missing out.

Just never carry a balance and you will reap hundreds of dollars a year in rewards.

Also, credit cards typically give better consumer protection than if you pay with cash or a debit card.

Old 08-31-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I do think a lot of airport lounges are dealing with a tragedy of the commons right now- the overcrowding is crazy, even with capacity controls that can have people waiting in line outside the doors. I ended up with free lounge access on a trip this summer (transatlantic ticket and Sky Team Elite+ status) and the Delta lounges in ATL were noisy and it was hard to find a place to sit. The food was getting swooped up as soon as it was put out and there was an additional line at the bar. The bathrooms were definitely nicer than you get in the gen pop part of the terminal but I found myself thinking that I was glad I wasn’t directly paying for an experience that just wasn’t relaxing.

Agreed. Everyone wants in and I'd bet the vast majority of those in the lounge are using passes not paid members. I wouldn't pay for it.

Old 08-31-2022, 04:48 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,091,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Not sure your friend is being 100% straight up with you. The bonuses from AMEX are based on your spending. So maybe her CEO husband is pounding on the card for work expenses then letting her have the "points" that she claims her rewards with.
Yes, that is the case... I mentioned this later in the thread, once I really thought about it! He charges his business expenses + travel to the card, and she gets to reap the rewards.

(she wasn't being intentionally misleading, I'm sure; she just lives a very different lifestyle than I do)

Old 08-31-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The mortgage company simply won’t let you and the workaround for that is a cash advance on the card that generates horrible interest from the first day and is probably excluded from point earning.

For rent, some large property management companies have an agreement to let you use the Bilt Mastercard to pay rent but that’s a pretty niche product-

https://www.biltrewards.com/card
Huh... interesting. This is my first mortgage (which I've only had for 8 months now), so I had no idea. That would've been an easy way to rack up the points, though, considering my mortgage + tax/insurance is around $3100/mo! Oh well.

Old 08-31-2022, 08:08 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,378,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Huh... interesting. This is my first mortgage (which I've only had for 8 months now), so I had no idea. That would've been an easy way to rack up the points, though, considering my mortgage + tax/insurance is around $3100/mo! Oh well.
These days with EFT this becomes moot. Bank where you pay may be only setup to do bank account info with no option for CC/DC. They may have you submit void check or have other procedure to verify numbers. Many insurance companies are setup this way.

Old 09-01-2022, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
These days with EFT this becomes moot. Bank where you pay may be only setup to do bank account info with no option for CC/DC. They may have you submit void check or have other procedure to verify numbers. Many insurance companies are setup this way.
I have it set on auto-pay through their website, and pretty sure I just entered my debit card info when I initially set it up - but I’m not 100% sure. Guess I’ll go see for myself if it can be changed to a credit card!

Update: Nope, you (and the other poster) were correct. When I tried changing the payment method, it asked for checking account and routing #s. No option for debit or credit card. Darnit!

Old 09-01-2022, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I have it set on auto-pay through their website, and pretty sure I just entered my debit card info when I initially set it up - but I’m not 100% sure. Guess I’ll go see for myself if it can be changed to a credit card!

Update: Nope, you (and the other poster) were correct. When I tried changing the payment method, it asked for checking account and routing #s. No option for debit or credit card. Darnit!

They want immediate cash payment that can't be disputed and clawed back.

Old 09-04-2022, 03:00 AM

8,338 posts, read 3,846,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Dave Ramsey is stupid.
I'm not sure if he's stupid or if he assumes everyone else is stupid. His advice is good for people who have no common sense in how to manage money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance