Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 03:26 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times

Advertisements

why cant you just withdraw all the money from the bank account,would it be closed after x period of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 04:01 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,128,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
why cant you just withdraw all the money from the bank account,would it be closed after x period of time?
When you die, the bank freezes your bank accounts.

Old 11-05-2022, 04:59 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
You said that you had a probate court certificate. I am not sure what that is, but you may need a court order appointing you as administrator or executor (whichever term is used in your state). That certificate may be the equivalent in your state and all you should need in most states. Some insurers and other holders of assets with beneficiaries, like IRA holders, just need a death cert for a beneficiary to be paid. Some may accept copies, others may want certified copies. The funeral home should get as many as you want, for a small price.

You also said that you had a new POA. From who? As someone pointed out, the prior POA died with the deedent. A court order naming you administrator gives you full authority to deal with all of the descendant's assets and liabilities.

No one needs to see the will but the court, or any other documents.

It sounds to me that there some communication issue between you and the bank. All I can suggest is make you sure you understand exactly what the bank needs. If they keep stalling, take everything and meet with a manager who can make a decision and be prepared to give them what they want. I have closed a few estates for unrelated people, including one of state done entirely by phone, email and fax.

Old 11-06-2022, 02:34 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Simply taking all the money out and not officially closing the account can subject you to monthly minimum balance fees ..

Citibank does that .

If you open an account with these big promo dollars given which we take advantage of every six months then if your balance falls below a certain amount there are monthly charges if you simply just pulled the money out .

You need to actually have them close the account to avoid that situation when the promo is up .

Other banks want to try to sell you on other products or services when you close an account .

One bank had us see an annuity salesman as part of the closing process.

The deal pitched sounded so good unless you are savvy enough to know how to look under the hood .

I mean what could be better then a guaranteed 10% return or what the market does …

If anyone wants to know why that wasn’t a good deal I will go into the details of this annuity

Old 11-06-2022, 06:39 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,128,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
You said that you had a probate court certificate. I am not sure what that is, but you may need a court order appointing you as administrator or executor (whichever term is used in your state). That certificate may be the equivalent in your state and all you should need in most states. Some insurers and other holders of assets with beneficiaries, like IRA holders, just need a death cert for a beneficiary to be paid. Some may accept copies, others may want certified copies. The funeral home should get as many as you want, for a small price.

You also said that you had a new POA. From who? As someone pointed out, the prior POA died with the deedent. A court order naming you administrator gives you full authority to deal with all of the descendant's assets and liabilities.

No one needs to see the will but the court, or any other documents.

It sounds to me that there some communication issue between you and the bank. All I can suggest is make you sure you understand exactly what the bank needs. If they keep stalling, take everything and meet with a manager who can make a decision and be prepared to give them what they want. I have closed a few estates for unrelated people, including one of state done entirely by phone, email and fax.
We have a court order. We have all documentation. The documentation is very, very broad, giving me all rights to represent the estate. We had the best trusts and estates lawyer draft it all.

The bank simply keeps changing its story. One banker will write down a list of what is needed; another banker will say something else. Unless I want to bring my lawyer and whole filing cabinet with me to the bank, I’ll show up, with what the bank confirmed in writing was needed, and the next banker will want something else.

I’ll try a manager and handle this by email- I appreciate your post.

Old 11-06-2022, 06:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
POAs always end upon the death of the person granting the POA. So a POA is useless.

In Texas you need an official death certificate and a letter of administration from the court/judge appointing you as the executrix or whatever your state calls it of the estate.

Meet with the bank manager. He or she should be there just about every day from 8 till 5, but make an appointment.

The manager may need to send copies of the documentation to the legal department and wait for an answer back from them.

(I'm a former bank manager.)

Old 11-07-2022, 02:37 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Much less risk in a more cumbersome closing process for those who don’t own accounts vs being more liberal or easy with the process

You could just be dealing with incompetent people

Old 11-12-2022, 06:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I'm sorry, I believe in Texas the letter is called a Letter of Testamentary or Letters Testamentary, which appoints you as the executrix or executor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance