Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 03:29 AM

37,550 posts, read 61,609,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Why do we need to reinvent the wheel? We have a national system, it's called Social Security and it's mandatory.
Could you be so kind as to share with us, what law makes Social Security 'mandatory'?

Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 03:46 AM

107,119 posts, read 109,450,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Could you be so kind as to share with us, what law makes Social Security 'mandatory'?

Thank you

It is compulsory under the social security act of 1935 .

unless you have a legal exemption approved on irs form 4029 or the employer has approval to be exempt because they have their own approved plan .

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f4029--1994.pdf

Old 11-29-2022, 04:01 AM

37,550 posts, read 61,609,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It is compulsory under the social security act of 1935 .

unless you have a legal exemption approved on irs form 4029 or the employer has approval to be exempt because they have their own approved plan .

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f4029--1994.pdf
Assuming that individual volunteered to apply for a policy, yes.

Old 11-29-2022, 04:06 AM

That is not what compulsory means .

The act says it is compulsory unless the employer has an approved plan

https://www.archives.gov/milestone-d...l-security-act

Old 11-29-2022, 05:03 AM

7,789 posts, read 3,376,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Assuming that individual volunteered to apply for a policy, yes.

SS is no more voluntary than Federal Income Tax. Yeah, it's voluntary or else you can go to jail maybe. So, there's that.

Stop spewing this Submariner. You are a good guy except for this chronic glitch of spewing this nonsense.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:05 AM

8,123 posts, read 12,859,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinpuncher View Post
Who do think pays for the elderly social services for the poor ? The tax payer! Why do you object to the user of the services helping pay for the services they receive by in rolling in an optional op in savings program ? Do have any grasp of end of life costs ? The medical profession has a legal obligations to keep a patient alive as long as possible-
You are assuming these elderly poor will contribute to your plan when they don't take advantage of current opportunities. If they can't afford to contribute to an IRA how are they going to afford to contribute to a government pension plan? Furthermore, I suspect the growth of a government-managed pension plan will underperform just about ANY other investment option.

End-of-life care costs? Typically people are on medicare and you should not confuse the costs of medical care with retirement funding. Yes, retirees pay medicare insurance premiums IF THEY HAVE the means to. Poor old people don't.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
You are assuming these elderly poor will contribute to your plan when they don't take advantage of current opportunities. If they can't afford to contribute to an IRA how are they going to afford to contribute to a government pension plan? Furthermore, I suspect the growth of a government-managed pension plan will underperform just about ANY other investment option.

End-of-life care costs? Typically people are on medicare and you should not confuse the costs of medical care with retirement funding. Yes, retirees pay medicare insurance premiums IF THEY HAVE the means to. Poor old people don't.
Never let facts get in the way of the visions people have for solving extremely complex issues way above their capable of

Old 11-29-2022, 06:24 AM

8,001 posts, read 9,210,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinpuncher View Post
Ok, you go first.
That is my plan. Why would I bankrupt my family to spend years in a nursing home addled with Alzheimer disease being a shell of my former self?

Or if given a 1 percent chance of survival if take a bankrupting chemotherapy that will out me in excruciating pain for the days I have left?

I saw both of these scenarios first hand with family members.

No thanks

Old 11-29-2022, 06:28 AM

8,001 posts, read 9,210,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
SS needs to be shored up as it will only pay 77% of benefits as soon as 2034. Congress has not put together any legislation on that yet. They will probably start on that October of 2032 at the earliest (the way they do not do anything unpopular until they 11th hour).

Of the $3.46 trillion in receipts taken in by the U.S. Treasury during fiscal 2019, nearly half came from the $1.72 trillion in individual income taxes collected.

In addition, $1.24 trillion in Social Security and Medicare taxes were paid by individuals, bringing their share to 85%.

Taxes paid by corporations last year totaled $230 billion, or just 6.6% of the total in 2019. The remainder of federal revenues are made up from customs duties on imported goods, excise taxes such as those on gasoline, estate taxes and other miscellaneous taxes and fees.

WHO PAYS THE MOST?
W2 wage earners - those with a regular paycheck from a business, government entity or non-profit - make up the largest share of tax revenue through income tax and social insurance withholdings, like the payroll tax that funds Social Security, the government retirement program.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN26J30F

So, Muffin, do you live off passive income from real estate or stocks and you don't really pay into the system? That would be my bet.
I am betting govt worker with a great pension. In my experience with them here in NY, they typically have the biggest F everyone else I got mine attitude while being the biggest economic parasite

Old 11-29-2022, 06:38 AM

22,687 posts, read 24,697,193 times
Another massive defined-benefit program run by Fedgov, that 31-Trillion will
very quickly look small if this idea gets going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance