Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2023, 12:56 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 18 days ago)

791 posts, read 378,953 times

Advertisements

I think I have a debt collector calling me. I had a number call me twice, no voicemail and did an online lookup and it was listed as a scam number but was described to be a debt collector by many of the comments. I blocked it and receive subsequent calls over several weeks, and handful of times each week, from different numbers that appeared as scam likely with no voicemail that I blocked. Today I got a text message telling me to contact a debt collection company with a reference number and I reported it as spam but then started reading they can sue me, put something on my credit report, etc.

I have no debt, excellent credit, checked my credit reports and they are all green across the board, etc. I am a freedom loving person, more on the extreme side than most and do not feel I should have to justify that I am not the person they are after or if they are, they got duped by someone using my information. Why should I have to deal with debt collectors through no fault of my own? I have had my identity stolen multiple times - the Equifax breach being just one example. I recently got a letter in the mail saying that someone tried to file a W2 in another state using my information but it was rejected as fraudulent.

Anyone else have these issues?

I do not trust myself to even talk to these debt collectors cause I will go off when they start asking who I am after contacting me. There is no information I will give them, at all, so why even bother? There is nothing they can say that will confirm their legitimacy in my view and from what I have read, if they are legitimate there are pitfalls and tricks they can try to employ to get you to accept debt that is not yours, etc.

Maybe I just need to get with the times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2023, 01:15 PM

15,495 posts, read 7,538,175 times
We occasionally get those calls for a woman with the same name as my wife. When they as for my wife's SSN, she asks what number they are looking for and tells them it's not her. For other debt collectors, we just respond that we've never heard of the person.

Old 11-22-2023, 01:27 PM

2,751 posts, read 1,788,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
I think I have a debt collector calling me. I had a number call me twice, no voicemail and did an online lookup and it was listed as a scam number but was described to be a debt collector by many of the comments. I blocked it and receive subsequent calls over several weeks, and handful of times each week, from different numbers that appeared as scam likely with no voicemail that I blocked. Today I got a text message telling me to contact a debt collection company with a reference number and I reported it as spam but then started reading they can sue me, put something on my credit report, etc.

I have no debt, excellent credit, checked my credit reports and they are all green across the board, etc. I am a freedom loving person, more on the extreme side than most and do not feel I should have to justify that I am not the person they are after or if they are, they got duped by someone using my information. Why should I have to deal with debt collectors through no fault of my own? I have had my identity stolen multiple times - the Equifax breach being just one example. I recently got a letter in the mail saying that someone tried to file a W2 in another state using my information but it was rejected as fraudulent.

I do not trust myself to even talk to these debt collectors cause I will go off when they start asking who I am after contacting me. There is no information I will give them, at all, so why even bother? There is nothing they can say that will confirm their legitimacy in my view and from what I have read, if they are legitimate there are pitfalls and tricks they can try to employ to get you to accept debt that is not yours, etc.

I've gotten similar calls, I never answer. If they don't leave a message I just block the #.

Old 11-22-2023, 02:31 PM

6,832 posts, read 11,568,031 times
I think the time to start worrying about these idgits is when the sheriff shows up at your door with a summons. In other words, never.

Old 11-22-2023, 03:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,632 posts, read 81,333,263 times
They are almost always just hoping to get ahold of someone not very bright and that does owe money, so that they can be scared into giving out personal information, or worse, pay for a bill they don't really owe. Whenever I get a call from someone I don't recognize I report it to Nomorobo. If they call me again it rings once and they get a message that I am not accepting calls. One, a persistent market survey firm that calls and gets that message about every other day. Obviously robocalls not a human.

Old 11-22-2023, 06:22 PM

6,628 posts, read 7,358,355 times
They would write as a follow up so I agree scam

Old 11-22-2023, 06:43 PM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Block the calls and move on.

Old 11-22-2023, 07:25 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,564,880 times
Do like my wife and I do. We have all our contacts listed by name in our phones. If we get a call that's not one of our contacts, unless maybe if it's from our local prefix, we don't answer. If it's somebody with something important, that's why voicemail was added to the phones. My car warranty may be expired, but I'll just drive safer. lol

Doesn't really do any good to block some of them. They know that's going to happen so you can get calls from the same collector from no telling how many numbers.

Old 11-23-2023, 11:50 AM

10,337 posts, read 6,881,705 times
Quote:

You have you credit frozen? This stops unauthorized activity. Well, at least it's supposed to...

Old 11-23-2023, 12:24 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,039,998 times
Quote:
Why should I have to deal with debt collectors through no fault of my own?
You shouldn't be. Simply ignore calls like this and for the ones that do leave an urgent sounding message with a phone number requesting you call back, for god's sake don't.

I've received a different variation where they call and ask for me by name, then say they tried to serve a court summons or something yesterday but I wasn't home, then tell me to write down this case # and call a phone number to find out about my case. LOL I live in a private location and nobody has ever so much as knocked on my front door, total scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance