Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 05:47 PM

936 posts, read 2,080,703 times

Advertisements

This year for our company health insurance the out of pocket portion for health/dental/vision for a family has gone up to $8k which is around $666 a month. Is this in line with your company? Our company contributes another $12k. It is insanely expensive.

This is a PPO. 90%/10%. We have $2600 to spend where they pay 100%. In addition, annual check-up and vaccines are not counted against the $2600. Once we exhaust this $2600 we have to pay 100% out of pocket until $6000. After that they pay 90% and we pay 10%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 06:28 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Details matter. How many covered people in the family? Ongoing health issues? Prescriptions? Does anyone use prescription glasses/contacts? Anyone need orthodonture?

IMHO "averages" may not be all that meaningful when you try to apply it to an individual situation.

Old 10-24-2023, 06:31 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,432 times
Right now I have the worst health plan I’ve had in my career. I did work for the government for a while so I was spoiled for a while so I think everything is horrible.

Currently I have a 70/30 PPO. $20 a month.

$2250 deductible before the insurance pays 70%
$3850 maximum out of pocket for a individual

I rarely use the insurance but if I was to be a heavy user and hit the $3850 yearly maximum the health plan would cost about $340/mo including the maximum OOP plus the $240
In yearly premiums.

What this type of plan does is it makes you not want to go to the doctor for small things that could be big issues down the line potentially? When I had a copay plan where every doctor visit was $15 or $25 I would go to the doctor a lot more. And I get that’s the point of high deductible plans but sometimes I wonder what I may be missing by not getting some things checked out because of cost.

Old 10-24-2023, 06:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
$20k / yr is probably close to average for family on company negotiated plan.

But there is likely a very large range. From zero to $5000/ month for entire family.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:36 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,126,112 times
I have a cdhp for my family. I add on VSP and a separate dominion dental plan. Annually it's $5451. The begining of the year they put $2400 into a health reimburse account which rolls over if you don't use it all. It's similar to a health savings account except it has a cap of 10k and isn't portable if you leave the plan.

$4400 family deductible or individual $2200 deductible. If you have enough in the HRA it can pay everything including your deductible. After you hit the deductible, we're on the hook for 15%. $13k catastrophic limit.

We really like the plan. The hra has paid for everything and we've been able to roll over and built up $5400 so far. When my wife was pregnant, all her prenatal visits were completely covered and we didn't pay anything for the delivery.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:53 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,633,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
This year for our company health insurance the out of pocket portion for health/dental/vision for a family has gone up to $8k which is around $666 a month. Is this in line with your company? Our company contributes another $12k. It is insanely expensive.

This is a PPO. 90%/10%. We have $2600 to spend where they pay 100%. In addition, annual check-up and vaccines are not counted against the $2600. Once we exhaust this $2600 we have to pay 100% out of pocket until $6000. After that they pay 90% and we pay 10%.

$11k per year for medical insurance and another $1,500 per year for dental. Family of 4

Old 10-24-2023, 07:55 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,193,756 times
IMHO, "health" insurance is the most gawful gambling scheme imaginable.
It has been the driving factor for skyhigh medical costs.
Instead of a patient just paying a doctor or a hospital, the patient has to now pay dividends to the stockholders of the insurance company, the administrative staff to deal with the paperwork, the increased overhead expenses, as well as the embedded taxes for all these employees, assistants, office managers, and intake clerks.
Let's not forget the meddling in what is considered to be "covered" by the insurance scam, and the problems that it creates.
- - -

No matter how you slice it, the patient loses, when "the house" always gets their cut.

Old 10-24-2023, 09:05 PM

538 posts, read 392,682 times
Quote:

This is similar to what my company offers. On the plus side, employee contributions for the insurance are low with my company picking up most of the tab. What I do is contribute to an HSA (monies are pretax rather than post tax and that money carries forward from year to year). I know my company puts in $500 to an HSA for everyone too each year.

DH could qualify for Medicare, but I only have him on Medicare Part A and then have him on my insurance.

Given our tax bracket he'd have to pay $330 a month for Part B and then would need a supplement and part D (more additional costs). I haven't looked specifically at how much a supplement and Part D for prescriptions cost yet either. As expensive as the group insurance is and as high as the deductibles and out of pocket costs are for the group insurance is, although we will have lower deductibles and co-pays with Medicare and a supplement given how much we'll be paying for the insurance when I retire (about two years from now) due to high cost of insurance overall it looks like we'll be paying more not less for Medical Insurance. I want to get a Medicare supplement and Part D for prescriptions for us when we retire instead of an advantage plan.

Old 10-25-2023, 05:29 AM

538 posts, read 392,682 times
Quote:

It is true that it's a good idea to have emergency reserves for the Out of Pocket max. In my family's case for the past 20 years we are usually way under the out of pocket max in our medical expenses, so HSA monies we contribute go forward from year to year. But one surgery or hospital visit for one family member and you are there. We have had two years in the past 20 when we hit our out of pocket max. The one was when DS needed two surgeries on his knee back in 2012 and quite a bit of physical therapy after each. The other was when DH had to have a hip joint replacement in 2021. Even though it was just one overnight (and counted as outpatient - meant no Medicare Part A) that and the physical therapy got just a little over that out of pocket max.

Old 10-25-2023, 06:33 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Healthcare costs are out of control in the U.S. and health insurance is designed to keep it that way.
https://www.aeaweb.org/research/regu...cal-loss-ratio

Under the ACA Insurers must spend 80% of the premiums collected on providing medical care. They can use the remaining 20% for overhead and profit. WHERE IS THE INCENTIVE TO CUT COST?

What is better for an insurance company's bottom line; a 10,000 dollar procedure or a 20,000 dollar procedure? With the 20k they would be able to pocket 4k whereas at 10k it would only be 2k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance