Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 11:23 AM

381 posts, read 278,864 times

Advertisements

For the first time in about a decade we incurred some interest bearing debt in the form of a car loan, its under 10k simple interest and a payment we can manage at the same time we had some other things happen and had to use our CC to pay some home related things so we have a relatively high balance (4k) on that CC BUT its no interest for 13 months.
Since its been a LONG time that we have been in a situation like this I am undecided on my best course of action.
I can take funds from our emergency acct and payoff one or the other or both but that would take that account below my safety level
I can safely pay $200 month ( but not more) for 12 months which brings the CC down by a little more than half then lump sum it before it changes to interest but if I choose that route things need to go relatively perfect for a year.

the car loan is at 6.9%
my emergency acct is in a CD earning 5% it still has 3 months to maturity

or perhaps wait until it matures and pay off the zero interest card but that leaves us with interest bearing car loan which is better than CC debt at 18+%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 11:27 AM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
We indicates a couple.
If you are working with margins so narrow that you can pay 200/month not more it is time to check very penny of your spending and cut back where you can until these debts are paid off and get second part time jobs.

Old 03-18-2024, 11:50 AM

I forgot to mention that the no interest CC DOES NOT have accrued charges so IF there is a balance after the promo period only the remaining balance is subject to interest

Old 03-18-2024, 12:40 PM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrat View Post
I forgot to mention that the no interest CC DOES NOT have accrued charges so IF there is a balance after the promo period only the remaining balance is subject to interest
It is debt owed and you do not know what other emergencies are on the horizon.

Old 03-18-2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
It is debt owed and you do not know what other emergencies are on the horizon.
That is true as well as trying to decide what constitutes an actual emergency

Old 03-18-2024, 12:54 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Don’t use your emergency savings to pay off the zero interest credit card debt. Why? Because if you do and an emergency happens, you’re going to use the credit card for said emergency and pay much more than 0% interest. Instead, aggressively pay it down while it’s still at 0%, with a goal of paying it off completely before the 0% period expires. If you’re unable to pay off completely in this time frame, then go ahead and use part of your emergency fund to pay it off at the end of the 0% promo period. Then build your emergency savings up back to a level that’s comfortable to you and then chip away at the car loan.

Old 03-18-2024, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Don’t use your emergency savings to pay off the zero interest credit card debt. Why? Because if you do and an emergency happens, you’re going to use the credit card for said emergency and pay much more than 0% interest. Instead, aggressively pay it down while it’s still at 0%, with a goal of paying it off completely before the 0% period expires. If you’re unable to pay off completely in this time frame, then go ahead and use part of your emergency fund to pay it off at the end of the 0% promo period. Then build your emergency savings up back to a level that’s comfortable to you and then chip away at the car loan.
I feel like this is the logical as well as best way of handling this BUT I gotta say after over a decade of ZERO debt, having any feels like a chain around my neck and my impulse is to just pay it off

Old 03-18-2024, 01:23 PM

22,561 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrat View Post
I feel like this is the logical as well as best way of handling this BUT I gotta say after over a decade of ZERO debt, having any feels like a chain around my neck and my impulse is to just pay it off
Then you and your spouse can pick up second jobs, with all the money going to eliminate the debt.

Old 03-18-2024, 01:48 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Going forward I would consider setting up sinking funds for automobiles and home repairs/replacement. It's only a matter of time something will need repairing and IMO not considered an emergency expense.

Old 03-18-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Going forward I would consider setting up sinking funds for automobiles and home repairs/replacement. It's only a matter of time something will need repairing and IMO not considered an emergency expense.
I am unfamiliar with the term sinking funds?

I tend to agree cars are not an emergency until they are though.

we do have funds set aside for various things it was just the double whammy that threw us for a bit of a loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance