Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 01:26 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
another 'personal' thread

No latitude for pertinent info for the next million readers. (or anyone searching for, or coming upon Got a surprise W-2 from my pension administrator)

Poster finds answer.
Poster is contenious and demeaning of discussion (as usual)

WOW. WTF is your problem?

It is certainly not about me, it's a tax question. And no I don't have a concrete answer - I was asking here as SURELY someone else has this same tax situation.

But clearly, your intent is to sideline the thread for your own foolish comments, as usual. Talk about an irrelevant post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 03:09 PM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

No latitude for pertinent info for the next million readers. (or anyone searching for, or coming upon Got a surprise W-2 from my pension administrator)

Poster finds answer.
Poster is contenious and demeaning of discussion (as usual)

Nope, not just her, mine's the same way. Life insurance premium (on which I pay taxes) shows up in Box 1 of a W-2 from my former employer). The first year was 2017. I retired in 2016.

Old 01-27-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't know how else to explain it. It's a permanent benefit. For retirement. Paid on my behalf. Taxable.

Same here. I had the CHOICE to take the life insurance benefit (when I was working, we got the life insurance benefit but did not pay for it).

When I asked, "Well, why WOULDN'T I?" they said, "because you have to pay tax in the benefit in retirement". I took it. I figured if I croak, my daughter could pay off my mortgage or whatever. The premium is around $2400.

This year, by the way, I got a letter saying the value of the life insurance, which is around $300K+, dropped about $24K, but I could pay to make up the difference in value myself if I wanted. I declined. I believe the value of the life insurance diminishes each year now that I am 65 to some point where it won't exist anymore.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same here. I had the CHOICE to take the life insurance benefit (when I was working, we got the life insurance benefit but did not pay for it).

When I asked, "Well, why WOULDN'T I?" they said, "because you have to pay tax in the benefit in retirement". I took it. I figured if I croak, my daughter could pay off my mortgage or whatever. The premium is around $2400.

This year, by the way, I got a letter saying the value of the life insurance, which is around $300K+, dropped about $24K, but I could pay to make up the difference in value myself if I wanted. I declined. I believe the value of the life insurance diminishes each year now that I am 65 to some point where it won't exist anymore.
Ours is simply part of the plan. No opt out as far as I know, but I’m fine with it. Ours diminishes each year by 25% of the original amount. In the 4th year it goes to 25% and stays there. It won’t ever go below that.

Old 01-28-2024, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Ours is simply part of the plan. No opt out as far as I know, but I’m fine with it. Ours diminishes each year by 25% of the original amount. In the 4th year it goes to 25% and stays there. It won’t ever go below that.
We had the choice, but why not? For the small amount of paying a little tax on the premium, I have life insurance.

I also have a flat 35k death benefit on my pension.

Old 01-28-2024, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We had the choice, but why not? For the small amount of paying a little tax on the premium, I have life insurance.
Agreed. It’s a great benefit.

Old 01-28-2024, 09:01 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,153,774 times
Quote:
Yes, and taxable fringe benefits ARE considered to be earned income, in every definition I have found.

I don't have a "tax advisor". I do my own taxes, but I do have two cousins that are CPAs and do taxes - I will check with them to be sure.
I agree that the image you attached to this post makes it clear (the "taxable fringe benefits" part) that yes, you can make a Roth contribution for the $2800. If your CPA cousin(s) have a different opinion, please post back what it is and why.

This is a helpful thread to "not just you". Sheesh, I learned something by reading here, even if it doesn't apply to me personally at this time. But I have family & friends who are newly retired or retiring soon, so it might come up in conversation with them. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2024, 10:29 AM

4,875 posts, read 4,821,065 times
Quote:

The cost of employer paid life insurance up to $50K of insurance is tax exempt. Cost of amounts over $50K are taxable income.

Old 01-28-2024, 10:54 AM

7,908 posts, read 3,885,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
The cost of employer paid life insurance up to $50K of insurance is tax exempt. Cost of amounts over $50K are taxable income.
True - but is it considered earned income?

Old 01-28-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Yes. I am well aware. I worked on payroll software programs for years, so as a part of my job I had to be able to calculate the imputed value to add it to the W-2s.

But I’ve never worked with it from a retiree fringe benefit perspective.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 01-28-2024 at 12:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance