Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 10:27 AM

37,720 posts, read 46,158,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But still--my first question would be "OK, how do I pay my taxes now" and run over to the town hall to talk to the clerk.
Right? This is just basics in homeownership. I expect that there are very few people that don't know they have to continue to pay real estate taxes when they pay off the mortgage. It's stupid simple to make a phone call to the city treasurer (or whoever you pay taxes to) or send an email, or just get in the car and pay them a visit. Or...you can just wait for the bill to show up, And they WILL send a bill! You can bet money on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:31 AM

35,285 posts, read 17,183,797 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't they pay the property taxes? Surely they are smart enough to know to go to the municipality and pay the tax. Even my 83-year-old old lady friend, whose brother paid off her mortgage for her a few years ago, knows to go over to the municipal hall and pay her property tax on her condo.
Quote:
But still--my first question would be "OK, how do I pay my taxes now" and run over to the town hall to talk to the clerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Right? This is just basics in homeownership. I expect that there are very few people that don't know they have to continue to pay real estate taxes when they pay off the mortgage. It's stupid simple to make a phone call to the city treasurer (or whoever you pay taxes to) or send an email, or just get in the car and pay them a visit. Or...you can just wait for the bill to show up, And they WILL send a bill! You can bet money on that.
I never said these people were the most sophisticated in the world. Indeed, the fact that some mortgages require an escrow provides the lender protection from property tax interests in "Blackacre," which are senior to that of the mortgage lien. My mortgages have always been non-escrow, but my wife and I are obviously self-disciplined, intelligent people.

Old Today, 07:38 PM

37,720 posts, read 46,158,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I never said these people were the most sophisticated in the world. Indeed, the fact that some mortgages require an escrow provides the lender protection from property tax interests in "Blackacre," which are senior to that of the mortgage lien. My mortgages have always been non-escrow, but my wife and I are obviously self-disciplined, intelligent people.
Plenty of people that are “self-disciplined and intelligent” have escrowed mortgages. It’s simply convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance