Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 10:27 AM

188 posts, read 135,847 times

Advertisements

No.

Only my Wife and I know our salaries and net worth. In my family, bad things will happen if they knew our net worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 10:29 AM

188 posts, read 135,847 times
Wanna know how to spot broke people?

They look like they have money!

Old 04-25-2024, 07:01 AM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
A lot of people do know how to google things though. Did you ever have anyone tell you how much you made? I did. I even had one guy put it in a reply in a comments section of a local news organization.
No, nobody did, BUT I did see comments like that in the area newspaper about some of my coworkers, particularly those in higher positions. Usually the comments were moronic. For example, someone posted our Chief Engineer's salary with a comment about how he must be a friend of a politician to get that kind of money. The guy had been with the agency for 25 years, since he was out of college, and had worked his way into the position. Further, the commenter was obviously too stupid to know that this guy's salary was pretty ho-hum for someone of his qualifications and that in the private sector he'd be worth much more. Which he is now that he has retired and gone to the other side.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post

Hahahaha there is truth to that.

Sometimes it works the other way, too. One of the regulars on the commuter train I took from where I used to live wore jeans and sweats and sneakers, always looked rumpled, but his family was very wealthy and owned a lot of NYC real estate and investments.

Years ago, I read a story about dressing like you are rich. The article said the very wealthy, old-money types will spend bucks on a good classic overcoat or suit or pair of shoes and then wear them forever. They aren't running around in the latest fashions looking glitzy and sparkly.

Old 04-25-2024, 11:50 AM

6,348 posts, read 2,903,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, nobody did, BUT I did see comments like that in the area newspaper about some of my coworkers, particularly those in higher positions. Usually the comments were moronic. For example, someone posted our Chief Engineer's salary with a comment about how he must be a friend of a politician to get that kind of money. The guy had been with the agency for 25 years, since he was out of college, and had worked his way into the position. Further, the commenter was obviously too stupid to know that this guy's salary was pretty ho-hum for someone of his qualifications and that in the private sector he'd be worth much more. Which he is now that he has retired and gone to the other side.
One guy had his wages published in a huge newspaper article. He was making more in overtime pay than regular pay and it added up to a lot of money.

Old 04-25-2024, 02:58 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,666,638 times
I've been mistaken for many things never for being financially secure. One day at Costco the guy handing out
free samples asked if I was a homeless Vietnam vet, informed him that I was not homeless. A waiter at a restaurant
asked what indigenous trip I belonged to, I said Europache. Friends of my son asked him if I was a Mexican mafia member.
Our close friends must pay for a site that does background investigations. One day she said there were 20 years without
any records, I told her it was because I used an alias. The same friends assumed that we had some money, but they're
off by millions.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:07 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,261,224 times
No one but my wife knows our net worth and income. That will not change

Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
One guy had his wages published in a huge newspaper article. He was making more in overtime pay than regular pay and it added up to a lot of money.
That happened mostly with our cops.

Old Today, 12:02 PM

17,594 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post

You mean all those people we saw driving around Boca and Miami this winter? We saw more Bentleys, Maseratis, Ferraris, Porsches, Jags than we have ever seen before(and even a Mclaren)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance