Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 10:07 AM

6,723 posts, read 5,974,391 times

Advertisements

I, like millions of others, have a Citibank Visa card as part of my CostCo membership. The credit limit is $1000. They just declined my request to raise the limit.

I don't carry a balance, never late with payment, no debts except for two mortgages – our home plus an investment property – that are both well above water. My credit rating is superb. My Chase Visa has a $22K credit limit.

I'd like a higher limit because Costco shopping expeditions can get expensive. Two or three in one month and I might blow through that $1K. Also, I'd like to get the wife a new Mac laptop which will easily exceed $1K.

What's the deal with Citibank being stingy on credit limits? Seems like it's not good for Costco. I've talked to both companies and have spent hours on the phone with their escalation team. All that time and trouble wasted.

I just use my other Visa or else my ATM Visa when shopping at Costco, but I think I get more rebate when I use the "official" visa.

I quit a high paying job in '22 and now I'm back with them, working as a part time contractor. My income is not as high as it was in '22 but it's not zero. Do credit card companies not take net assets into account when evaluating someone's creditworthiness? If you have moderate income but lots of assets, is that not acceptable for a $5K credit limit? Seems like I'm missing something here.

Last edited by blisterpeanuts; 05-08-2024 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 10:09 AM

130,936 posts, read 12,226,382 times
If you come close to your credit limit, then pay the bill online & get the balance to zero again, then you can buy more things. They should tell you why you are not approved for a higher limit.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:13 AM

8,056 posts, read 3,974,365 times
My Costco Visa limit is many multiples higher than yours. I recall at one point we asked for a higher limit and they increased it. I told them I was buying something expensive and wanted to charge it on my Costco Visa and they gave me the higher limit.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:18 AM

6,723 posts, read 5,974,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If you come close to your credit limit, then pay the bill online & get the balance to zero again, then you can buy more things. They should tell you why you are not approved for a higher limit.
They told me (today) that I have too much debt. But the only debt I have is my two mortgages. It might also be that they don't know my exact income right now since it originates in Europe, so maybe they view me as $0 income and $XXX,XXX in debt therefore not a good risk.

I guess I should just swallow my pride and spend up to the limit each month (currently I spend much more than that on my other Visa which has a higher limit), and maybe it will convince the algorithm to allow higher limit.

By the way, interestingly, I tried to get an Apple credit card a few months ago because it sounded kind of innovative, and they turned me down as well. I've apparently fallen into some kind of black hole of untrustworthiness...

Old 05-08-2024, 11:21 AM

13,116 posts, read 7,591,005 times
From my experience, Credit is issued by Income, not assets; while Rate is assigned by card's features. CC debt is unsecured. We the CC-Visa/MC as a purchasing payments cards.

I can get a higher CC limit at my CU (no frills, low apr) than at Citi-Costco (cashback, high apr) card.
I purposely keep the CC's limits far below what the CC has authorized.
My stated income (verifiable) is far higher than my line 15, taxable income.

Old 05-15-2024, 07:35 AM

1,789 posts, read 2,390,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
From my experience, Credit is issued by Income, not assets; while Rate is assigned by card's features. CC debt is unsecured. We the CC-Visa/MC as a purchasing payments cards.

I can get a higher CC limit at my CU (no frills, low apr) than at Citi-Costco (cashback, high apr) card.
I purposely keep the CC's limits far below what the CC has authorized.
My stated income (verifiable) is far higher than my line 15, taxable income.
This actually makes more sense. What does it matter to a credit card issuer that an applicant has assets when a person has to use cash to pay off revolving debt?

Old 05-15-2024, 10:06 AM

13,116 posts, read 7,591,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
This actually makes more sense. What does it matter to a credit card issuer that an applicant has assets when a person has to use cash to pay off revolving debt?
IMO, has to do with what is verifiable by third parties. Stated assets is not verifiable but may be subject to fraud laws. -see Trump NY, early 2024.

Revolvers need cash flow to be sustainable. They are not asset backed other than your implied promise to pay.
Assets can already be pledge to other debt (liens). Or just out of reach of lenders-ie penions, IRA.

Old 05-15-2024, 10:53 AM

22,659 posts, read 47,859,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
They told me (today) that I have too much debt. But the only debt I have is my two mortgages. It might also be that they don't know my exact income right now since it originates in Europe, so maybe they view me as $0 income and $XXX,XXX in debt therefore not a good risk.

I guess I should just swallow my pride and spend up to the limit each month (currently I spend much more than that on my other Visa which has a higher limit), and maybe it will convince the algorithm to allow higher limit.
Maxxing out cards does not show them that you know how to manage debt.
You have too much debt by doing that!

Old 05-16-2024, 12:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,715 posts, read 81,596,197 times
I thought all of the credit card companies were tightening up lately due to the amount of late payments, to reduce their risk. My Costco card limit was raised twice, most recently a couple of years ago, and is well more than I would ever need. Because of the cash back we use it for everything, and pay the balance every month so we never get charged interest.

Old 05-16-2024, 01:30 PM

5,341 posts, read 8,572,499 times
I had the opposite happen a while back. I have a Citi card and for 3-4 years, I paid it off in full every month. Never missed a payment. And was only charging about 1/3 of the limit per month. Then one month I forgot to make the payment. As soon as I noticed, I immediately paid the full balance.

Here is what surprised me - very soon after that late payment, they raised my credit limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance