Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:23 AM

37,702 posts, read 46,130,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Exactly, link it to a CC. You get points if it's a points card, you can easily dispute charges with a CC company and even get other perks, and they don't get access to your bank account if they try something funny.

I purchased something very minimal online (not through PP) with a linked checking account once and the account was cleaned out by later that day. Fortunately, my bank put a hold on the transfer because it was going to Indonesia (something I was completely unaware of) and because it was for the exact dollar amount in my checking account. Ever since, I rarely link my checking account to anything other than my local utilities and internet provider. Everything else goes to a CC so I can dispute and get a refund.

I don't care if they only let me have one linked card. I just pay it off with a transfer from my bank account every month.
Well there's your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:45 AM

14,265 posts, read 14,797,524 times
I would never use PayPal for anything other then sending money to someone I know and it comes out of my checking account. Since a break up with my young lady friend (one year), I have not used it at all.

Old Today, 12:31 PM

37,702 posts, read 46,130,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I would never use PayPal for anything other then sending money to someone I know and it comes out of my checking account. Since a break up with my young lady friend (one year), I have not used it at all.
There are many online vendors that use Paypal for payments. I like it as it is very easy, and it is just like using my CC but I don't have to enter my CC information (it goes through a verification process).

Old Today, 12:46 PM

2,520 posts, read 2,731,649 times
I alway find it funny how people fear technology like PayPal or gripe about things like 2FA and such, but you are more likely to experience fraud by using simple email or giving your credit card to a waiter.

Old Today, 02:04 PM

9,895 posts, read 7,781,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
There are many online vendors that use Paypal for payments. I like it as it is very easy, and it is just like using my CC but I don't have to enter my CC information (it goes through a verification process).
Yes, we get payments for our online sales through PayPal every day. I don't have a credit card linked, my bank account is linked so I can transfer the PayPal funds in. I use my PayPal debit card for cash back and twice today I paid for work expenses with my PayPal balance.

There's lots of ways to set it up.

Old Today, 02:15 PM

31,976 posts, read 27,118,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I'm unsure what the issue is here. You can change your 'preferred' linked CC with paypal at any time. Any pending transactions on that card will complete of course, but anything after the change won't route through that card. Same for removing that card. I just went and double-checked that they hadn't changed anything. I was able to remove my preferred credit card and re-add it with no issue.

Linking to my CC is much preferred over the other option of linking to my checking account.

The 'preferred' credit card has been a standard for PayPal for many years, so maybe I'm just not understanding the issue. If you personally prefer a checking account to be linked, I believe you can still make that change as well.
If there is only one valid CC on file with PP then you cannot unlink it as "preferred". That is what will be used unless another CC is added and or a bank account.

Old Today, 02:28 PM

4,249 posts, read 6,929,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If there is only one valid CC on file with PP then you cannot unlink it as "preferred". That is what will be used unless another CC is added and or a bank account.
I'm still confused what your issue is. What you just described is the default for almost any vendor (retailer or payment interface vendor alike): If you only have one credit card on file, it will, by default, be the 'preferred'. The 'preferred' option only becomes a real option when you have more than one card on file to allow you to set a preference.

To me, what you just described is just normal functionality for this type of service. I'm still unclear on what the actual problem or complaint is.

Old Today, 03:05 PM

2,520 posts, read 2,731,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I'm still confused what your issue is. What you just described is the default for almost any vendor (retailer or payment interface vendor alike): If you only have one credit card on file, it will, by default, be the 'preferred'. The 'preferred' option only becomes a real option when you have more than one card on file to allow you to set a preference.

To me, what you just described is just normal functionality for this type of service. I'm still unclear on what the actual problem or complaint is.
+1
Would love the OP to provide clarity.

Old Today, 11:07 PM

3,337 posts, read 1,830,798 times
I don't see the problem either.
Ya gotta use someone's CC to post the charge, right?
IMO it's not wise to use your DDA account for PayPal as others have noted.

Here's how I use PayPal billing for online payments:

I create a Virtual CC on my issuers website which is linked to the real credit card number and which can be cancelled instantly online by me. If it gets compromised I go back and trash the old virtual number, create a NEW virtual number and insert it as the new PayPal 'preferred payment'!
And the actual card stays safely tucked away at home.

Of course I have another card for purchases made when I am present in the flesh.
I have changed virtual numbers once simply as a pre-emptive security measure... like changing passwords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance