Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2024, 11:48 AM

11,124 posts, read 6,713,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
That makes no difference on the tax rate on your earning up to the beginning of the next tax bracket. You'll pay higher taxes ONLY on the amount that EXCEEDS that level of taxable income. It's not going to increase your tax rate one cent on the amount BELOW the next tax bracket.

Oh thanks. We were confused about that. If only the $6,000 is taxed, that's not so bad.

I seem to recall hearing about employees who got a raise only to then push them into a higher tax bracket, so eliminating any real gains. I was worried this might be the same thing....

We do look at the account once or twice a year. I should not have said "never", lol.

Thanks you-all. C-D is more helpful than a couple hours on Google!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2024, 12:37 PM

107,117 posts, read 109,467,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Oh thanks. We were confused about that. If only the $6,000 is taxed, that's not so bad.

I seem to recall hearing about employees who got a raise only to then push them into a higher tax bracket, so eliminating any real gains. I was worried this might be the same thing....

We do look at the account once or twice a year. I should not have said "never", lol.

most people of no clue about anything financial so the misinformation and myth that perpetuates is not surprising

Old 05-19-2024, 02:27 PM

6,644 posts, read 7,387,909 times
Quote:

This is made up numbers but the idea is correct.
Lets say you earn 10,000 and your tax rate is 10%. Your tax is 1,000
Lets say you earn 20,000 and the tax rate is 10%. Your tax is 2,000.
But lets say that if you earn more than 15,000 your tax rate goes to 20%
You do not pay 20% on the 20000 or 4000 in taxes,
Thus on the 20,000 you would pay 1500 on the first 15,000. 10%
Then you would pay 20% on the next 5,000 or 1,000.
Total tax is 2500. Not 4,000.

Old 05-19-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most people of no clue about anything financial so the misinformation and myth that perpetuates is not surprising
Yep. That's us. It doesn't help that my family considered money to be sacred and would not speak about it. My dad refused to discuss money and though affluent, never was in the stock market. We don't even know anyone in the stock market now.

Schools don't teach it until college, if you choose those courses.

Anyway, are you saying that the idea of someone being bumped into a higher tax bracket by a raise, is a myth?

Old 05-19-2024, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
This is made up numbers but the idea is correct.
Lets say you earn 10,000 and your tax rate is 10%. Your tax is 1,000
Lets say you earn 20,000 and the tax rate is 10%. Your tax is 2,000.
But lets say that if you earn more than 15,000 your tax rate goes to 20%
You do not pay 20% on the 20000 or 4000 in taxes,
Thus on the 20,000 you would pay 1500 on the first 15,000. 10%
Then you would pay 20% on the next 5,000 or 1,000.
Total tax is 2500. Not 4,000.
Good to know, thanks. Makes sense.

Old 05-19-2024, 04:06 PM

10,822 posts, read 5,750,969 times
Quote:
Yep. That's us. It doesn't help that my family considered money to be sacred and would not speak about it. My dad refused to discuss money and though affluent, never was in the stock market. We don't even know anyone in the stock market now.

Schools don't teach it until college, if you choose those courses.

Anyway, are you saying that the idea of someone being bumped into a higher tax bracket by a raise, is a myth?
The myth is that it’s a huge problem.

As others have already addressed, the higher bracket tax rate only applies to the earnings within that bracket. The lower bracket rate(s) apply to the income in the lower brackets.

Old 05-19-2024, 06:12 PM

6,009 posts, read 4,238,403 times
Quote:
Yes, DH brought that up, since right now we teeter on the knife-edge of another tax bracket.
(Edit...just saw this first paragraph has been addressed) It's a misconception that you can be pushed into a higher tax bracket and suddenly have a higher rate apply to all of your income. The higher rate only applies to the amount above that tax bracket cutoff.

You should pay off the card as it's almost certainly at a higher rate than your investments are bringing. And, really, your investments would need to be a good amount higher since you pay taxes on investment income, meaning your alternative investment scenario needs to be even better.

Old 05-19-2024, 06:25 PM

3,088 posts, read 3,370,791 times
Quote:
We've never withdrawn above our 4% in the several years we've had the account. That is automatic, we don't even look at the account.

But today I did, and saw it was about $6,000 over the original principal. We have a one-time CC debt of that much (we usually pay it all off every month). Would there be any reason not to take that 6 grand out since we won't be touching the principal? I'd rather not pay interest on this one-time debt.

I read several articles about withdrawing, but they all referred to liquidating an account, not a small one-time withdrawal. This is a managed Fidelity-type account. 60% bonds, if that makes any difference.
The only concern would be if you have to pay tax on the $6k. If it doesn't push you into next bracket would be fine.

Second concern is if you are forced to do any withholding on the $6k. If you take 10% could be $600. So you end up depositing $5,400. Some may do this for estimated taxes. Could be a problem if you need $6k to cover the debt.

Big concern over why you need to withdraw to make CC payment. Maybe this could have been planned better? If this was emergency maybe you need fund large enough to cover the debt. Depending on the card with $35-$40 in late fees + 20% to 40% interest yes pay the CC ASAP.

Old Today, 10:43 AM

633 posts, read 298,600 times
The OP mentioned they've had the account "several years". Most likely they are selling holdings that were purchased more than one year ago. If so, they would pay long-term capital gains taxes on the growth. The long-term capital gains tax rate is no greater than 15% for most people. Lets say that the shares doubled in value in 3 years. The cost-basis for the $6000 was $3000. This means they would pay 15% on $3000 which is only $450. I doubt their taxes would be more than that.

Old Today, 04:20 PM

37,742 posts, read 46,213,517 times
Quote:

People that say that are not truthful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance