Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:37 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,994,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
The spread is usually considerably larger than 20% because scrap has to be melted and assayed and all of that costs $$$$. (50% is about right.) The price for gold coins is different because coins are standardized and don't have to be melted or assayed -- just weighed. They are resold as is. Gold scrap has to be refabricated into something before it can be sold again.

With gold jewelry, you need to know what karat the jewelry is. Spot price is based on 24K but most gold in jewelry is mixed with other metals and is less than 24K. (10K, 14K and 18K are common.)

I buy gold scrap but usually only locally because I like to see it first.
Wow! Was I ever off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 11:11 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,728,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
The spread is usually considerably larger than 20% because scrap has to be melted and assayed and all of that costs $$$$. (50% is about right.) The price for gold coins is different because coins are standardized and don't have to be melted or assayed -- just weighed. They are resold as is. Gold scrap has to be refabricated into something before it can be sold again.

With gold jewelry, you need to know what karat the jewelry is. Spot price is based on 24K but most gold in jewelry is mixed with other metals and is less than 24K. (10K, 14K and 18K are common.)

I buy gold scrap but usually only locally because I like to see it first.
Good answer UB. Here is another one for ya. I know gold is almost always mixed with other metals so you have less then 24K in most all jewlery. What about silver? It is almost always .999 or .995. Do you think 50% less spot is a typical offer for scrap silver since it is almost always pure?

Old 06-09-2008, 11:16 AM

I think people should certainly retain their scrap silver. Silver prices, IMHO, are severely undervalued in relation to gold. The ratio of 45 to 1 reflects this. Silver is used for industrial purposes, depleting its available supply. In addition, it's estimated there is very little silver within the Earth's crust compared to gold.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:30 PM

11,839 posts, read 29,018,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Thanks barkingowl but that gives the value in retail price. Retail price is not what a jewlery store or a pawn shop will pay in scrap value. That is the number I am looking for. I can find no info on it.

Any ideas???

Thanks

If you leave the Markup/Discount field at zero you will get the scrap price.
You have to enter the fineness of the gold i.e., 14kt, 18kt etc. If you want the retail price enter 300 into the markup field.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,200,713 times
Quote:
Good answer UB. Here is another one for ya. I know gold is almost always mixed with other metals so you have less then 24K in most all jewlery. What about silver? It is almost always .999 or .995. Do you think 50% less spot is a typical offer for scrap silver since it is almost always pure?
Sterling (the silver standard in the USA) is .925. European silver is often .800, Chinese silver .900 -- silver can be all over the place. The only silver I've ever seen that is close to pure (.999) is bullion coins and bars. Unless you are really savvy on this stuff, don't buy any silver that isn't stamped "Sterling" or ".925". Silver is also mixed with other metals because pure silver is very soft.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:22 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,396,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I think people should certainly retain their scrap silver. Silver prices, IMHO, are severely undervalued in relation to gold. The ratio of 45 to 1 reflects this. Silver is used for industrial purposes, depleting its available supply. In addition, it's estimated there is very little silver within the Earth's crust compared to gold.
I did a short search on Silver depletion but couldn't find anything substantial on it. Do you have any good sites I could check out?

Old 06-09-2008, 03:09 PM

21 posts, read 114,179 times
Gold coins and bullion from Centennial Precious Metals

that is where alot of people on the jewelry forum at qvc site have been talking and selling their old gold and silver to --read good things from these women and they explained so much. go to qvc.com-- then click on community-- then click jewelry forum and do a search for selling old go. they got paid alot more from usa gold then from the local places
good luck

Old 06-09-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I did a short search on Silver depletion but couldn't find anything substantial on it. Do you have any good sites I could check out?
The Case For Silver

Silver Shortages Misunderstood « Truth is Treason in the Empire of Lies

Free Preview - WSJ.com

The research isn't complete and is kind of spread out, but perhaps someone knows of a geological report that confirms these assertions?

If I didn't mention it before, silver is also consumed in larger quantities than gold for industrial purposes, in addition to being a monetary store.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:05 AM

11,839 posts, read 29,018,338 times
Here's a better scrap calculator.
The Gold Scrap Conversion Table & Melt Value Calculator

Old 08-14-2009, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,783 times
Quote:
Can anyone post some advice on how to find a trustable business that buys scrap gold and silver? Should one steer clear of those who advertise to come to your house? Should one go to legit brick and mortar stores only?

I see gold hit over $900 today. What does that mean as far as what a dealer will pay for scrap?

Any rule of thumb what one should be paid for scrap gold or silver? Is there a wholesale price as a guide? Are buyers required to use a certified scale or can they just use a postage scale bought at Office Max?

Thanks in advance............
ok here in Nassau Bay............you are welcome to meet me at any bank or somewhere secure so
you can weigh your gold and or silver on my professional scale.281 333-4886 in the business for 38 years..............sherril
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance