Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 06:59 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Already I'm leaning toward closing the account and not opening another CC, period.
And when you need something like a car loan, your interest rate will be higher, meaning you'll pay more.

Finance companies judge the risk of making loans, if you cant show them that you'll responsible with your credit, i.e. having cards and not using them or paying them on time, your interest rate will be higher then had you had established accounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 07:02 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Your credit score is determined by how much you owe compared to how much you make among other things. Building good credit will come in handy if you want to finance a car, rent a home or eventually buy a home but having a lot of credit cards is not necessary. You should really only have one major credit card with a balance that is paid off. What the credit reporting agencies are looking for his how you pay your off your cards...the lowest amount or more than needed. It isn't a bad idea if you have self control to pay off your purchase over a period of a few months paying more than asked. That is what develops credit history. Not opening a card and paying if off right away and then close the account. Closing accounts hurts your credit score....after your debt is paid on a card put it away for emergencies or if you want to build more credit but only if you have self control,pay it off in a few months. When my parent's wanted to buy there first house they couldn't because they paid cash for everything. They actually had to buy something on credit and pay it off to establish their credit....good credit. Now that they are very well established, when they charge something it is paid in full the next month.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:10 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
I just looked at my credit scores. I got an "average" rating for length of credit history because my oldest account was "only" 13 years old. Looking at the explanation provided with my report, it takes having an account that is at least 19 years old to get a good rating in this area. You might as well start getting your time in now. Just because you have the card doesn't mean you need to use it.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I always never activate this kind of card when they finally send it. Do waht you want.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:19 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,364 times
Your credit score will be hurt if you close your account now. Leave it open now that you have the card. Leave it open for a period of time. Closing it will put a ding in the credit rating. Also, repeat credit checks will put a ding in your credit score so you might want to minimize the amount of times you get your credit checked per year.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:56 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
If there is no annual fee, I don't see any reason to close the account. Just keep the card in your wallet, if you see a legitimate bargain at that store, go ahead and charge it.

I *do* like to do the 90 days same as cash deals, free interest for a year, etc., *BUT* I do keep up with what's coming due when, and pay it off before the interest charges start.

To paraphrase Jefferson, credit is a dangerous servant and a terrible master - but keep an eye on your balances, never forget that when you charge something you are spending real money - and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance