Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:07 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
You should pay it if it goes to collection and then become a thorn in their ass over it. >>> baby talk me on what it means....

damn it! you know i actually did try to pay it via phone... before the collection brouhaha. but for some reason their good for nothing pay via phone method is NOT working. i input my CC number for several times and it ALWAYS says cant process...
send them a check via certified mail.

Quote:
if i pay the freaking $30 will my credit STILL be ruined?
Call them and tell them you want to pay it right away and ask them if they have already reported it to the credit companies. if they have, tell them you'll pay it right away but you want the derogatory entry on your reports DELETED (not shown "paid"). Get it in writing.

Quote:

if i dont pay it... will the credit card interest only the one affected? it won't affect me anyway.. i always pay my bills in FULL.
if you dont pay and it hits your credit profile your score GOES DOWN.

Everything can be effected. You will look like someone who doesn't pay sometimes.

This is why you don't let these things get this far.

Quote:
im not irresponsible or delusional like most CC holders who spend money they don't have in the first place then pretend they dont have bills and they just woke up one day they drowned with debts.
actually, most credit card holders ARE repsonsible. In debt yes, but debt is not always irresponsible.

The problem cc holders are probably the same people who got Alt A and Sub-prime loans for their homes who are now being foreclosed on. Again, NOT the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 02:18 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Quote:
damn it! you know i actually did try to pay it via phone... before the collection brouhaha. but for some reason their good for nothing pay via phone method is NOT working. i input my CC number for several times and it ALWAYS says cant process...

if i pay the freaking $30 will my credit STILL be ruined?

if i dont pay it... will the credit card interest only the one affected? it won't affect me anyway.. i always pay my bills in FULL. im not irresponsible or delusional like most CC holders who spend money they don't have in the first place then pretend they dont have bills and they just woke up one day they drowned with debts.
If a request for $30 from insurance bothers you that much, you would have had a coronary if you saw the $4600 bill I got from Liberty Mutual asking me to pay for repairs, which turned into $5600 since I missed it and it went to collections. (My insurance co. got me out of it, no impact to credit report.)

I'm not understanding why you have to pay extra as you should have already paid for that period. Many insurance co's have you make 4 payments, one per month, then nothing for 2 mo's so you always pay well ahead. If they are charging you according to a schedule so that you are sometimes behind, that is very strange.

And why the heck would you go from Allstate to State Farm, anyway? That's like going from a puma to a wolverine.

Last edited by sonarrat; 08-18-2008 at 02:30 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 03:47 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
When you canceled your policy you lost the ability to pay by phone or online. Write a check and mail it in. I'm sure they gave you an envelope to do so.

Allstate bills 6 equal monthly installments for a 6 month premium. Depending on the day of the month that you canceled you will owe a slight balance or get a slight refund. You said you saved big by switching, so fork over the $30 and quit raising your blood pressure over it! I don't think you've got the money.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:02 PM

389 posts, read 1,986,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post

And why the heck would you go from Allstate to State Farm, anyway? That's like going from a puma to a wolverine.
what does it mean? that i made a bad switch? but they gave me lower premium and better coverage.. thats why i switch.. okay... so? if i pay that freaking $30 (in protest) what payment stub will i use? the one from allstate... or the one from this freaking collectors?

shld i call allstate? their office is near my house. i honestly dont wanna see their faces or contact them if i can avoid it. it is ridiculous. i did not pay coz they tell me they will make their manager call me but no manager calls me. and so i dont pay.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:15 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Quote:
what does it mean? that i made a bad switch? but they gave me lower premium and better coverage.. thats why i switch.. okay... so? if i pay that freaking $30 (in protest) what payment stub will i use? the one from allstate... or the one from this freaking collectors?

shld i call allstate? their office is near my house. i honestly dont wanna see their faces or contact them if i can avoid it. it is ridiculous. i did not pay coz they tell me they will make their manager call me but no manager calls me. and so i dont pay.
State Farm and Allstate both have absolutely terrible records when it comes to bad-faith denials of claims, cancelling policies, and jacking up their prices into the stratosphere. Chubb or Amica would have been a better choice.

The people in the office are probably agents who aren't set up to receive payments, but you can certainly go and give them an earful and see if they can do anything for you. The best solution is to mail them the check and be on your way, no more damage will be done and you can go on with your life.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:10 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
i ask this coz i have no plan to pay the $30 RIDICULOUS outstanding bill allstate car insurance company told me i owed them when i cancelled my policy.
I blew mine off. When the collections company came after me I just followed the FDCPA and got rid of them (and the debt and the trade-line off of my credit report).

Old 08-18-2008, 09:00 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
I believe all Allstate offices can take your payment. I've been in many to make mine. If you decide to end this...mail your payment directly to Allstate; ignore the collector.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:09 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I believe all Allstate offices can take your payment. I've been in many to make mine. If you decide to end this...mail your payment directly to Allstate; ignore the collector.
That won't help. They have a contractual agreement with the collection agency. Send the payment to Allstate and they forward it to the collection agency who takes their cut, and gives the rest to AllState, then you have a paid collection ding on your credit report that will haunt you for 7.5 years.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:44 AM

523 posts, read 1,417,455 times
This thread is hilarious.

The OP doesn't understand that some months have more days than other months. Therefore, that fixed amount that you pay each month may cover the entire month, it may cover an extra day or two, or it may be a little short and not cover one or two days.

The company clearly stated that they took the entire premium, dividied it by 365 days and then multiplied it by the number of days he had coverage. They then subtracted what he has already paid, and the remaining balance was $30.

This is basic math, not rocket science.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:03 PM

389 posts, read 1,986,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I blew mine off. When the collections company came after me I just followed the FDCPA and got rid of them (and the debt and the trade-line off of my credit report).
what do you mean followed the FDCPA? and trade-line off of my credit report...

ya i dont plan to pay it too. like i said i dont have problem paying if i understAND what i am paying for..

and mojo thanks for the "explanation" but guess what.. i still dont get your "basic math"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance