Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 06:38 AM

32,987 posts, read 36,507,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
really ?

not only do i hunt and fish but my wife has her licenses too and hunts with me . .

i have been hunting for for more than 20 years and my wife 15 years which is why we bought the house in the pocono's in the first place .

we are actually headed fishing today . but life in retirement is a whole lot more to us than hunting season and so we ended up selling the house 3 years ago . but we still hunt .

i still do winter camping trips in tents with my buddy' almost every year too .

next year i am hoping to go up to canada for a caribou hunt , no wife on this one though .

see , you don't know people at all .
I only know the you that I read here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 07:31 AM

107,009 posts, read 109,295,440 times
that is just usually the financial side of me or the photographer side . both of us like fishing and go often , in fact going tomorrow .

just got our hunting licenses saturday for this season . we usually both pistol hunt .

Old 08-17-2015, 11:52 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
A woman at work went on forced retirement, but she's having a hard time tearing herself away from there, so she comes back to fill in for other people on vacations and parental leaves. She told me that "work" is all she's known in spite of raising a family. A perfect example of someone who's never cultivated outside interests, which I think is a responsibility for everybody. For the workplace to be someone's only interest just sounds preposterous to me, especially since I, and at least a dozen people at my employment, are still working only for the medical - otherwise, we'd ALL be out of there in a flash!
Agreed. When I tell people that I plan on retiring next year, they all ask me, "what are you going to do with yourself?"

Doh.
  • I'm a very serious gardener; I keep two, 35 miles apart, now. Next year they'll both be bigger and neater.
  • I sew. I could be a dress-maker if I was so inclined; I used to make almost all my own clothes.
  • I am an historian by training and by avocation. I am endlessly intrigued by local history and by geneology.
  • I love to cook, and especially, to bake. I'm the "Cookie Lady", especially at Christmas, when I bake about 15 different kinds of Christmas cookies that I spoil my family and friends with.
  • I knit and crochet. I've got one vest done, and another almost complete, both since about late July.
  • I quilt.
  • I'm an amateur photographer with decent skills. I've even had a few of my digital images used on web sites (by charitable/public institutions).
  • I am an NFL, specifically Buffalo Bills, fanatic who goes to at least a couple of games every season! The rest I watch religiously. I've already got my buffalo hat ready to go!!! If they make the playoffs, I'm hosting a playoff bash at my house!
  • I have a broad range of reading interests, primarily non-fiction (history, science, biography) but I also like to read trashy historical romance novels on occasion.
  • I'm devoted to spoiling my dog with excursions to the local parks so he can satisfy his "inner wolf" and to the various dog parks so he can play with his buds and mooch pets from other dog parents.

That's what I do now when I work full time. When I retire, I want to get back into watercolor painting; I want to volunteer to help other seniors who might not be as fortunate as I am; and I want to travel. My dream is for my dog Tucker Bee and I to travel across the US by car (possibly by RV), emulating John Steinbeck in Travels With Charlie. Tucker Bee is a standard poodle, too!

Old 08-17-2015, 12:05 PM

26,198 posts, read 21,672,697 times
I have a lot of traveling and exploring I want to do. Even 30 years down the road Id still have more I would want to do

Old 08-17-2015, 04:19 PM

2,783 posts, read 2,089,445 times
Funny how so many of us from Retirement found this same thread. I'm sure I will always do some work. Just a lot less calendar days of it. Like Matt, I like the interaction with my technical and professional peers, and I'll be brutally honest, I LOVE getting PAID for something I really enjoy doing and am very, very good at. I enjoy the spotlight and the kudos that come with a job well done and appreciated by the customer and employers. Especially if I don't need the money to live, it is just such a buzz to watch that savings and investment grow, even if you earn it to spend most of it on luxury things like Business class travel and nice hotels. One thing I have to admit is that I doubt I could enjoy an endless vacation. I worry that my wife will not share that same view. She's been retired for 6 years now, (is 5 years older than I) and is content with just doing "stuff" day after day. I'm fine with that, but I hope she doesn't expect the same from me. She hates to travel by car, and I love to drive. Cross country trek by car? I'm THERE! Never in a million years would she.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:40 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,117,599 times
The way some people, like myself included, are when it comes to finances, retirement quickly becomes a bit of a myth.
Unless some of us learn enough lessons within a set amount of time before we reach the elderly stage, working whatever amount of hours we have to to get by for as long as we have to will suffice.

That said, I'm going to do all I have to in order to move into easier positions as the years creep up.
Hard work now, light-hour desk jockey job when in you 60s and older.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:05 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,964,157 times
I'm right there with you. I plan to retire around 60, but don't think I ever fully will. I'll always want to do something.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:08 PM

14 posts, read 12,149 times
Default I never want to retire

I never want to retire. Granted I am young, but I want to make a difference in this world through my career. Granted it helps that I love what I do.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:36 PM

29,633 posts, read 14,763,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Last year, something amazing happened...I had a week off...an entire week off...AND I HATED IT! First three days were okay, but after that I was pulling my hair out without a schedule or a task I had to do. I realized than what I knew in the back of my head all along: I can't retire, ever.

Sorry, but I need to work. I have had a job since I was fifteeen (I'm 27) and that week off was the biggest stretch without working I ever had that I was not unemployed. If a week of that "what the hell do I do with myself?" feeling is enough to nearly drive me insane, imagine YEARS like that? HELL ON EARTH!

And no, the prospect of having time to travel, volunteer or other "make work" things does not appeal to me. I have to have a schedule dictate to me what to do. I have to have be somewhere to make a living. I NEED the stress of a job, or I can't do it.

Good thing is I probably will not have a real (I'm a waiter) until I'm about 40 anyway...I want to be a pyschologist, and have not started college yet, and it takes four years for a bachelor's and five or more for a PHD...that's cool, so I wouldn't get tired of it as soon as others, but most likely, not ever, and I can say "I've only been doing this for twenty years!" when someone asks me, at age 60, if I'm thinking about retiring.

Also, I'll just be sitting on a chair talking to people, so it wouldn't be wear and tear on my body, so I'll have no reason to stop as long as my mind is healthy, which should be until I die (knock on wood)

In other words...how does a workacholic retire? I am addicted to work, and I cannot fathom a time when I will want to stop, and that's the way I want to it

Anyone else also prefer to go-down in a blaze of laboring glory instead in wasting away in "the Golden Years"?
Very sorry to hear , life is about experiences not work. To each their own though.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:02 PM

10,626 posts, read 12,177,945 times
Quote:
I cannot fathom a time when I will want to stop,
1) You're 27.... Get back to us 40 years.... Heck 20 years.
(after you realize the job/career isn't what you thought it was, you've got a boss that's an incompetent who takes credit for your work AND you're doing the work of 3 people instead of one, the agency forces you to make compromises to your integrity....)

2) Retiring is not "wasting away."

3) Depending on your financial situation you may HAVE to work, and not be able to afford to retire....so that might work out for you anyway.

But the bloom may never come off your rose....so who knows....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance