Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 01:43 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,809,467 times

Advertisements

This is a series of great videos explaining where money comes from.

YouTube - 1. Corrupt Banking System - Cartels Robbing the Public
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 11:42 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,885,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
This is a series of great videos explaining where money comes from.

YouTube - 1. Corrupt Banking System - Cartels Robbing the Public
Definitely a good basic introduction on how the money system works.

This one is even better. Explains everything in detail. He even covers what is going on today (easy credit, housing bust, recession, bank failures etc.) (listen to 3:17:00) and the end result of all that.

Reality of Money - Edward Griffin

Unfortunately, most will not listen and will lose everything in the coming hyper inflationary years. Protect yourself first. You don't want to be the person waiting in line like at indymac.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:27 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,809,467 times
I'm still up in the air with what to do to cover myself. I'm not counting on real estate to hold its value (with some minor exceptions of course), so I'm getting out while I can.

Now all I have to figure out is how to keep from losing it all.....

Old 07-16-2008, 05:05 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,885,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I'm still up in the air with what to do to cover myself. I'm not counting on real estate to hold its value (with some minor exceptions of course), so I'm getting out while I can.

Now all I have to figure out is how to keep from losing it all.....
lol yea it is a rather difficult task since you don't really know what the government will do. Protecting assets is harder than you think. There is always the risk of government seizure (though, they probably won't do it on a large scale), getting sued, medical bills, bankruptcy etc. If you don't structure your portfolio you could quickly see yourself losing a lot of money very fast.

The best thing to do is read up on your state's bankrupcy laws.

I know in most states roth iras are protected and your primary residence is protected.

Gold/silver is also helpful.

As far as land, it depends on the type. Agriculture land will probably do good. As well as land that has other good attributes to it (ie. water, minerals wind, sun etc.) Residential and commercial won't.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:14 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,283,007 times
"If you don't structure your portfolio you could quickly see yourself losing a lot of money very fast."
sigh.....that's what I thought we had done. Being retired seniors I contacted a financial advisor , gathered up dozens of bits and pieces invested in over the years,directed him to consolidate and create a portfolio mainly dedicated to preservation of capital...safe!...accepting a possible loss due to inflation.
Something we could basically ignore.Look over once a month statements.

Guess where that SAFE low-yield investment was?
Guess how much less secure our retirement is now?
Yeah....we took it right in the 'fanny'.
I wonder how many people there are like us?
Chances are you won't find them admitting it online since it's embarrassing to have to admit dropping the ball out of ...complacency.... I guess, would be the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance