Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,820,597 times

Advertisements

I guess you are not alone in having problems with this outfit.

Ripoff Report Search Results: Vonics (http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchresults.asp?q1=ALL&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searc htype=0&submit2=Search%21&q5=Vonics&Search=Search - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:00 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,034,527 times
I had a similar problem with Vonage. I had four accounts for employees and cancelled two of them last Fall. They tried to talk me into keep them active for two months worth of free service. I declined but the person helping me enrolled me anyway. When I discovered they were still billing me I called to cancel and Vonage refused to cancel them because I didn't know which account numbers related to which phone numbers. Their secret security questions were: "What is the name of the plan you are on?" (Who keeps track of that?) and "What is the name of the phone adapter for those accounts?" (I hadn't seen the equipment in months and had never used it personally). The absurd thing is that they told me they had records of me calling in. And all of this happened while I was speaking someone in India which made the conversation that much more pleasant. Vonage actually told me that American Express might be able to help me cancel the accounts. I backed off and told them I didn't want to cancel the accounts but that I did want to know what they were charging me for each month and they refused to even give me details about what they were billing me for.

In the end I called American Express and disputed all the charges. Within a month I got an email from Vonage that the accounts were cancelled. Turns out they didn't need the answers to the "secret" questions after all.

I had wanted to keep two of my accounts active but after such poor service I cancelled them all.

KevK's advice above was the best for future accounts. Always use a credit card, not a debit card. It gives you more protections.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:58 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,959,795 times
I had the same issue with Vonage... they signed me up for the automatic thing, but the problem was that I had already signed up to get my home number assigned to my new cell phone. Verizon handled it all for me.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:54 AM

5 posts, read 21,776 times
For what its worth I'm getting very good service with Onesuite.com, a prepaid phone card service with voip feature. Rates are competitive and they got 24/7 customer service.

And just like what's been adviced, I use credit card for all my transactions. Not only with Onesuite but also with other online transactions.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:07 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,044,428 times
Cancelling that debit card and getting a new one worked. It wasn't a big hassle -- I got the new card in about a week. What's funny is that I haven't heard a word from Vonics saying they couldn't collect payment. Oh, well!

I don't want another phone company of any sort. I'm very happy using my Virgin Mobile pre-paid service for all of my calls. It's working out great!

Old 08-23-2008, 04:32 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,864,879 times
I have basic phone service...so my my wife/kids can dial 911 and it is instantly tracked.
Two reasons... one is (as far as I know) cell pphones don't work with 911.
Cell Phone 911 - Wireless 911

and two...it's harder to jam a land line. I worry about crazy things...like rapists/crazy people/weirdos with cell phone jammers.

What is a Cell Phone Jammer?

Old 08-23-2008, 08:45 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,399,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
If you need advice, consult with an attorney regarding your rights. You need legal advice, not the opinions from the peanut gallery.
^^

This and [/thread]

Old 08-23-2008, 09:08 PM

185 posts, read 702,936 times
I called AT&T and canceled my long distance service on my landline phone when I got my cell phone and they were really nice to me. That was 3 or 4 years so I can't say how they are now though. Maybe you got a rep. that was in a foul mood that day. I've heard other people say they were unhappy with AT&Ts service reps. Who knows the next time I call them I may not be happy with them either.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:13 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,362,440 times
yes, report the card stolen.

if they send your bank a refund to the old debit card number, the bank should forward it to your current account. (at least this is the way it works with credit card companies). You can double check this at your bank, and have one less thing to worry about.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:56 PM

6,898 posts, read 22,582,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Cancelling that debit card and getting a new one worked. It wasn't a big hassle -- I got the new card in about a week. What's funny is that I haven't heard a word from Vonics saying they couldn't collect payment. Oh, well!
Yep, works like a charm everytime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance