Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 04:39 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times

Advertisements

I have accounts with two seperate banks (one mainly checking one mainly savings.) I'm considering opening an account with a third bank due to their options. Is having deposit accounts with three different banks usual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 04:51 PM

94 posts, read 763,484 times
The only reason for multiple banks, imho, is either for features or for insurance.

Banks only provide $100,000 FDIC insurance per account title. If you're married you could have an account, your husband an account, and you could have a joint account together. Three accounts all titled differently and you have up to 300,000 in FDIC insurance in one location. Some provide brokerage accounts which are covered with additional insurance agencies (SFIP I think) and again, altering the titles provides additional insurance.

Some prefer some features to others. The whole free checking, free billpay... umm, should be a given. But what about hidden fees if I want to X, Y, or Z? If you maintain a minimum balance you shouldn't have to pay a single cent. A free toaster, radio, etc are all just scams to get you in the door, imho. How much are checks with duplicates when I need them? Do you call me if there's suspicious activity on my account? Do you call if I write a large check "just to be sure". Those are true features. Keep the radio.

My husband loves US Bank, and I hate them. With US Bank I get charged the stupidest little fees continuously and if I complain I'm told I didn't "sign up" for a feature. Elite at US Bank means ****, imo. Now, I love Bank of America - I get great service with Advantage. They know me and greet me by name at my branch (that I rarely go to) and I never pay for anything they even match a percentage of check card rollover transaction in savings. I'm biased...

At least if everything is within one bank, you can easily transfer between accounts. Cashier checks to different banks is time consuming (and some charge to receive wires?!)... though BOA (again, bias) doesn't even charge to send them!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:53 PM

250 posts, read 336,119 times
You only need as many accounts as needed to handle the bank's insurance ceiling. Do not deposit $200,000 into a bank with only $100,000 of insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance