Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:18 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,330,160 times

Advertisements

I just read an article about this. Some poor soul had almost $400 in points on their credit card that they planned on using for Christmas gifts. The bank canceled their card and poof there went their points.
You might want to reconsider letting these build up. It seems that some of the banks are canceling accounts arbitrarlily. Theres another thread discussing this so I wont go into that.

Personally I think these points were earned and you should be able to redeem them even if the card is closed.. Or if they want to close their books they could just send a check or a gift card when they close the account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 PM

947 posts, read 3,140,463 times
I had a feeling this would happen and have been using up my rewards points as fast as they accumulate.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:47 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,230 times
That reminds me, I have around $150 in rewards on one of my cards.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:54 AM

823 posts, read 2,216,476 times
That is why I like my rewards points to either automatically post at the end of the month (if it is cash back) or to go into an account the bank cannot touch. My Starwood Amex gives me Starwood points every month which is managed by Starwood Hotels. Even if Amex cancels my account tomorrow Starwood does not care and my points are safe.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:56 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
good tip will give rep asap.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Or make sure your points accumulate on a big name card that won't do that...or is less likely to do that. I usually let my Discover go a few months until about $300 or $400 accumulates; then I redeem them. After reading this, I may do it more often. Thank you.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:13 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I just read an article about this. Some poor soul had almost $400 in points on their credit card that they planned on using for Christmas gifts. The bank canceled their card and poof there went their points.
You might want to reconsider letting these build up. It seems that some of the banks are canceling accounts arbitrarlily. Theres another thread discussing this so I wont go into that.

Personally I think these points were earned and you should be able to redeem them even if the card is closed.. Or if they want to close their books they could just send a check or a gift card when they close the account.
I cashed out my points in October as I was afraid the issuer would go bankrupt and I'd lose out.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:39 PM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Totally great advice! Gave you rep points. When the rewards thing first started, I earned a bunch of points on GM (General Motors). I soon decided that I would never buy another new car, and lost all those points. This is similar, but since I've been removing cash points by converting to cash, I'll be happier if I lose a few, rather than the bunch I lost in that first one.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:04 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,330,160 times
Thanks for the cookies. I dont post much but I read a lot. Ive gotten a lot of tips. Glad I finally had something to contribute.

About the card. It was C***e. He wasnt late and they werent going out of business. They just canceled his card cause the moon was full or whatever. I have the same card. Mine should be okay tho cause I use it for gas and groceries. And I have a few bills auto paid monthly. I keep it paid off but this keeps it active and I get points.

Personally I dont like rewards cards or ones that give gift cards etc. I prefer ca$h. I live a very simple life. I dont need airline mles. I dont want gift cards. I dont eat out and I dont buy stuff. And I especially hate the ones that have to be redeemed for prizes. Thank you very much but I dont need a pair of night vision binoculars that play music.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:28 AM

347 posts, read 1,095,194 times
Cecilia_Rose: I didn't know this. Thanks for the tip!
I usually let mine accumulate coz twice I got a better deal for more points. I should check into my points today.... asap...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance