Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:23 PM

638 posts, read 1,918,185 times

Advertisements

Yeah.. I'm talking about quite a few on here.

People in dire straits come on here to ask serious questions about their finances and too many of you little *^%#$%s come out w/your pontificating BS about "you made the debt pay it" or "you owe the bank pay them"

What a bunch of putzes you are. I hope to god that you lose your jobs or the rug comes out from under you and you are in the same predicament others are going through

are you _______ uncompassionate about what the economy is going through HUH??????? Many people have debt because at the time they had jobs or things were okay financially and things OUT OF THEIR CONTROL spun their life out of control and they now no longer have the means to control it.

Pay back CC debt to a bunch of criminals who chart 12-22% APR... pay a bank back when OUR TAX DOLLARS bailed them out?

********* and *********r sanctimonious theories. What these big businesses get is exactly what is owed to them. With our tax dollars keeping them from bleeding so they can continue to waste our monies and give the CEOs millions in bonuses... LMFAO... I say everybody stop paying... let them go down the toilet w/the rest of the nation that is going through hell trying to keep their family and home going. Let them worry about debt instead of crying to our "government" (that's a funny word) for US .. you know.. the peons.. to bail them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 09:39 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
The best way to avoid dealing with these criminals is to live on a cash basis. Just avoid any form of debt.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:12 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
If you lay down with Mastercard, you get up with fleas...

Old 12-23-2008, 03:11 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
"Pay back CC debt to a bunch of criminals who chart 12-22% APR"

Every single month I am informed by these 'criminals' what the interest rate is on my cards
It is my choice whether or not to agree to such horrible rates or to pay cash.

People that come on here usually have been overspending for a loooooong time and most appear to have functioning brains.

You have to remember. Those that managed their finances responsibly are having to share the pain for the current and future fallout.
It is difficult to feel much love for the person that assisted in whacking you upside the head.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:21 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
I recommend a switch to decaf.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:22 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
The systems that we have for managing debt need to be kept functioning. If you have a better plan lets here it, but from where I sit, given the utter scale of the destruction of "potential gains" all of us have to be very aware of how fragile the system is right now.

Consumers are a huge part of the problem and will need to be part of the solution. Staying current on debts is a GIANT step in the right direction. Rates are in chaos right now, lenders are trying to get ridiculous premiums for what they consider risky borrowing, meanwhile the Fed is trying to encourage short term borrowing on the part of lenders at NO intrest just to fire up investment / spending and prevent the collapse of employers.

Everything is very much a hair-trigger economy and the way out is not yet completely clear.

One thing is sure, scape goating the banks or otherwise claiming THEY were SOLELY the problem is a sure fire way to REDUCE confidence in the economy and lead to further difficulty.

What exactly are going to do in Alaska that would NOT rely on a functional economy? Life in igloo is hard and ever the natives have realized that MONEY makes things operate better for all...

Old 12-23-2008, 06:54 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
I have all the sympathy in the world for someone who is in a bad financial situation due to uncontrollable circumstances such as a sudden illness/disability, loss of a job, whatever. But most of the people in debt did it to themselves. They spent what they didn't have, they bought homes they couldn't possibly afford, they won't take a job if it's not to their liking, they splurged and lived it up instead of being frugal. They borrowed and borrowed knowing the terms but ignoring them, and now they cry because it's time to pay it back. They have no sense of taking responsibility for their own actions. I have no sympathy for those folks.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:09 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinCarl View Post

People in dire straits come on here to ask serious questions about their finances and too many of you little *^%#$%s come out w/your pontificating BS about "you made the debt pay it" or "you owe the bank pay them"

What a bunch of putzes you are. I hope to god that you lose your jobs or the rug comes out from under you and you are in the same predicament others are going through

are you _______ uncompassionate about what the economy is going through HUH??????? Many people have debt because at the time they had jobs or things were okay financially and things OUT OF THEIR CONTROL spun their life out of control and they now no longer have the means to control it.

Pay back CC debt to a bunch of criminals who chart 12-22% APR... pay a bank back when OUR TAX DOLLARS bailed them out?

********* and *********r sanctimonious theories. What these big businesses get is exactly what is owed to them. With our tax dollars keeping them from bleeding so they can continue to waste our monies and give the CEOs millions in bonuses... LMFAO... I say everybody stop paying... let them go down the toilet w/the rest of the nation that is going through hell trying to keep their family and home going. Let them worry about debt instead of crying to our "government" (that's a funny word) for US .. you know.. the peons.. to bail them out.
First of all, your points lose a lot of credibility when you muddle them with a VERY thinly veiled string of lurid profanity. You can just as easily make your point without all of the nonsense, and I'll probably respect your view a lot more by doing so.

Second, you seem to lack an understanding of how debt instruments work and the importance of them in our overall economy. I have yet to meet a single person who was forced to take on debt by a credit card company. Maybe I'm just traveling in the wrong circles, but everyone that I know chose to charge purchases and consequently risked paying interest if the balance was not paid in full each billing cycle.

Third, you want to bring "big business" down while simultaneously keeping families and households going? Not going to happen. If people stopped paying their debts like you have proposed, the current economic situation would look like the Roaring 20's compared to what would follow.

It appears that you're letting emotion get in the way of logical thought and rational discussion. I'm certainly not a fan of government involvement in private enterprise, but I'm less of a fan of an economic meltdown. If you have a better solution, I'm all ears...

Old 12-23-2008, 07:14 AM

947 posts, read 3,139,321 times
How do you know the people on CD who are posting haven't lost jobs? Incurred major medical debt? Gone through hard times? You don't. Just because they haven't given you a life story doesn't mean they don't have one.

regardless of how it's said or how it's happened. When a debt is incurred it needs to be paid back. That is how I will be raising my kid. You may fall on hard times - everyone will at one time or another, no on is immune. Still take responsibility for your role in it. Everyone is responsible for some part of there lives. If not all.

If someone wants a shoulder to cry on maybe they shouldn't come onto CD, maybe talk to non virtual friends. Maybe there should be a "Shoulder to Cry on Forum" on CD so people can feel sorry for themselves so they won't have to read realistic posts?

Old 12-23-2008, 07:50 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinCarl View Post

Excuse me? What is BS about paying your debt that you made? Do you want us to say don't pay your debt, make other people pay it, or that responsibility is overrated? What do you say to someone who owes money they SPENT already? If someone owed ME money, you dang right I expect to be paid. That would mean if anyone owed money, dang right they ought to pay. There is no BS about paying your debt that you CHOOSE to go into. If you are in dire straits (and just who isn't nowadays) then you BETTER pay down your debts or you are about to never get out of dire straits...

Quote:
Why would you wish that on anyone? Perhaps the hypocrite should look in the mirror. If I lost my job, I would rebuild and the only way to rebuild is to... pay down my debts... if you aren't able to... guess what... you are screwed... and there is nobody to blame but you... you can stop blaming the world for your choice to pay on credit...

Quote:
Here is a clue... there will ALWAYS be tough times... if you think it is always sunny and warm in Alaska, you got news coming.. You seem to think "finances" is the "only" thing they need to control to lead to a better life... how about a better life plan... If they had prepared for a job loss for the last 10 years, I am willing to bet they be okay... its not completely out of their control... finding a new job is possible and difficult... life is not easy for anyone, I don't expect it to be easy for them just as it isn't easy for me either in this economy and the best advice... pay off your debts..

Quote:
Thats pretty much EVERY credit card's interest rate. Don't like them? Don't use them... the fact that you did use them meant you AGREED to them... you knew the terms and when it came to pay time, you blatantly say its not fair? How much more transparent do you want to be? Oh, I bought this house and now that it dropped in value, I don't want to pay for it anymore... those evil banks, they should of never lended me the money to buy it because they knew it was overpriced... its not my fault.. I only agreed to the contract cause I thought I would win out in the end and now that I am losing, its their fault... that is unless I win... then its my pure genius nature..

Quote:
I suspect you re-elected a lot of these politicians who promised to "help" you and also voted "For" the bailout... what kind of a hypocrite are you? Its your fault they are still in office... you sold out the first minute they said they would help YOU... instead of helping America, you thought about yourself... just like the Big CEOs that you hate... you made all their dreams come true...yes, it was YOU... you can stop blaming the people who actually TRIED to vote these politicians out of office...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance