Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:49 PM

8,286 posts, read 38,861,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I agree up to a point.
First of all, Turbo Tax isn't free, and you need to buy one every year to stay current, so you are paying anyway.
Second, if you are single and have a dirt simple return, it probably won't cost much for a tax man to do your taxes.
Third.... the big one...! One little thing a competent tax professional picks up that you missed on TT will save you far more than you paid the tax man.
If you need a fourth reason, here you go.... If I got a letter from the IRS four years after the fact, I send it to my tax man and forget it. It has happened, and the tax man handled it, no fuss, no muss, no charge....
I probably should have omitted Turbo Tax from my post. I agree that a tax pro will probably catch things you have missed, but for the vast horde of American 20-somethings who do not keep receipts, have no holdings of any substance and do not think about taxes until April 1, entering your W-2 into a 1040EZ and submitting online is very unlikely to yield any problems other than a substantial no-interest loan to Uncle Sam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 03:25 PM

114 posts, read 420,142 times
Thanks for the post. It reminded me to print out all those forms that the IRS never sends me. I do my taxes the old-fashioned way. The state sent me several hundred dollars one year. The letter said I had made a mistake. After I re-checked my return I decided the state made a mistake. I deposited the check and never heard from them again. I have never been audited since first filing in the 1950's. You can print out forms here.
Forms and Instructions

Old 12-31-2008, 04:11 PM

37,610 posts, read 61,705,787 times
We do our taxes using paper and pencil.

We itemize. Which helps us to keep most of our Gross income sheltered.

Both my Dw and I took the IRS courses and volunteered to help others to file their taxes for about 12 years.

We have been audited 3 times. Each audit the IRS increased our 'refund'. So it was not so bad.

We have been 'tax exempt' since 1983, no money is with held from us, nor is any money due afterward. We do commonly receive a 'refund' though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance