Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:54 PM

690 posts, read 2,108,371 times

Advertisements

Thanks! That's helpful. I'll be eligible in another year to sit for the CPA exam, if I just get a bachelor's for now. I keep hearing that experience is more important than an advanced degree with no experience, so my time would probably be better spent getting experience. I think I'll do that and try to pass the CPA exam while I'm working.

Most people take the exam while they're working, right? I know that entry-level accountants often work crazy schedules that don't leave much room for studying, but I can't imagine not having an income for a year or more (since most people don't pass on the first go).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 PM

201 posts, read 389,086 times
I was in a MAcc program, but quit after I got my CPA license. Having 'CPA' behind my name has gotten me a lot more job interviews than if I'd just gotten the master's. I think the only exception to this is if you graduate from a highly ranked school. I don't even work as a CPA - I do finance/accounting work, but having passed the exam & keeping the license renewed always impresses at interviews & I tend to get called for more job opportunities than my friends with MBA's.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:38 PM

Thanks, it's good to hear from people in the field already. I'm actually excited to have an excuse not to get a Master's right now...it would take an additional year.

How many times did you have to take the exam before you passed? And did you use some kind of study program or did you just buy some books to study on your own?

Old 01-29-2009, 08:40 PM

201 posts, read 389,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
How many times did you have to take the exam before you passed? And did you use some kind of study program or did you just buy some books to study on your own?
I passed on the first try - this was back in the day of paper/pencil tests when you had to take all four parts at once. My situation was a little different than normal - my degree was in finance & I went back to school full-time to take nothing but accounting classes. With a total full-time accounting concentration in just over a year, I was fairly well prepped. I did take the Becker Conviser online program - finished about 2/3 of it. I slacked on one section at home, so I took an intensive 2 day weekend program with them in class for that section a couple weeks before the exam. I only barely passed two of the sections, but who cares - it's not like anyone checks on your scores after you're certified! I studied a lot for about 3 months. I remember I'd just accepted a new job & people kept asking me to go to lunch & I turned them down routinely so I could cram during my lunch hour. Luckily they were very understanding & kept asking so I had lunch buddies a few months later when the exam was behind me

Old 01-31-2009, 03:13 PM

Wow, good job. I've heard that very few people pass it the first time.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,565 times
The MBA has become cheapened by online schools. While it's a good cursory review of management it does not prove that you have a tangible skill. If you get the MAcc, employers can be assured that you have a good understanding of Accounting. The MBA offers little assurance in any specific area unless it's from a top 20 school.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisnowbird View Post
I was in a MAcc program, but quit after I got my CPA license. Having 'CPA' behind my name has gotten me a lot more job interviews than if I'd just gotten the master's. I think the only exception to this is if you graduate from a highly ranked school. I don't even work as a CPA - I do finance/accounting work, but having passed the exam & keeping the license renewed always impresses at interviews & I tend to get called for more job opportunities than my friends with MBA's.

Your friends with MBA's almost certainly are viewed as being more demanding of prestige and a higher salary. You are viewed as a workhorse who wont ***** and will take a fraction of what the MBA will to do the same job.

Just some knowledge for ya.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcc Chick View Post
The MBA has become cheapened by online schools. While it's a good cursory review of management it does not prove that you have a tangible skill. If you get the MAcc, employers can be assured that you have a good understanding of Accounting. The MBA offers little assurance in any specific area unless it's from a top 20 school.

The MAcc has been just as cheapened by the online schools. By the way, the MBA usually requires 600 level accounting courses AND if you come in to the MBA program with a non business major, you are often required to go back and take basic accounting and finance classes.

And the truth is, 200 level accounting courses are more then enough to prepare you for 99% of all accounting issues you will ever face. The fact that the accounting profession requires an ungodly level of education and certification (over kill in most cases) for little pay is simply a reason to never pursue it as a career.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
Thanks! That's helpful. I'll be eligible in another year to sit for the CPA exam, if I just get a bachelor's for now. I keep hearing that experience is more important than an advanced degree with no experience, so my time would probably be better spent getting experience. I think I'll do that and try to pass the CPA exam while I'm working.

Most people take the exam while they're working, right? I know that entry-level accountants often work crazy schedules that don't leave much room for studying, but I can't imagine not having an income for a year or more (since most people don't pass on the first go).

Actually these days, most entry level degreed accountants that DONT work in public accounting, are employed as AP or AR clerks and generally have consistant schedules.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
First time I've heard that one.

This is exactly true, most states are moving to a 150 credit hour education requirement, which doing the math, is 10 semesters of 15 credit hours, which usually nets you a Masters Degree in many programs. A typical bachelors degree is about 120 credit hours.

A CPA license will now have the educational demands of a law degree, but will still often net less then 50k in annual salary, while lawyers continue to be one of the higher paid professions in the country.

Accounting is the biggest joke of a field on earth. Bar none. There are garbage men making more then CPAs and they require nothing more then a CDL, a clean driving record, and passing a **** test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance