Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:40 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,708,391 times

Advertisements

Im in the kitchen cabinet business. I design kitchens. I traded a whole kitchen to a pool company owner who replastered my pool.

I traded an eye doctor a custom made medicine cabinet for new eye glasses.

Im currently in search of some one who will give me a nice boat for a new kitchen.

There are bartering clubs but they cost money to join and the site owner makes all the money by taking a % from every successful barter. Like the person above said, just use Craigslist but be carefull in doing so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 03:40 PM

840 posts, read 3,471,930 times
Saturday Barter Market

Hard times don't stop good-hearted people from wanting to take care of their families and help others. It has been rough here lately but there is an idea that is catching on and spreading across the U.S.

It began with the offer of a large parking lot right on a main highway to be used for what we hope
will make a difference as it helps a lot of people in these unstable times.

People can trade out of the trunk of their car, the back of their truck, on a card table or whatever works for them.

In lieu of a gate entry fee or a charge for the space "rent" those who participate are asked to contribute to our local food bank good canned/packaged foods OR for donations.

2 items of nonperishable food for the food bank can be brought to be put a bin set up for those items

A wonderful way to encourage "recycling" instead of just tossing something.

• A mother could come and exchange nice used clothing and maybe get a backpack or toys for her kids.
  • Someone needing a tool to repair their home could trade for a hand knit sweater, etc.
  • A donation table will be available to leave things from the garden, paperbacks, diaper coupons from the Sunday paper, canned goods, etc. It's on the honor system to take what you need/want and leave something, if you can.
People usually don't think they have much to contribute but they are wrong!

Trading services is great, too...I'll bake you a pecan pie and you mow my lawn. Or I'll clean your house and you tutor my child.

Participants can put up a sign
listing things they need done along with what they have to offer:

• teach you to cook/bake
  • tutor your child in math
  • set up a birthday tea party for your child
  • do your taxes
  • rearrange your furniture/help you redecorate
  • bake you a Red Velvet scratch cake
  • read to an elder/shop for an elder
  • groom your pet
  • do some research on the internet
  • fix your car/TV/whatever
  • build you shelves
  • hem your pants/dress
  • restring your pearls/fix broken jewelry
  • redo your resume
  • teach you simple computer skills
  • clean your house
  • organize your kitchen
  • build you a website
  • do your grocery shopping
  • paint your house
  • weedeat your yard
  • plumbing
  • brushhogging
  • electrical work
  • make casseroles for your freezer

The list is endless. We all have many talents; we all have some to share.

Maybe someone who attends the event will know someone (who isn't able to attend but who might want to make a trade) and will pass along the info.

People sharing themselves, what they can do, what they have and feeling dignity in getting what they need - regardless of their cash status.

Many towns are finding these informal barter events exciting as it gives a glimmer of hope to many that better days are coming!

This can help people reconnect in ways which benefit the community and the wallet.

It is fall....there might be a farmer with pumpkins or other harvest. Maybe someone has some nice clean toys that a parent might like to get for Christmas.

We know there are all kinds of possibilities.
It only takes one caring person to start something like this in your area and watch it grow to help so many.

It would benefit the food bank and both parties participating in the exchange.

We are all in this world together....

Last edited by OneDayAttaTime; 09-23-2009 at 03:53 PM..

Old 09-23-2009, 04:22 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,617,685 times
I've bartered with many of my skills for things, such as welding, metal fabrication, professional dog grooming, dog training and pet sitting. In exchange for rent discounts, car repairs, tile work, well digging, dry walling, painting.
Don't do it much now, but it has crossed my mind. Right now I just do odd jobs for discount on horse boarding.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:29 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,928,973 times
Like Desertsun I've bartered design services. For helping a neighbor lay out his lower level remodel and his kitchen he is building me a deck. I think it is a great idea to have in this challenging economy to be flexible in how we are compensated and in utilizing our individual skills and talents to the mutual benefits of all parties.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 PM

Do you think the idea they are talking about by setting up in say a Church parking lot would work?

I'd like to get something like that going here but want to know the downside.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:13 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,558,248 times
This sounds interesting, but when you barter services, how do you account for the services you got in exchange when doing your taxes next April, it would seem like it would be a pain.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:50 PM

Tax Topics - Topic 420 Bartering Income
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance