Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:49 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,893,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzod View Post
I come from a pretty frugal family and we always believed in saving until I moved to California. I spoke with some co-workers and they all contribute 6%, which is the max. matching limit set by our employer.

If it were up to me, I would contribute the max of 30% per pay check so I hit the $16k 2009 max. Am I missing something that would preclude people from saving and maximizing their tax benefits? Apart from them having more urgent needs (e.g. buying a car, new family) doesn't it just make sense to save and put away the max. amount of money?

Here are my reasons:

1) Company does not match anything
2) IMO, we are poor enough (low tax rate ) that making out the Roth IRA makes more sense first. After that we start contributing to regular IRA.

Good reasons???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 09:23 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,241,792 times
I can't afford to contribute right now (buying a home so we're putting money in the bank). I plan to start this summer. My company does an ok match. They contribute 2%, match 4% than contribute another 5% to a separate retirement account. I haven't contributed since last June and given the down's this past year, it's just as well.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:57 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,725,256 times
I agree it's about timing--and market advice which is for chumps like me that don't really "manage" accts but just do what they are told so the professionals can rake in the dough.

My first one tanked in 1999 and I never did recover from the shock of loosing my first 30K. Why didn't I pull it? because of an address change due to a legal separation and by the time I got the notice it was too late.

By the next time I was really situated in a job to maximize putting aside money, my kids were starting college! So guess where my money goes now. Then, I had one well started and my employer went from a 401K/403B to a state retirement fund status which puts all kinds of longevity rules that I will have to work forever to really make money on.

So I am seriously wanting to pull out the whole damned lot, pay cash for a retirement hovel, and go broke. why should I work my ass off just to pay for other people's kids, govt benefits, etc when at 55 I saw my mom work until she was 70 after raising 6 kids (several adopted) and then take on another one and loose the foster aid money for that kid bec she gave the kid a permanent home--now she has two mouths to feed on one (reduced) social security income, bec my dad died in his fifties.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,725,256 times
It's not true that it is as accessable as savings. I am ready to retire early due to health problems and find I can't access the funds now without paying taxes anyway. So really it's just govt mandated savings, why is that better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance