Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 25,068 times

Advertisements

Hello, I posted this question under a different topic, but perhaps it is more relevant here.... my apologies to anyone who sees this twice!

I am a US citizen living in NY state. This past year (Sept.) I became employed by a Canadian university. I am now trying to figure how to file my taxes. As far as I know, Canada doesn't take anything out of my paycheck, so I am responsible for determining what I owe in taxes. I still live here in the US, and I withdraw my paychecks from a Canadian bank account.

What form(s) should I use for my federal tax return? Do I still need to file a state tax return (for NY, presumably)? Thanks ahead to anyone that can provide advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,765,948 times
This sounds like a domestic IRS matter rather than anything concerning Canada, so we'll just kick it over to a more appropriate forum.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:50 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,127,316 times
Since your 2008 income was derived from two countries, you need three things.

First, consult the H.R. department of the Canadian university, and get IN WRITING the answer to your withholding question, which is "What national Canadian taxes and what other (if any) local Canadian taxes, and what other (if any) withholding was withheld from my income at X University during 2008?" You need this information documented.

Second, if you received interest or dividents from any Canadian source, such as that bank account you have in Canada which receives your university paycheck, you must also have documentation of that interest.

Third, when you gather all that documentation -- and now that it's after Jan. 31 and you have presumably received all your documentation for 2008 income, interest and dividends earned within the U.S. -- take your documents plus your 2007 1040 to a CPA who is knowledgeable about Canadian income sources for U.S. citizens and residents, and paying Canadian taxes. Since you're in NYS, there are a lot of such CPAs. You can find that specialization in the yellow pages under Accountants -- or you can walk into an H&R Block office near you. They will be able to help you, including filing both your U.S. return and forms and, if necessary, your Canadian return.

TurboTax and similar softwares won't do this work for you, so don't put yourself in the position of "deceiving" the IRS, or short-changing yourself, by using software that isn't up to the job. Although I have worked with high-end CPA firms, I have also used H&R Block myself and have found them to be fully knowledgeable and capable, for a very low price, whcih you can use as a deduction on your 2009 1040. Nice how that works, isn't it?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:05 PM

732 posts, read 2,986,157 times
As a US citizen you pay income taxes on your worldwide income. As a NY resident, you pay taxes on your income earned while a resident of NY. There are exemptions from US income tax for certain foreign earned income for individuals but not sure it applies in your case if you were living in the US while earning the income. Theoretically Canada has the right to tax your income but there may be provisions in the US-Canada income tax treaty that mitigate this.

Definitely go to a CPA, but educate yourself before you go - check out these IRS publications:

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (http://www.irs.gov/businesses/article/0,,id=182017,00.html - broken link)
Publication 597 (2/2006), Information on the United States-Canada Income Tax Treaty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance