Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:59 PM

18,738 posts, read 33,548,564 times

Advertisements

If the loans are federal, one's Social Security would be garnished to pay them. If the OP's friend goes on SSDI for medical conditions, I think the same applies (as would leaving the country but trying to collect Social Security. After all, the friend is 40, not 22. Retirement is looming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 02:27 PM

577 posts, read 1,003,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeranm View Post
I racked up 80K because I went to a private institution for undergrad, and this was after 10,000 a year in scholarships. I also made the financial mistake of working as a teacher in NC (paying only 29,000/year, with no raises in the 3 years I taught due to the waning economy). I do not think it is right to call one stupid for going for teaching... that is our future and I think that it makes sense for us to want only the most well educated, which would justify that debt, to be teaching, training, and producing that future.
Nobody is calling anybody stupid for becoming a teacher, but the amount of debt you went in ($80k) for a $29k salary is just silly. And you've painted it like there were no other options. Nothing justifies that debt. Weren't there any more reasonable institutions to get your degree from? Was $80k in debt really your only option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeranm View Post
Also, people do need to use loan money for living costs. The school I attended was 45 minutes from home and I attended class 5 days a week. I had to live in that town, and after doing the math it was more cost effective to not pay for campus housing. I was not able to work a full time job because our classes were split up so much (usually MWF 1 hour a day and/or T/TH 1.5 hours a day). Also, just to finish the program and the multitude of general education classes, I had to take 15-18 credit hours.
You couldn't work part time? Did you leave out some hours, 1-1.5 hours a day doesn't really preclude working? Many of my engineering labs in college were 3 credits but 9 hours in class plus the outside work and I was still able to work part time.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:29 PM

296 posts, read 615,992 times
Nobody put a gun to your head and forced you to take out those loans just to become a teacher. Stop rationalizing with all your weak excuses and man up to your responsibility.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:42 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,884,814 times
If I am going to take a $100K in student loan then I want a guarantee high paying job with good security for long term.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:01 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,655,169 times
My brother-in-law racked up some debt for his teaching certificate (how much, I don't know) and he teaches in a low-income area. After five years his student loans will be completely forgiven, and he has one year left. Do you know if this is an option for you? In your case, even having just part of your debt forgiven, I would think would be a blessing.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:27 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,910,627 times
Default Age 40, just finished degree with $100K debt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
My buddy is 40, he just completed college, and is now a teacher making around 36K a year. He has 100K in student loan debt and its completely buried. I know you cannot file BK on student or other government loans, what what can he possibly do?
How is he just finishing college at age 40? It sounds to me like he probably worked (or not) for several years without a formal education and then decided he needed a degree. Then, I suspect, he stopped working to go to college --- and took out student loans to pay for college AND living expenses ... (How else could he amass $100K in debt for a basic, 4-year education degree). Now, I suspect, he is trying to figure-out any possible angle that might let him avoid paying back what he borrowed.

An amazing number of people (credit cards, huge mortgage loans, student loans .... AND our own government) seem to live under the false notion that they should have whatever their heart desires today ... and let "tomorrow take care of itself!" Perhaps these people (and government) live in a cave somewhere in an alternate universe where they spend their time glued to TV ads that tell them they are entitled to have everything they want, without paying for it now, ... and that somehow the future cost will magically disappear in the future.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:57 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,497,405 times
What some people don't understand about student loan debt, is that some people are born "lucky", they have parents that will help them, or even have a place to live while going to college, that is lucky, whether you realize it or not. Some people wanted to get in the military, but were turned away, for what ever reason, so that was not an option, I know in my case, I had to get a loan, to pay for living expenses, after my divorce, I went to school, the tuition was paid for by my employer, but I needed that extra student loan money to live on, even with my salary, I was not making it with four kids..and it became a treadmill, I needed to keep going to school, to keep that loan payment in deferral. Now, it is spiraling, out of control...so, I can finally start paying it...

Old 09-03-2011, 03:19 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,723,381 times
hmmm... I never borrowed a penny for college. I wasn't born lucky, my folks didn't pay for any of it. I worked full time virtually the whole time I went to college at night, and sometimes 'full time' meant 2-4 part time jobs instead of one full time job. I paid for it as I went, skipping semesters when I didn't have the extra to pay for it. Yeah, it took 13 years, but I finished it debt-free.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:41 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,036,634 times
He'll simply have to pay it off, no matter how long it takes. Only 129 received hardship w/o(s) nationally last year. As should be the case, with few execeptions, loans require payments until debt obligation is fulfilled.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:26 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,884,814 times
You could have been better off using a credit card for this. Atleast, you can file bankruptcy lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance