Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 PM
emh

298 posts, read 853,440 times

Advertisements

He can get $5,000 forgiven by the federal government for teaching in a low-income school (more if he's in math, science or special education).

Student Aid on the Web

Some states have similar programs for teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 10:19 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,331,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
My buddy is 40, he just completed college, and is now a teacher making around 36K a year. He has 100K in student loan debt and its completely buried. I know you cannot file BK on student or other government loans, what what can he possibly do?
He should minimize expenses and maximum income in order to pay off the debt. To minimize expenses, he should live way below his means, and perhaps share an apartment with someone (and pay half rent) for a few years. To maximize income, he should take on part-time tasks during the school year (maybe some Saturday tutoring?) and work summers, or he should get a better-paying job. But yeah, $100K is not good debt to have for someone making $36K.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:26 PM

4,276 posts, read 8,197,473 times
I really don't know specifics, but, aren't there programs where you go teach in Underpriveleged areas, and then after a couple of years they pay off your loans (or a large portion of them)? Might want to look into that.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,450,056 times
Okay, I see the meanies have already posted their real feelings, so I feel more secure offering my opinion. Yeah. How do you amass 100K in student loans for a teaching degree? You borrowed the money, so now pay it back. Unfortunately I know of two cases where people used the student loan money to buy drinks, take overseas trips etc. I don't feel too much sympathy. Take this as a lesson learned. That's a basic concept that many of us have to deal with. If you borrow money, you eventually have to pay it back...with interest. Unless of course you're a homeowner who will have his/her loan "modified" or a big bank. :rolleyes Sigh. Someone else did mention teaching in a disadvantaged area. It may be a terrible experience, but it could also be rewarding and a way to touch a child's life for the better. ha ha ha I'm so cynical. Chances are it will be scary, depressing and dangerous...but in exchange, you may have an easier way of paying off the debt you/your friend has incurred.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,277,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I guess I would start looking for a job that paid more than $36,000.
lol, me too, but I guess when you trian to be a teacher, you become a teacher.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:47 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,478,878 times
Quote:
My buddy is 40, he just completed college, and is now a teacher making around 36K a year. He has 100K in student loan debt and its completely buried. I know you cannot file BK on student or other government loans, what what can he possibly do?
Well... he can move in with momma, get a roommate or two, ditch the car and take mass transportation, eat Ramen noodles, no cable/cell phone, etc. AND he can get another part-time job (maybe tutoring?).

Old 02-20-2009, 11:07 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,763,031 times
I too, do not understand how someone with a mere teaching degree managed to amass $100k in loans. That's the level of a medical degree, or a law degree!

To your buddy, I'd say...tough noogies. Suck it up princess, and pay.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:16 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,286,462 times
Quote:
HOLY MOLY BATMAN!

How do you justify blowing 100k in order to become a teacher?!?!?

Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
HOLY MOLY BATMAN!

How do you justify blowing 100k in order to become a teacher?!?!?
thats what I asked. Master Degree at 15K a year, plus all the classes you have to take just to get into the program.

I guess if thats what you have always wanted to do, I guess youll do what it takes to make your dreams. To me, I would rather be a school janitor than look at my 100K bill every month for the next 30 years. If I owed 100K, I better be living in it.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
I too, do not understand how someone with a mere teaching degree managed to amass $100k in loans. That's the level of a medical degree, or a law degree!

To your buddy, I'd say...tough noogies. Suck it up princess, and pay.
Well, theres a little more to it, he had some terrible medical problems too which drained (and is currently) draining his resourses. He has already lost his house, and his car just broke down with a blown engine. Doesnt this sound like a country Western song.

My point is, I think everyone who is able to pay for a lone should, but sometimes, life just kicks you in the ass, and you have no where to turn. I think he is at that point.

Personally, My answer would be to leave the country at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance