Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 03:56 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,478,991 times

Advertisements

Hey, folks, this happened Friday (yesterday).

After years of belonging to a major low-cost chain-operated gym, I decided to look into an upscale local health club with a few locations. I went into the one closest to me. The marketing director reeked of phoniness and I didn't like her. The price structure was the same at all clubs, so it was sort of moot. I told her I would NOT join on the spot because I would be out of town on a business/pleasure trip that would bring me back into gym, and into town, on Friday.

In the intervening time, this is what happened:
1) she's too stupid to realize there's a 3-hour time difference and that a person may be tired, so she calls me on the morning I'm flying home while I'm in transit
2) she said she could do a month free back then, says it's now 2 weeks, but I got her to do a month
3) she said she was going home on Friday, but she heard I couldn't come in until 4 pm, so she stuck around...desperate
4) she canvassed me for names of friends who might join and their phone numbers, thus getting me a monthly discount for referrals...I said they are all happy at 24-Hour Fitness or Gold's and gave her no numbers...this is not acceptable at any club costing $80 or more a month
5) lastly, she is a very attractive lady in her late 30s; however, her whole approach is condescending and patronizing...I'm sure she's this way to the professionals, and/or those older than her, who want to join. (I wondered if she is this defensive and forward as a tactic to deal with all these educated folks with higher incomes than hers)

Ok, I'm interested in staying at this health club; however, I can:
1) cancel the membership within the preprinted short time window and rejoin at another time,
2) cancel a few months into the month-to-month contract and rejoin after the summer, and going to Europe, so someone else gets the commission,
3) report the incident to the main office running this chain so that someone talks to her.

I know these are tough times, but it is inexcusable that, at a better health club, this takes place. Your thoughts?

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 02-21-2009 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 05:41 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,141,843 times
Its really up to you.There are plenty of others;so look else where.No big deal.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its really up to you.There are plenty of others;so look else where.No big deal.
I already joined. It's month to month and the initiation fee was small. My question was more to see if she's off base and management at the main office for this small chain needs to hear about it. I could also cancel within a few days.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:59 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,622,950 times
If bad customer service gets your business, they you have compromised your values, and proven to the business that they can treat customers however they want.

Your call.................

Old 02-21-2009, 08:17 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,695,496 times
Everyone has their own style. She used the hard sell approach and you bought it. If you didn't like her pressuring you, you shouldn't have joined. This might be more of a lesson for you than for the sales person.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:14 PM

931 posts, read 3,812,815 times
You are a sucker.

Did you get pushed around and beat up in grade school?

Old 02-21-2009, 09:45 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,141,843 times
Then cancelif you dissatisfied ;simple and easy.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 AM

952 posts, read 3,712,693 times
Why did you join at all. Was it because it was upscale?? What was wrong with your last gym? Yo must have been really desperate to join this upscale place? The girl did her job and got you to join so why on earth would they do anything about her?

I once were going to join a gym with my husband and the lady trying to sell to us were more interested in waving to her friends at the club, then concentrate on us so we just walked out and joined another health club just down the street. Easy as 123.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
You are a sucker.

Did you get pushed around and beat up in grade school?
No.

It was a chain I wanted to join. (24Hr Fitness has become detestable and there are not many other chain options. I walked away from a pushy sales pitch at Bally's). Chain wise, there's 24, Bally's, Gold's and this one with about 6 or 7 locations. Even as I was signing, I knew I would contact the main office, to complain. As a minimum, I have 5 days to cancel the membership.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Everyone has their own style. She used the hard sell approach and you bought it. If you didn't like her pressuring you, you shouldn't have joined. This might be more of a lesson for you than for the sales person.
It was $50 to join (preferred employer), slightly less than $100 a month for the all-club membership, and I knew that (1) I could/would file a complaint, (2) I had a window to cancel. If I joined at another club in this small chain, it did NOT change the price and the terms. It just routed the commission to a potentially more courteous and less patronizing person. This particular club was the one closest to where I live.

I just spoke to the main office about doing both. They told me how to rescind and how to register the complaint. I told them I would rejoin later, so she couldn't get any commission.

I took it in stride, since it's not a lot of money. It was a buyer's situation each time I've bought houses and cars. That's what counts. Not parting with $74 ($98 now - $24 previously) to go from a tacky gym to a nice one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance