Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:06 PM

447 posts, read 1,767,469 times

Advertisements

My daughter had an accident- her medical bills (about 2 grand) were paid by the PIP on our policy. Now the other person's insurance has paid medical as well. I keep leaving voice mails with Progressive to see if/how I return their money- but so far no response. Just an email saying the file is now closed.

I've kept the money aside, but was just wondering, is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 04:11 PM

931 posts, read 3,806,230 times
Knowing who was at fault for the accident would be helpful...

Old 02-27-2009, 04:14 PM

Well, at first fault was not assigned. Which is why Progressive paid the PIP claim. However, I guess they decided theother teenager was at fault, because Allstate sent us a check.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:17 PM

931 posts, read 3,806,230 times
An insurance company will usually call you or send a letter in the mail explaining that you are at fault, or a percentage at fault (50% for example)

If you did not receive anything and the claim adjuster sent you an email saying that the claim is closed, there is nothing more.

You are good to go. Spend that money on a bottle of wine and a hooker.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:18 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,177,459 times
Check with your medical provider to see if there's a clause that they must be paid back if you receive a separate settlement from another provider. If there is, they can sue you if they find out. Otherwise, keep the money.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:20 PM

Neither payment was from my medical insurance- I have a high deductible plan, so the costs were paid by me, and applied to my deductible. Both payments were from the car insurances. Our insurance and the other guy's auto insurance.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times
Was the check for the damage to the car? With PIP your own insurance company ALWAYS pays your medical bills--that is the 'no fault" part of your insurance-it has nothing to do with who was at fault in the accident, it is there to speed up claims processing. Call your OWN insurance adjuster that handled your claim and have them look into it for you.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Was the check for the damage to the car? With PIP your own insurance company ALWAYS pays your medical bills--that is the 'no fault" part of your insurance-it has nothing to do with who was at fault in the accident, it is there to speed up claims processing. Call your OWN insurance adjuster that handled your claim and have them look into it for you.
The check from Allstate (the other party's insurance) was for medical plus the 500.00 deductible on our car insurance. (Iat least it equals exactly the medical bills plus the 500.00)

Our insurance paid the car - the 500.00 deductible. They also paid PIP. So basically now we have been paid twice for the medical bills.h

Old 02-28-2009, 02:57 PM

45,514 posts, read 60,746,993 times
Your insurance may contact you to endorse the check over to them, minus the deductible. That would be so they are reimbursed from the other company. My wife was hit by a girl a number of years ago. My insurance (Erie) paid for the repair to our car. A couple months later we got a check from the girl's company (USAA). Erie sent us a letter a couple weeks later requesting that payment.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Your insurance may contact you to endorse the check over to them, minus the deductible. That would be so they are reimbursed from the other company. My wife was hit by a girl a number of years ago. My insurance (Erie) paid for the repair to our car. A couple months later we got a check from the girl's company (USAA). Erie sent us a letter a couple weeks later requesting that payment.
This is probably what will happen. Again, contact YOUR insurance company and let them know you got the check. The $500 for your deductible will be your money but the rest will go to your insurance company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance