Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:48 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,595,702 times

Advertisements

Dispute the charges first and if the matter is not resolved then pay the amount due.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 06:30 PM

67 posts, read 266,778 times
Actually you have ground for dispute. Carpet is considered a wear a and tear item that is the landlords responsibility to replace. Unless you left the apartment carpet severely damaged, I would request a damage assessment from the property manager and a receipt for any money they paid. If they only produce a receipt for cleaning and you have a receipt that says the carpet was cleaned dispute the claim.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfs1st View Post
Actually you have ground for dispute. Carpet is considered a wear a and tear item that is the landlords responsibility to replace. Unless you left the apartment carpet severely damaged, I would request a damage assessment from the property manager and a receipt for any money they paid. If they only produce a receipt for cleaning and you have a receipt that says the carpet was cleaned dispute the claim.

Thank you. It was in June though. You think I could still do it? Unfortunately, I think the burden is on me. They could just get rid of me by saying "don't have it anymore".

BTW, do I contact the credit bureau now or the collection agency to dispute it?

Last edited by XodoX; 03-03-2009 at 07:59 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 09:45 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,595,702 times
Send the letter to the credit bureau that has the negative collection on it. Here are some sample letters to send them.
Credit Dispute Letters (http://www.hillsidelending.com/creditdispute.htm - broken link)

Old 03-04-2009, 09:33 AM

Thank you. I am more than willing now to pay for an attorney. I am already experiencing the aftermath of that signicicant drop. I've searched for one, but I can't find one here in Houston who deals with things like this.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:52 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Although the collection agency is located in Houston, you will probably get much more useful advice in a forum dealing with credit matters. Thread moved to Personal Finance.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:34 PM

593 posts, read 2,439,115 times
Xodox, I just went through something like this, and ended up getting everything resolved and cleared off of my credit report. So there is hope!

first of all, don't just pay it off! If you pay it before negotiating with the collection agency, you won't hold any leverage any more.

Here is how my situation played out - hope this helps give you an idea of what to do:
  • I lived in an apartment 1 year ago, and paid everything to the leasing office (or so I thought) upon move-out. But the leasing office sent this unexpected additional bill to my apartment address at their complex, after I had already moved out!

• 1 year goes by, and I get a letter from a collection agency saying I owe $95 for a carpet steam cleaning fee.

• After doing a lot of researching online, I found out that the best thing to do is to consult a lawyer. I found this blog post on the Consumerist blog to be helpful: Debt Collectors: Debunking The Debt Collectors' Spin Doctors

• It said that I should find a lawyer using the NACA (Nat'l Assoc. of Consumer Advocates) so I met with a lawyer that I found on there. : NACA - Find An Attorney

• The lawyer helped me by writing a single letter on my behalf, and he sent it to the collection agency. It was a "validation and Pay-for-Delete" letter. Basically, this kind of letter is telling the collection agency that "I will pay you the $95 if - and only if - you agree in writing to delete the collection from my credit report."

• And after 2 weeks, it was cleared completely off of my credit report. So I would recommend going to a lawyer immediately. It will cost you a few hundred bucks, but it is well worth it to protect your credit. Now of course every situation is unique, but my lawyer said that if done properly, most collection agencies will remove a collection like this from someone's report, because it is a relatively small amount, and everyone ends up with what they want (they get paid, you get your credit fixed).

I know it can drive you crazy when you find out about something like this, but take it to a consumer protection lawyer immediately and you'll have a good chance of working things out. And if you need any advice, definitely feel free to PM me

Last edited by DCguy03; 03-16-2009 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: added some sweet bullets

Old 04-16-2009, 02:40 PM

Ok, I finally got a response. I sent them this letter here:

Pay for delete letter: A sample to remove negative items

But the response is not what I hoped it would be...

Quote:
Dear Mr. X

In response to your correspondence, you will find documentation regarding the above meantioned amount.
Since proof has now been provided you should remit the amount due; we look forward to resolving this matter.
This letter they got from me:
Quote:
Collection Agency
666 Evil Street
Hades, Hell 00000

Re: Collection Account for Original Creditor
Account #: 00000xxxx
Amount: $25.00

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to inform you that the validity of this debt is disputed. I am not sure of the account number, as I have never heard from you regarding this account. The account number I have is the one listed on my Experian credit report – which omits the last few digits.

In the spirit of compromise, I am willing to pay this account IN FULL (or settlement percentage) if you agree to immediate deletion of this account from any and all credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion). The purpose of this settlement is merely to have this item removed from my credit files. It is not to be construed as an acknowledgment of liability for this debt in any form.

If you agree to the terms and accept this agreement, certified funds for the settlement amount of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) will be sent to Collection Agency in exchange for full deletion of ALL references regarding this account from my credit files and full satisfaction of the debt. As certified funds will be used for payment, there shall be no waiting period regarding the deletion of this account from the credit reporting agencies.

Collection Agency agrees to delete ALL information regarding this account from the credit reporting agencies WITHIN TEN CALENDAR (10) DAYS following receipt of payment as specified above and will not discuss the terms of this settlement with anyone, excluding your client on this account. If contacted by any third party, including credit-reporting agencies, Collection Agency will not acknowledge that any settlement offer was made, accepted or executed and will, in fact, deny knowledge of any such account.

If you agree to the above terms, please prepare a letter on your company letterhead explicity agreeing to the same terms as the above settlement offer and have it signed by an authorized representative of Collection Agency. It will be implied that this letter shall constitute a legally binding contract, enforceable under the laws of my state.

Your response must be postmarked no later than 15 days from your receipt of this settlement offer or this offer will be withdrawn and I will request full validation of this alleged debt, as provided for by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Please address all correspondence regarding this account to:

Mr. INeedCreditHelp
123 Any Street
City, State ZipCode
I do not know what to make of this. They jsut said "looking forward to resolving this matter". That is way to unspecific and could mean anything. That does not mean or say they will delete it.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:23 AM

36 posts, read 190,523 times
XodoX

You can send a letter to the Credit Bureau's, requesting they note the debt was disputed. Sometimes a disputed notation, can make a slight difference vs. a deliqinquent unpaid amount.

If you send a written request that an item is disputed, the Cred. Bureau's have to note it on your report and in their files as disputed; rather than just unpaid, delinquent, etc. You will need to give identifying information SS #, address, name, etc. to the Cred Bureau in your letter, so they have proof, you are who you are; type of thing.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance