Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2009, 08:11 PM

37 posts, read 163,871 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I just checked my credit report for the first time...

It's all correct except it is listing a DEBIT card I had in 2000-2004 as a CREDIT card with adverse reporting - two 30 day late payments.

I find this hard to understand as it was not credit - the funds were coming from a checking account. I don't believe I ever had an overdraft, either.

I've already indicated to TransUnion that the entry was incorrect and called the bank Chase/Bank One but the research department was already closed.

I was wondering - has anyone ever heard of this happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 07:01 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,536,598 times
It takes a week or two for the dispute to work, if it was a debit card they should find it and take it off. I've never seen that before, it is weird.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:22 PM

The strangest thing is that the late payments are shown for 2005 after I had closed the account! I'll be talking to Chase/Bank One today to see what they can find out.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:52 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,347,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarskull View Post
Hi all,
I just checked my credit report for the first time...

It's all correct except it is listing a DEBIT card I had in 2000-2004 as a CREDIT card with adverse reporting - two 30 day late payments.

I find this hard to understand as it was not credit - the funds were coming from a checking account. I don't believe I ever had an overdraft, either.

I've already indicated to TransUnion that the entry was incorrect and called the bank Chase/Bank One but the research department was already closed.

I was wondering - has anyone ever heard of this happening?
It can be shown if you used a debit card and it took your checking account into a negative.

Yes, it can be reported on your credit report as if you left a negative balance is become something you owe to the bank and can be reported.

If this is the case you need to pay the bank or collector who has the account and ask them if they would remove the account if you pay it.

If it is not the case of a negative balance then dispute it and see what happens.

This is not odd, people have to realize that if you send a checking account into a negative balance and it goes to a collector it becomes a DEBT you owe and can be reported on your credit file.

Your credit file is NOT just for credit. People need to get a copy of your report and understand what it really is.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the response - the account is showing a $0 Balance on my credit report. I tried talking to Chase/Bank One about it but they would not provide any information over phone, only suggested I take it up with credit bureaus.

Chase/Bank One said I could request info by sending them a letter to their correspondence department, but I am not entirely optimistic that will result in much.

I'll have to wait and see what happens with the dispute I started with TransUnion.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,229,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarskull View Post
Thanks for the response - the account is showing a $0 Balance on my credit report. I tried talking to Chase/Bank One about it but they would not provide any information over phone, only suggested I take it up with credit bureaus.

Chase/Bank One said I could request info by sending them a letter to their correspondence department, but I am not entirely optimistic that will result in much.

I'll have to wait and see what happens with the dispute I started with TransUnion.
It's generally best to handle all disputes in writing and keep a hard copy of all your communication(s). Have you contacted all three credit agencies?

Once you file a dispute, they have limited time to respond. If they can't prove the disputed items is correct during that time frame, they must remove it. (If they can later prove it was correct, they could show it again)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance