Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:21 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,215,642 times

Advertisements

I have been doing business with Edward Jones for the last 9 years. The new counselor has ripped me off so much she made more money than I did. I want to take over my own investments. How does one go about doing this.?? We have so many different investments with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 05:41 AM

931 posts, read 3,802,043 times
Edward Jones sucks! I always wondered who their customers were...You should have switched a long time ago. What took you so long?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 14,645 times
They are very commission based. When I deal with their reps. it's like dealing with a used car salesman.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 PM

5 posts, read 54,902 times
Edward Jones has allowed it's representative to rip off a widow with a variable annuity and lies. These people are stealing from a dead man who died from cancer,, because that's who earned it and left it for me,, now Edward Jones can live off my dead husband's money instead of me.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:22 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
I have been doing business with Edward Jones for the last 9 years. The new counselor has ripped me off so much she made more money than I did. I want to take over my own investments. How does one go about doing this.?? We have so many different investments with them.
Here's the basic procedure:

1) Shop for a new broker, presumably a discount broker that provides no advice. The major players with some brick-and-mortar presence are Infidelity, TD Outhouse, Scotttrade and Squab. I'd see which one you like best.

2) Take your list of holdings at Ed and see how many of them your new broker cannot accept (some mutual funds would be possible). You will have to bust those to cash before you move your assets.

3) Set up a new account with your new broker and fill out the form (with associated documents) that says in effect "I authorize and order you to go to Ed with this paper in hand and get my shares." Ed has a length of time to do this. Expect Ed to drag his feet, like any jilted lover. Expect bad Ed.

4) Keep an eye on the progress and if need be, call up Ed and tell him that if his people don't move their butox, you will write a review on Epinions or somewhere that makes Ed sound like the second coming of Satan. He will tell you he has until such and such a date to do it, essentially blowing you off. Tell him he has his problems and you have yours, and that if he doesn't do it by the legal deadline you'll write a letter to the SEC, but if he wants you not to tell the whole Internet that he's a spiteful jackanapes, he could move things along like an actual professional in appreciation of the handsome fees you have been paying him. (That about the SEC would not actually do one bit of good--they don't exist to protect your interest in any way--but it may convince him that it's easier and safer to just obey you, as it might theoretically get Ed audited. I have been through an SEC audit and it is a nuisance akin to dog hair in your food.)

6) Make one last check to make sure you are no longer getting Ed, once it's all over, and formally close your account so they can't somehow stick some charge on you. The unpleasant scenario here is a dividend coming in with an ex-date before your transfer but paying after it. That would mean a low account balance, probably, and some form of petty crap about it. Just make sure the account is really dead. If not, stake it, sew the mouth shut around holy wafers (Catholics should have some), and pitch it in a river.

Have fun. It isn't too bad. I've canned several brokerages in my life and other than their sullen resentment that you left, it usually goes okay.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:42 AM

Default fooled

i was fooled by edward jones and now they are living on my widow's income instead of me

Old 11-09-2011, 11:09 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
I have American Funds with them for my Roth IRA. All American Funds Class A. It does have a high load of 5.75% to start but the returns are awesome. I am quite happy with them so far. Although, there are other funds who do just as good as AF's without a front load.

American Funds do really well in a bear market though.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:18 AM

Exclamation Tesas User

This site says NO LONGER HAPPY WITH EDWARD JONES

Old 06-03-2012, 10:14 PM

Default Edward Jones made 30k more than me in 4 yrs

How can your broker make more money than you?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 14,153 times
Post Educate yourself and be on top of your account

Educate yourself about what your personal expectations are for your retirement. Calculate your current annual compund interest that your account has created under EJ and make your decision based on it. I had concerns about above issues but my limited knowledge did not allow me to make an informed decision. If you ask other firms, they will always tell you that they are better. All firms are for-profit. After 3 months of self-education, and calculating my current trend compared to where I wanted to be, I decided to: 1- continue with EJ overall they are a very good source of information. I called my agent as many times as I need. 2- I took over the decisions of my portfolio, I sold my EJ portfolio and re-created one following three principles based on Graham, W. Buffet, and mine. 3- my goal (so far is working) is to create a 20-30% compund interest per year for the next 20 years. If you do not know what compund interest is I suggest you to use any compund interest calculator from the Internet.

The most important thing is to really educate yourself and make a VERY informed consent about your decisions. Remember that you are playing with your potential lifestyle for the last years of your life.

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited by Peljo1; 08-07-2012 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: To add title
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance