Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking advice on repairing credit score, renting with low credit score, credit counseling, consumer credit counseling, negotiate directly with creditors

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:16 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,706,247 times

Advertisements

We dont have the best credit its around 500 something but i am paying it off in huge amounts, it really is not a lot just little things like $80 and little larger amounts. I had several situations that caused this that were personal but i am now able to correct this. I can't seem to get a break however when renting an apartment or anything. I've been at my good paying job for over 10 years and i DO pay my rent, i was having car issues that prevented me from paying on time in the past, but I have paid. I've never had to go to court because of it or anything.

What is some advice other than paying it off?? I don't understand how this could be preventing me from moving. I've called at least 15 other apartments within the past year and we are begining to indeed thing maybe its our current apartment manager. When we do apply to other locations it goes fine until they speak with our landlord. Like I said i've never had to go to court because of bad history but half the time they've already checked my credit and just need to contact the rental office. What should I do or what can i do in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 07:06 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
check into debt consolidation or credit conseling. that can help big time. a lot apts wont approve you if u have bad credit. you may have better luck if you find a private renter who may understand your situation. you need to find out what your landlord is telling others.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:18 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,393 times
Yes, debt credit counseling can often get your interest rate down to 0 and you often make payment for 4-5 years and then your out of debt! I wouldn't personally do that any other way or else you be making payments for 20 years or so at loan shark interest rates!

I would check into a private person, over a apt management company, some understand this and will work with you, its a give and take situation here with them, if you get the right person, you can usualy work things out to both your advantages sometimes, just check them out really good and get everything in writing!

Good luck to you!

Old 04-10-2007, 04:04 PM

267 posts, read 1,675,000 times
Be careful of credit repair services, including using debt counseling can actually adversely affect your credit because of the "deals" made to pay it off. The best thing to do is to just pay it off and ontime and your credit score will recover. You can't force it. It's a function of track record of paying debt on time over an amount of time. Damage to credit usually occurs because of missing payments and more than just once. I agree about a private rental unit and maybe putting down a larger than one months' worth deposit might make you more appealable to a landlord.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:35 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,393 times
Default I am speaking from experience!

Seriously, I think some of these compaines are great, we paid back an awful lot of money in just four years, any other way would of taken 20 years or more, I kid you not! And our credit scores are in the mid to upper 700s...pretty impressive, if you ask me! Sorry, I do think some are a godsend, they were for us!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:32 PM

267 posts, read 1,675,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
Seriously, I think some of these compaines are great, we paid back an awful lot of money in just four years, any other way would of taken 20 years or more, I kid you not! And our credit scores are in the mid to upper 700s...pretty impressive, if you ask me! Sorry, I do think some are a godsend, they were for us!

I've just seen credit experts saying to beware. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. They all say the best route is to pay off what you can and to negotiate directly with your creditors. Too many people want it yesterday and jump on things that probably aren't the best way to handle things. Some of these credit repair and so called credit counseling services in the way they do business can make your credit appear questionable. A lot of things appear on your credit report, including use of these services which can affect your ability to get credit. Most of them are money making endeavours for the company so you really have to know what you're getting into.

Our credit score is almost 800, but solely due to using credit responsibly and never missing a payment, ever. Even if it was just the minimum back when we didnt' have much. It paid off in the long run and we can get a loan for anything in about two seconds.

Back to the OP, your best bet as a couple of people have said is to find an individual landlord willing to take a chance on you. Apartments are usually owned by big companies and they are adverse to risk when they can find less risk with other renters.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:22 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,706,247 times
ok thanks, i have been reading your replies

Old 04-13-2007, 12:17 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,128,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
When we do apply to other locations it goes fine until they speak with our landlord.
What is your landlord telling the people that are calling? Other than if you have ever been late with the rent what could he be telling these people that make the calls.
That would be something I would look into. If he is telling people you have bad credit, he maybe creating a "issue" that he is not allowed create.

As far as credit repair and credit counseling, the only one I would trust is the CCCS Consumer Credit Counseling Service. I have 30 + years int he credit industry and they have helped many many people. The creditors that are working with the program may report the account under the cccs program but once you have completed the program this goes away.
Recently it seems as if everyone and their brother is opening "credit repair services" the worst of the lot are the "debt settlement companies" I recommend you run not walk away from these people.
I have seen people call the credit cards directly and get lower interest rates. I have even done this for many friends (they have to get on the phone and give the ok to talk to me).
Now I love doing this I rate it right up there with buying a car(another thing I love to do). But then again after so many years I know the things to say and the departments to ask for.
They don't make it easy so a lot of folks would rather have CCCS handle it for them.

One thing to keep in mind try to keep any current debt current rent, car etc.
18 months of solid payments can go a long way to counteract the old bad debt.
Another thing most people are not aware of, each state has "statue of limitations" on most debt. for example where I am most debt that has no activity(meaning payments, contact from the creditor) for 5 years the statue of limitations has expired.
you can go to google and put in "statue of limitations on credit debt" and it will show you what the limits are for different debt.

OK credit class for today is over I have to go mow my lawn.
But if you have any other questions please feel free to ask if I don't know the answer I can direct you to places that do.

karla
"resident credit geek"

Old 04-13-2007, 02:24 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
Making payments on time is your best bet...that and time, it takes time for your credit score to go up. Credit seems to be a big deal to these places...we applied to 3 apartment complexes recently and all they seemed to care about was our credit report. I personally would ask your landlord, point blank and to his face (but nicely), what he is saying when people call him for a reference. Maybe he has some unresolved issue that can be straightened out.
The only other things I can think of is to offer to put down a larger deposit and/or get a cosigner.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:17 AM

2 posts, read 8,912 times
Default Repairing Credit Guide

There is no way to erase bad credit from your credit report, but you
can improve it. You can start by pulling your credit report form all
three credit agencies which are Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion.
You can obtain these for free annually at the U.S. Government
website at Federal Trade Commission . Then, follow these simple
guidelines to help restore and improve your credit score.

First, make sure all the information on your credit report is accurate.

Second, try to pay off all or any accounts that are currently in
collections or make payment arrangements with the creditor to pay
off the balance monthly.

Third, any credit card that is over 50% of the available credit line
should be paid down to under half of your total credit line. Your
credit score is lowered when your available balance is over 50% of
your total credit line.

Finally, if you have bad or no credit and have no credit cards try to
obtain two credit cards and make sure all of your monthly payments
are made on time. This will help increase your credit score. If you
cannot be approved for a unsecured credit card, obtain a secured
credit card.

Repairing your credit and improving your credit score is a slow
process that takes time. Just be patient and follow these steps and
you should be on the road to better credit!

Source: http://www.bad-credit-credit-card-fo...badcredit.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance