Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:36 AM

37,799 posts, read 40,996,819 times

Advertisements

I'm retired so I don't have a stake in the answers. I'm just curious.

1) Why do people voluntarily leave jobs and go to different employers more frequently these days than in the past or is that even true at all? I keep hearing that people do this but not why people do it more these days than in the old days. As a potential employer, do you look at a resume with a lot of job changes, positively or negatively? As an employee, do you think a lot of job changes is good or bad for your future employment chances? (I'm not talking about job changes within the same company/corporation.)

2) If someone with a family moves from out of state without a job, and then applies at your business, does that impact in one way or another, your willingness to hire them? In other words, do you see it as irresponsible behavior? Or, do you see it as this person will do anything to find work? Or, do you not consider it at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 10:42 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,278 times
The last time I interviewed someone for a job was when I lived overseas, and I would definitely ask about lots of job changes and moves, although not with the presumption that anything as wrong with it. Just curiosity. Aside from talent, hard work and the ability to do the job, I also wanted someone who had an interesting story - who would make a unique member of the team. Unlike in the U.S., I also got to ask questions about family, marriage, kids and things of that nature, which was also quite helpful in understanding a candidate's motivations and such.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:40 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

1) Why do people voluntarily leave jobs and go to different employers more frequently these days than in the past or is that even true at all? I keep hearing that people do this but not why people do it more these days than in the old days. As a potential employer, do you look at a resume with a lot of job changes, positively or negatively? As an employee, do you think a lot of job changes is good or bad for your future employment chances? (I'm not talking about job changes within the same company/corporation.)
I think employers should expect to be left for the next best thing, just like employees expect to be laid off. Employers show zero loyalty to employees, and employees have been doing the same for the past couple decades.

I think the new dynamic of the workplace is a relationship of convenience. You help them as long as its beneficial to you, and they employ you as long as its beneficial to them. No long term implied loyalties.

I read somewhere the average worker under 35 changes jobs once every 2 years.

Quote:
2) If someone with a family moves from out of state without a job, and then applies at your business, does that impact in one way or another, your willingness to hire them? In other words, do you see it as irresponsible behavior? Or, do you see it as this person will do anything to find work? Or, do you not consider it at all?
Irresponsible is the last thing Id think of someone moving for work. That takes a tremendous set of balls to simply pick up and go with nothing. Its fairly difficult to get employment from out of state, and that makes it neccessary for many people to simply jump in the deep end in another city.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:44 PM

79 posts, read 484,923 times
34 years old here and yes I've changed jobs about every 2 years since graduating from College.

I changed jobs in order to get more exposure and experience, more money, and to find a workplace that fit my personality and personal beliefs (work/life balance etc.). While working my way through college my company experienced tons of layoffs in order to survive the Dot.com bust. I saw people get let go regardless of tenure, loyalty, or performance. Since that time, I've always treated my employment relationship as a "relationship of convenience". Basically, I sell my personal services to the highest bidder. This is a phenomena created by corporate America.

Back in 2007 I landed a great position making the most money I've ever made in my life. 10 months in to the job, I quit and moved out of state with out another job lined up. It was risky but the best move I've made yet. It took me 4 months to land another position and although I'm making about $20k less a year, I love my job. I purchased a 4,000+ sqft home and have no debt.

The state I left was California, which has since imploded. I feel like Indiana Jones escaping a crumbling Temple of Doom.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:44 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
Changing jobs is the best way to increase salary. Your salary increase can be more than any raise you get. Also, you can expand your skills and experience by changing jobs.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:31 PM

64 posts, read 208,844 times
Information is more accessible nowadays to find work and/or explore new ventures. As recent as the early 1990's I was still in the caveman era of learning about companies and researching jobs. Now I can Google Earth a company's location and find out which busline it is on, etc.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:48 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
Two words: no pensions.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:16 PM

37,799 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Changing jobs is the best way to increase salary. Your salary increase can be more than any raise you get. Also, you can expand your skills and experience by changing jobs.
So, no trouble getting hired? I don't know if I'd want to invest in your expensive training if, by looking at your resume, I think you'll fly the coop in two years.

On the other question - Some people move, with their families, to my state without jobs and then they blame "the good old boy network" when they can't find a job and run out of money. Although I am not an employer, I would look at someone, who uproots their family and moves out of state with no job prospects, as irresponsible and I would not want them working for me. I'd think differently if they were single and just responsible for themself or if they came before they moved to secure a job first.

But, I may be old fashioned in my thinking.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:51 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,659 times
My husband has changed jobs once every 2 or 3 years in the past 15 years. Most of the job changes or job searches began because of restructuring and the possibility of him loosing his job,HOWEVER,he never waited until something actually happened... He has head hunters calling him all of the time,even now,and so when an opportunity looks good for his career and salary,he has pursued and hence our many moves.
I think that today it is not uncommon to see people moving around all of the time,there is absolutely no loyalty to employees anymore and employers know that.
Tomorrow they could be told they no longer have a job and they aren't getting severance.....

Although it is difficult moving as much as we have,and we hope that this move is it for a very,very long time, it has proven to work positively for my husband's career.
Our family and friends question it all the time,but these are people who have never left their hometown,never will because they are not willing to take that risk,which is fine,but doesn't mean that they are right or we are right... just a different way of life.
Some people are content in never "moving up" and that is great for them.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:27 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:

The people who benefit from rigid labor markets are the unnecessary. Shareholders want profits. Productive employees want upward mobility and/or increased pay. These groups, as well as the organization in general, benefit from a situation where hiring and firing is simple and easy.

Quote:
That might show poor judgement to me, but it depends on the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance