Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 08:41 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times

Advertisements

Are they all scams or are some legit, they claim they can lower your debt on credit cards sixty-five cents on a dollar or lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
I'd lean towards all scams...okay, maybe a tad harsh, but you can do everything they do on your own.

The one instance when I closed my business that I called one up, they wanted as much money to cover my bills (oh, and their monthly kickback as well that they claimed was voluntary...which if I was in that bad a shape financially, lay off then!) as I was already paying as it was.

When I got back on my feet, I was paying $410 monthly to credit cards. They wanted that much and their math was telling me that I would be out of debt in a LONGER time than what I added up if I did this on my own and picked up even more income.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:03 PM

23,596 posts, read 12,543,921 times
The majority of them are scams. They pop up faster than the FTC can go after them. They don't care if you get sued and they do little, or nothing, to try to prevent that from happening

Read in the following link to the FTC, "Facts for Consumers".
Knee Deep in Debt

I'm pretty sure you will see countless hits on the subject if you did a Google search with the same term as your thread title

eta
Alfred gives an excellent first hand account of his experience, that many people go through with the majority of those types of companies. Alfred was very, very lucky he didn't have to include being sued.

Last edited by berdee; 07-24-2009 at 10:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance