Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 12:37 PM

267 posts, read 1,176,517 times

Advertisements

Basically, I want to keep track of ALL our expenses, so I can figure out where we can save etc. I have tried keeping track on paper, and excel spreadsheets I made. But the problem has been that I have to input the data, and I don't have that time. It appears to me that quicken and mint.com will get the data from your bank and credit cards and then you can categorize them? Yes?

So, should I use Quicken, Mint.com, MS Money or what else is there? And then there is Quicken online, which is free, and you can buy it too. I didn't read every detail, but from what I saw I don't follow why anyone would buy something if they get the product for free? I know, I am missing something here. If Quicken it is, should I buy or use the online? What abt for the other options?

Please do also share what you use, and why you like it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 01:26 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I really like Mint myself. I have used the others, but it is very slick and automated to make it really simple (and free). It's only real problem is that it's hard to input accounts and keep good track of them that don't have online access. I've used the others much more (Mint only for about a week) and are good for keeping track if you have a business, but a bit over kill for personal use (especially in price).

Old 09-07-2009, 01:30 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
I use Quicken Deluxe to keep track of my stuff, plus a family trust for my Mom, plus a friend's small hairdressing business.

Quicken makes it easy to switch between separate accounts. It's easy to add new categories or get rid of ones you never use. Makes doing taxes a breeze. I also use it to check my budget; and to try different scenarios with my retirement planning.

It has a lot of bells and whistles that I don't use -- but I've been using Quicken since the early 90's, and no way do I want the hassle of switching no matter how easy the competitors say it is.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using Quicken Online at all.
MS Money came with my first computer, all I remember is that I didn't like it at all, sorry.

If you go here : Quicken® 2009 Personal Finance Software - Compare Quicken Products ,
you can compare the Quicken online and offline products.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:35 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I am a long-time Quicken user... all the way from the days of DOS!

Tried Money - two different times - and did not like it.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:39 PM

Another note - no matter *which* program you get, you're going to have to take the time to enter data.

For example, you'll need to keep track of where your cash is spent -- in what category -- you won't get a clear picture if you just enter "ATM withdrawal". Was it for Entertainment or Lunches for the Week or Vacation Spending or ... or ... you get the idea.

In my opinion

Old 09-07-2009, 04:27 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
I have been using Quicken since 95 and I happy with it. Never found the need to change. I like having access to my financial information without having to be online.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:24 AM

267 posts, read 1,176,517 times
Thank you all so much for your input. I think I will go with Quicken. I am still debating online vs offline, though I am leaning towards the latter.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:41 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Good luck!

I hope it works out as well for you as it has for me.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:17 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I keep track of our business on Quickbooks. I haven't been able to use Quicken or any of the other financial software -- they drive me batty for one main reason...

The decimal point.

On every single consumer oriented money tracking software program I've tried, they make you put in the decimal point.

I have 13 years of banking, another 12 years of Quickbooks, I can work a 10 key calculator as fast as lightening and NONE, absolutely NONE of them demanded I insert a stupid decimal point.

I simply won't start now.

So I keep track of things I need to keep track of on columnar paper lists.

Someday we're going to retire and I'll end up doing our taxes with Turbo Tax or something and then I'll have to get used to it, because I assume that will make doing taxes far easier. Until then or until they make accounting software that DOESN'T make you use a stupid decimal point I won't be using it....

Unless of course I'm wrong and it does it if you configure it that way, but I've never been able to figure it out....

Old 09-13-2009, 08:42 PM

In Quicken 2009 it only does it if you're using the calculator:

Automatically place decimal point:
Enters the decimal point two places to the left when you're using Quicken's pop-up calculator in a cash flow register.

Example: You enter 3478 on the pop-up calculator; Quicken records the amount as 34.78.

And yes, it's irritating ... I don't use the calculator very often. But I'm used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance