Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:36 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,971,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Buy a house with cash and enjoy the security of knowing that you won't lose the roof over your head if the market tanks or you lose your job.

For a cash deal on real estate these days, it isn't hard to get a 5% discount over the amount they'd accept if your offer was contingent on financing.
You should be able to do better than 5 per cent. cash rules, once you cut out the middle man.... If you are going the cash route , shop wisely , look for deals , they are out there. I sold my last house for cash , and I took a considerable discounted offer. No broker , no agent, just the tytle company, they closed for a few hundred bucks , and , my house was no cheap dump. It was lakefront, 4,000 sq foot designer home.( restored ). There is no better time to buy with cash...I encourage it , but , let your cash work...for you.
The savings by get a deal for cash , the savings on loan interest, closing costs , on and on , can turn a profit for you...in a few short years. ( Most people sell/buy in 5 to 7 years anyway )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:06 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,514,909 times
I don't know of any retirement vehicle where you can place $200k in right off the bat, anyone? Is that even an option?

Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 AM

702 posts, read 3,013,827 times
You shouldn't make this decision in a vacuum. You should look at your entire financial picture. Do you have an emergency fund? 8 months to 1 year would be good. Fund that first. Next, decide if you are planning to be in the house long term (over 10 years+). If it is 5 years or less, you shouldn't even be buying a house.

Next, begin funding any short to mid-term goals: vehicles, vacation, school, etc. Then decide how much is left. You definitely don't want to be cash poor as there will be lots of maintenance issues that might creep up.

Also, you don't have to do all or nothing. You can put 70% down and keep a low mortgage, for example. One advantage is that interest rates are the lowest in years. Definitely get a fixed rate though and make sure your loan provider has no prepayment penalty. You can always pay-off the house at a later time point when you have more cash to play with.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:03 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,971,528 times
There are lots of investments out there...200K will give you lots of options. because cash is King these days....use the money to make money , thats the bottom line. Do not use the 200K to " better your lifestyle". If you can use it to get a 50 per cent discounted home ( foreclousure or like ) , do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance