Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 08:19 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,715,984 times

Advertisements

I've done some research but still feel lost. In this situation, can the child claim the parent as a dependent on her taxes?

The child:
is an adult
works (in the military)
owns the home
the utilties/cable/water,etc in her name

The parent:
is disabled
hasn't been employed for 20 years
receives disability from the government
lives in the child's home

The little bit of information I've found says the parents income can't be more than a few thousand dollars, but disability is excluded.
Does anyone know for sure?

And is that 'all' disability excluded? Because there's SSI, SSD, VA, Workers Comp, Railroad, and the list can go on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:59 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,426,325 times
I believe you can, if you provided more than 50% of their support and they didn't make over $3,500.

It's consult a certified tax preparer, though. I'm a tax preparer, but not certified

Old 01-13-2010, 02:21 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I've done some research but still feel lost. In this situation, can the child claim the parent as a dependent on her taxes?

The child:
is an adult
works (in the military)
owns the home
the utilties/cable/water,etc in her name

The parent:
is disabled
hasn't been employed for 20 years
receives disability from the government
lives in the child's home

The little bit of information I've found says the parents income can't be more than a few thousand dollars, but disability is excluded.
Does anyone know for sure?

And is that 'all' disability excluded? Because there's SSI, SSD, VA, Workers Comp, Railroad, and the list can go on and on.
As long as you're providing more than 50% of that parent's support. And the parent isn't providing more than 50% of his or her own support.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:49 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
A parent does not have to live with you for the "relationship test". Generally, disability income is not included for the "gross income test". So you are pretty much left with the "total support" test.

You must provide over 50% of their total support. Fair rental value is part of the total support computation and the publication explains how to figure it. Publication 501 (Internal Revenue Service) has a workskheet you can use and discusses various questions you might have.

Basically you total up all her income and then compare it with what her support is for the year. Do you provide over 50%. Keep the worksheet with your records in case you are questioned.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,715,984 times
Wow! Sweetana3, thank you so much. I went to the IRS site, punched in the search for publication 501...on page 18 it talks about "total support"

and in the scenario I described, the IRS says
"If you provide a person with lodging, you are considered to provide support equal to the fair rental value of the room, apartment, house, or other shelter in which the person lives."......

So in this case, while the disabled parent is living in the home of the child- then the 'rental value' of the house, furnishings, along with the utility bills ....all these can be added to the amount the child spends on support for that parent. And if this exceeds more than what the parent spent...then yes.

Also, on page 17....gross income is any form of money that is not exempt from tax. So any disability payments, as long as they are not taxable...would not be counted as gross income.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:39 AM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Pretty much the same criteria is used by the military too, so you can also get the parents ID cards and base privileges.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:03 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
Vegas grace, do not confuse the "gross income test" with the "total support test". In the total support test, all money your parent spends on themselves from any source is counted, taxable or non taxable or even from savings. Social security income, disability income, savings, inheritance, etc. if spent by the parent on any kind of support item are counted.

The "gross income test" is a totally separate test and I believe a parent does not need to qualify under the "gross income test".

I just wanted to make sure you were clear since the quote you indicated from page 17 was for the gross income test.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 13,585 times
Dependent parents .. lots of information on DFAS>.Army Secondary Dependency Determination (http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/usefullink/armysecondarydependencydetermination.html#c13 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance