Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:45 PM

454 posts, read 1,408,580 times

Advertisements

hi,
i wanted to ask if anyone knows which turbo tax we should get (cost of the thing is my main concern).

i have a rental property and my fiance has a home business....and the TurboTax "home and business" seems like the right one...but it's expensive as hell (70 bucks).

i wanted to know if we can get away with the Delux or not. the delux doesn't have the forms for rental and home business...but is there anyway to put those figures in there yourself and do with the Delux instead of going with the most expensive version?

please advise. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 10:02 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,811,722 times
How big is the home business? I sell on eBay for a profit and file a Schedule C and the Deluxe works fine. Beyond that I don't know.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
How big is the home business? I sell on eBay for a profit and file a Schedule C and the Deluxe works fine. Beyond that I don't know.

30K profit as far as the home business.
how does it work in the delux? what does the 'home + business' have that delux doesn't? is there a workaround?

Old 01-20-2010, 10:41 AM

is it possible to give the turbotax CD that you bought to other friends and family to use?

Old 01-22-2010, 05:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
is it possible to give the turbotax CD that you bought to other friends and family to use?
Yes. You can do that. There is only one free e-file but so what, they didn't pay for the program so it is still a good deal.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:57 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,582,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
hi,
i wanted to ask if anyone knows which turbo tax we should get (cost of the thing is my main concern).

i have a rental property and my fiance has a home business....and the TurboTax "home and business" seems like the right one...but it's expensive as hell (70 bucks).

i wanted to know if we can get away with the Delux or not. the delux doesn't have the forms for rental and home business...but is there anyway to put those figures in there yourself and do with the Delux instead of going with the most expensive version?

please advise. thank you.
Hire an accountant to do your taxes & then tell us $70 is expensive as hell. I started using TT several years ago after paying a tax service $165 and all they did was navigate through a list of questions the same way TT does.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yes. You can do that. There is only one free e-file but so what, they didn't pay for the program so it is still a good deal.
Technically you can't, read the EULA.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:17 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,545,407 times
On the back of every turbotax, (and on the website) it shows the differences between the deluxe, Premier, and home & business.

I have rental property, so I've been buying the Premier every year. It gives you up to 5 federal e-files. They try to charge you $20.00 to e-file the state though.
Dependent on how fast you want your money, you can decide if it is worth it.

Personally, I'd rather e-file the Fed for free and mail in the state.....I don't need it that bad to pay $20 dollars....i'll buy the stamp.

What irks me is how they say that if you make under an amount or are in the military making under a higher amount you can file BOTH for free by going to their website, Intuit Tax Freedom Project

My youngest son qualified, so I used that one to start. In the end, they insist you pay them $30.00 to e-file the state, when they tell you in the beginning it is FREE.

I redid his taxes using the TT I bought, and he e-filed the Fed for free and mailed in the state. I've used TT for years, but I think this was deceptive and wrong. Shame on you TT. Don't lure folks who are making a small amount and our military, just to "bait and switch" in the end.....

Frank

Old 01-26-2010, 05:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Technically you can't, read the EULA.
Technically my copy says you can do up to 5 separate returns, share it with friends and family so I would say yes you can.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Technically my copy says you can do up to 5 separate returns, share it with friends and family so I would say yes you can.
Must be trying to drum up business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance