Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:49 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,189,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
bek you are not supposed to manage it you are not supposed to have it.
that is like saying why am i not doing a better job of managing a 12 ft anaconda under my bed.
see dave ramsey and live, the snake catcher.
Oh, good. Another mindless quoting of Dave Ramsey. I love these.

Some of us are actually capable of handling a variety of means of payments, including CREDIT CARDS. I have never paid a fee, nor a penny in interest, and I have used them to get stuff via rewards points. Just because some of you Ramseyites are incapable of handling your money doesn't mean we all are. A credit card is just a tool. If you're smart with it, you can make something out of it. If you're an idiot, you're going to smash your thumb. We're sorry you smashed your thumb, but don't blame the hammer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 PM

2,882 posts, read 5,912,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post

Some of us are actually capable of handling a variety of means of payments, including CREDIT CARDS. I have never paid a fee, nor a penny in interest, and I have used them to get stuff via rewards points. Just because some of you Ramseyites are incapable of handling your money doesn't mean we all are. A credit card is just a tool. If you're smart with it, you can make something out of it. If you're an idiot, you're going to smash your thumb. We're sorry you smashed your thumb, but don't blame the hammer.
One of the problems with Ramsey, Suze Orman, and these other experts is they never attack the root of the problem. IMO which are the schools.

12 years (9 months out the year) seems like plenty of time to learn about money, debt, your values, etc. I think less people (age 25-30) would be confused about money, or their values if they had gotten a better grounding in school.

Don't wait until you're 30 to quote Ramsey or Orman (after having racked up a lot of $$$ debt).

It'd be funny if the emphasis was on bank profits in school. Imagine hearing about that for 12 years? Would that shift your thinking about taking out loans (you may or may not need). Schools treat banks and lenders with kid gloves.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:23 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,360,052 times
Quote:

Congrats on your responsible use of credit cards, the problem is that many "idiots" have smashed every finger including the thumb and they continue to do so because of the false security brought on by credit cards. I was in that boat as well, but now I don't have that weight on my shoulders because I can make the same purchases for both my business and personal items using cash or debit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
One of the problems with Ramsey, Suze Orman, and these other experts is they never attack the root of the problem. IMO which are the schools.

12 years (9 months out the year) seems like plenty of time to learn about money, debt, your values, etc. I think less people (age 25-30) would be confused about money, or their values if they had gotten a better grounding in school.

Don't wait until you're 30 to quote Ramsey or Orman (after having racked up a lot of $$$ debt).

It'd be funny if the emphasis was on bank profits in school. Imagine hearing about that for 12 years? Would that shift your thinking about taking out loans (you may or may not need). Schools treat banks and lenders with kid gloves.
Agree completely, schools do a terrible job in preparing kids for life. Bad enough that each kid is forced into a set curriculum rather than have classes in job interviewing, debt management, economics, labor management, etc. A lot of what I know came post-secondary due to my own choices not some bureaucrat making over $150K salary. I took what I learned to build a successful business that continues to grow even in this economy.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:32 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,261,455 times
Quote:

congratulations! You've just repeated yourself for the hundrdth time. Take this haterade as a token of my appreciation.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 AM

3,487 posts, read 4,573,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Please assure me that you do not think this is a good rate of return.
If I do not pay APR and no finance charges because I pay all the balance as soon as I get the bill on the card and everytime I use the card like any other card I do have $25 free to spend on books because I do a lot reading.

I have $25 I did not have before. I did not spend any more money by using the card at all.

Please assure me that you do not think this is not a gain in any form.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,189,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
congratulations! You've just repeated yourself for the hundrdth time. Take this haterade as a token of my appreciation.
The reason I repeat myself for the hundredth time is because idiots keep trying to blame credit cards for problems they created themselves. Sorry, but I'm not going to let that kind of crap go unchallenged every time. Hate all you want; we'll make more.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:05 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,720,403 times
Funny thing about giving the extreme credit card debtors the evil, judgmental eye (and I've never been in major credit card debt so I say this as an impartial observer) - this whole country was on a credit high. All the corporations who enabled this have been bailed out or walked away from their mistakes and nobody here is judging them. Only the little people are being judged, it's just the run-of-the-mill consumer who has to hump hard to get out of a bad spot.

I think I sometimes I browse around the personal finance boards in order to feel good about myself - I'm not the one with all these financial problems! Woo hoo! I don't think I'm the only one guilty of this. Fact is, we set up a nasty system and only consumers are left holding the bag. The corporations are chugging along, got their bailouts and are back to being highly profitable again.

When I remember this, I stop judging people for deciding to walk away from their debts.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:33 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,996,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Funny thing about giving the extreme credit card debtors the evil, judgmental eye (and I've never been in major credit card debt so I say this as an impartial observer) - this whole country was on a credit high. All the corporations who enabled this have been bailed out or walked away from their mistakes and nobody here is judging them. Only the little people are being judged, it's just the run-of-the-mill consumer who has to hump hard to get out of a bad spot.

I think I sometimes I browse around the personal finance boards in order to feel good about myself - I'm not the one with all these financial problems! Woo hoo! I don't think I'm the only one guilty of this. Fact is, we set up a nasty system and only consumers are left holding the bag. The corporations are chugging along, got their bailouts and are back to being highly profitable again.

When I remember this, I stop judging people for deciding to walk away from their debts.
You have said it all in a short message...too the point. The big Bank bail outs have come back to bite the Politicans in the butt. How far the " revolt" by the People will go , remains to be seen.....

Old 03-05-2010, 10:29 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,261,455 times
Quote:
The reason I repeat myself for the hundredth time is because idiots keep trying to blame credit cards for problems they created themselves. Sorry, but I'm not going to let that kind of crap go unchallenged every time. Hate all you want; we'll make more.
I just laugh at how smug you are. You were obviously born into a family with money that probably even paid your way through school. While it's true that some people don't take responsibility for their actions, you still feel the need to call people who are changing their lives mindless idiots. You're so unbelievably rude and stuck up. I'm certainly not a Dave Ramsey apologist, but there are myriad reasons why people get into money and credit problems. You question their intelligence. I question that you realize how blessed you are.

You talk down to people for changing their financial lives. How ugly is that?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,720,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You have said it all in a short message...too the point. The big Bank bail outs have come back to bite the Politicans in the butt. How far the " revolt" by the People will go , remains to be seen.....
The People are revolting against each other, and you can see it in the smug attitudes on this board... and again I include myself (even if I didn't literally make a smug post) with what has gone on through my mind as I have perused this section of the board this last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance