Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 07:12 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

Check colic in horses first. Torsion, ( twisting of the intestines) can follow colic, when they go down and roll ( or try to) to relieve the pain from colic. Here's a good article on shipping horses, btw, written by my former trainer in VA.

Great to know you're okay on the deed restrictions!

Again, best wishes to you!

Cassie

http://www.horses-and-horse-informat...0197move.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiccum
Some great advice. Thank you so much. My hobby farm is in a little town way North in Wis. It's small and fun to have. I am going to check into all these idea's. I will do a serch as suggested for a hauler. that would be the ticket. AND, I never even heard of torsion. I am looking it up to right away. I MUST have a safe trip for them. It may sound silly but they are like my babies.I know of the test and everything already so I'm good there. And They have been approved for the homes I'm looking into so far as far as deed ristrictions.Good there too.
I will be gone for the weekend but when I get back I will look into all advice.Any and all others is still welcomed.Thank you. Very nice place this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 07:18 PM

15 posts, read 39,548 times
OMG, That is perfect!!! At least I have something to go on now. I can get price idea's and go from there. Your great!!! I can't thank you enough.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:26 PM

That link is GREAT! I get free quotes from all over. I just placed a ad.Awesome job helping me out. Thank you very much!!!

Old 08-13-2006, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the link on the colic/moving horse's. That is good to know stuff. Thanks for the well wish's to. It's exciting moving but abit scary too.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link on the colic/moving horse's. That is good to know stuff. Thanks for the well wish's to. It's exciting moving but abit scary too.

No prob. Also, I found out your goat will need a health certificate from a Vet and a tuberculosis test. It will also need a brucellosis test, unless it is altered. ( not sexually intact) Of course, any hauler who is worth their salt will check to see if you have these papers, because they are not going to want to risk crossing multiple state lines without them. Unless they're just in it for the money, that is, then it's no skin off their back if your animals are confiscated or if they expose someone else's.

Also, give the hauler a couple of bales of hay that the ponies, donkeys etc. are accustomed to eating, and a couple of days of the feed that they accustomed to eating. Making sudden food changes while on the road isn't a good idea either.

I hear ya about the exciting and scary part, too! It's both, as well as stressful, pulling it all together.

Hope you find your spot and are soon happily settled in with all of the critters :-)

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 08-13-2006 at 05:10 PM..

Old 08-13-2006, 06:13 PM

Hey Cassie,
Now you just told me something about Loopy, my goat I didn't know I needed. I had asked around if he would need anything but was ttold only the horses and donkeys. Can you tell me what website you learned that on? I am so grateful that you told me thaT BECAUSE i CERTAINLY DON'T NEED OR WANT ANY COMPLICATIONS. tHE MOVE IS LONG ENOUGH. oops, caps locked... sorry, wasn't yelling, lol.
Now I wonder about my chicks and lamb to.tahnks for your help.
Chiccum

Old 08-13-2006, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Hey Cassie,
Now you just told me something about Loopy, my goat I didn't know I needed. I had asked around if he would need anything but was ttold only the horses and donkeys. Can you tell me what website you learned that on? I am so grateful that you told me thaT BECAUSE i CERTAINLY DON'T NEED OR WANT ANY COMPLICATIONS. tHE MOVE IS LONG ENOUGH. oops, caps locked... sorry, wasn't yelling, lol.
Now I wonder about my chicks and lamb to.tahnks for your help.
Chiccum
Hi,

My source is the NC Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

http://www.ncagr.com/vet/vetmvreg.htm (broken link)

a) All goats entering the state except those consigned to a federal or state-inspected slaughtering establishment shall be accompanied by a health certificate from the state of origin. The health certificate shall state that the goats were clinically free of any infectious or communicable disease. The health certificate shall include a description of each animal, the age, sex, breed and color or marking shall be given. Goats over six months of age and sexually intact imported from out-of-state shall have a negative brucellosis test within 30 days prior to import, and all imports over six months of age must have a negative tuberculosis test within 60 days prior to import unless they originate from a United States Department of Agriculture-certified and accredited herd or unless they are consigned to a slaughtering establishment under state or federal inspection.
(b) The brucellosis and tuberculosis testing requirements of this Rule shall not apply to goats entering the state only for exhibition purposes from states that are United States Department of Agriculture-Tuberculosis Accredited-Free and Brucellosis Certified Free, when accompanied by an official health certificate. Such animals shall remain in the state for exhibition purposes for no more than 30 days from the date of issuance of the health certificate.

History Note: Authority G.S. 106-307.5; 106-396;
Eff. April 1, 1984;
Amended Eff. January 1, 2005; April 1, 2001.
__
Right below it on the URL is the requirement for sheep. For chickens, it refers you back to the NC General Statues, which I haven't looked up yet.

Regards,

Cassie

Old 08-14-2006, 10:29 AM

Thank you Cassie,
I'm gonna check it all out. I am sure glad I know now instead of just before the move. That could of been real hectic. I thank you very much for all your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets