Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:02 PM

26,660 posts, read 28,733,368 times

Advertisements

The only reason I could see for banning a circus in Hartford is this:

HistoryBuff.com -- The Day the Clowns Cried

Many people were killed. The animals were saved. For many, many years a photograph of a little girl would appear on the front page of the newspapers. She had no name, just Little Miss (and a number) and the story would be repeated and the question of who was she? Someone took her to the circus that day and she died in the fire. Why did no one ever claim her?

About 15 years ago a woman came forward--from the next town to where I was living--and that woman was the little girl's mother. She had confided in one or two people and that was all. It was simply too horrible for her to speak about or to face. From then on, circuses were not held in canvas tents, not in CT anyway.

I saw a huge circus in NY City once and it was great with people performing as well as animals doing tricks. I have a pet dog and he does tricks. I guess I don't know much about how circus animals of today are treated but it should be humane treatment, just as our pets are treated humanely. Sometimes these things go too far though. I would think that the trainers usually love their animals and inhumane treatment wouldn't be a concern. I will do some more reading and look into this because I hadn't heard about it until now. Only about the tragic Hartford circus fire--people should not forget about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 07:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,811,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
PETA's just the messenger..ignore them if you want..there's no need for you like them, but whats that got do do with the extreme abuse these lil baby elephants are forced to endure?..Do you think the video has no merit because PETA put it on their site?...Maybe you'd prefer the Rringling Bros" site, I'm sure it's a LOT easier on the eyes and senses.
There exists no message that PETA sends out, that I will consider valid. I didn't link to the site. I don't usually link directly to any sites posted here. I google them to find out what the sites are, and if I think they're worthwhile, I'll link to them from there.

When I saw that the link you posted is a PETA site, I knew without having to link to it, that I have no interest in linking to it, and there is nothing anything written on that site, worth reading.

PETA does not get my click-throughs. They don't deserve them.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There exists no message that PETA sends out, that I will consider valid. I didn't link to the site. I don't usually link directly to any sites posted here. I google them to find out what the sites are, and if I think they're worthwhile, I'll link to them from there.

When I saw that the link you posted is a PETA site, I knew without having to link to it, that I have no interest in linking to it, and there is nothing anything written on that site, worth reading.

PETA does not get my click-throughs. They don't deserve them.
So you would just ignore all the abuse going on just because it is on PETA's site?

Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So you would just ignore all the abuse going on just because it is on PETA's site?
Because PETA is the only information source on the entire planet, that provides news about animal rights, and it isn't possible to find more reliable information elsewhere?

Old 06-18-2013, 07:40 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,233,397 times
ASPCA | Advocacy Center

Would you look at a site like this?^^^^^

Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
ASPCA | Advocacy Center

Would you look at a site like this?^^^^^
It's a bad link. I even checked a different ASPCA.org advocacy link I found on google and that one's expired.

Given that they can't manage to maintain their own website, my answer to you would have to be no - I wouldn't trust information on them either.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
It's a bad link. I even checked a different ASPCA.org advocacy link I found on google and that one's expired.

Given that they can't manage to maintain their own website, my answer to you would have to be no - I wouldn't trust information on them either.
Well then the only noted organization left that I can think of is the Humane Society of the United
States. If that one doesn't meet your standards I wouldn't know of any other reputable
nonprofit organization that would suit you.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:36 AM

You keep suggesting I check out organizations that have very clear bias on their political agenda - people who WANT to accuse other people of cruelty to animals. So of course I will find lots of accusations. Some of it might be based in truth, some might not. So how about *I* provide some sources.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/29/us...leycircus&_r=0

Ringling Bros. Wins $9.3 Million In Settlement From ASPCA Over Claims Of Elephant Abuse

And the Mother Jones report here: The Cruelest Show on Earth | Mother Jones

What makes the Mother Jones report *MUCH* more compelling, is that there is LESS hyperbole, LESS emotional attachment to the information, and MORE reliable resources than anything PETA or the Humane Society or the ASPCA has EVER put out against the circus.

I haven't gone to an animal circus since I was 10 years old. I, like most other kids in my generation, was mesmerized by it. As I grew older I realized that these animals had to be kept in railroad cars for days, and didn't get to live in their "homes" like other animals or people do. Even pets, which are - by definition - in captivity, get to run around the house at some point every day. These creatures do not. Above and beyond any abuse, which does happen in circuses AND happens in private homes with peoples' pets and children and spouses - the concept of enormous animals that are shackled and caged, even though their bodies -require- regular exercise and that exercise can't possibly take place being led around a circus ring five times a day...that concept is why I'm against the animal circus.

I specify animal circus, because Ringling/Barnum isn't the only one that has them, AND because there are other circuses that don't feature animals.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:49 AM

I'm not disagreeing with you regarding elephants but there are many other animals that are in a circus and in private
homes and businesses such as large cats that have also been abused, caged & malnourished. The agencies that
were mentioned usually are the first step to take such an animal away from a bad situation and find a more suitable
and humane environment. One such case was that of a young elephant "Tarra" who was bought by Carol Buckley.
Carol trained Tarra and they performed in a circus. Eventually, Carol knew that her elephant needed companionship
and freedom from circus life so she founded the Elephant Sanctuary.

The Elephant Sanctuary : Hohenwald Tennessee

Old 06-23-2013, 01:40 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,298,735 times
Quote:
Because PETA is the only information source on the entire planet, that provides news about animal rights, and it isn't possible to find more reliable information elsewhere?
A pictures worth a thousand words...why does it matter WHO took it?..It's a shame that people would shoot the messenger without even reading the message...imagine if we all refused to see just because we didn't like who was showing it to us...I'd think that would definitely limit ones knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets