Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:20 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,203,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Good grief..are you really not understanding that I am saying advertise at the same time as you are doing the other things...
So yes it's taking up space , but the same exact space as it would without the ad..
Unless a dog with an ad is larger?? eats more?? more active
Can we please end this torture of me trying to help you understand...
How about the owners of lost pets just peruse through the listings of adoptable dogs at rescues and shelters? One can easily search sites like Petfinder and specify the breed, sex and age matching their lost pet. And owners of lost pets can also just as easily keep ads running to bring attention to their plight.

Otherwise, I did just read a news article about an owner of a lost dog who found someone on craigslist trying to sell her dog.... so yeah, these owners of lost pets have to be the ones doing the majority of the work for looking for their missing furry children. It's really not the job of the rescues.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:52 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,825,250 times
Quote:
Good grief..are you really not understanding that I am saying advertise at the same time as you are doing the other things...
So yes it's taking up space , but the same exact space as it would without the ad..
Unless a dog with an ad is larger?? eats more?? more active
Can we please end this torture of me trying to help you understand...
Good grief... YOU don't understand. How long is the rescue obligated to hold on to the dog, taking up that space? THAT is the issue. Why are you having such a problem with that? It's not rocket science. As I said earlier, some dogs are adopted right away... do we hold up the adoption? Hold up that space? Hold up vetting? Hold up expenses for food? Hold up repairing a dog's broken leg? Hold up the medicine for mange? Hold up pulling rotten teeth out? Hold up treating ear infections? Hold up shaving down the severely matted dogs? Hold up surgery to remove deeply imbedded foxtails?

You're only torturing yourself, it's so basic. The only thing I'm not understanding is why you don't get something so basic.

So, let's see...5 minutes to post an ad? Let's not forget writing up the ad, taking the photo (more than one, likely), editing the photos, downloading to the computer, uploading to CL... more than 5 minutes. Per dog. It's not like only one dog is taken in at any given time. Sometimes it's 2 or 3 one day... 5 the next, and let's not forget the pregnant dogs who haven't given birth yet, who we'll have to hold on to for at least 8 weeks after the puppies arrive!. AND let's not forget the ones the shelters call us directly for because the dog is sic, they're overcrowded, and they just can't bring themselves to euthanize it, resulting in a last desperate attempt to save it. And you expect the rescues to go on a search for their owners? How do we know the owner is looking for them?

Oh yes... just how many sections of CL is the rescue supposed to post in? And doing a search doesn't really help the rescue unless the owner thinks to do that. Most likely, they're only searching local areas of CL. Go into your local area and see how many lost ads are posted from out of the area.

Now, let me rephrase this simply... why should we hold a dog longer than necessary, who is taking up space that doesn't need to take up space longer than necessary?

and just how long do you think the rescue should hold on to the dog, waiting for the owner to show up in a cloud of pixie dust?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,504,295 times
Quote:
Good grief..are you really not understanding that I am saying advertise at the same time as you are doing the other things...So yes it's taking up space , but the same exact space as it would without the ad..Unless a dog with an ad is larger?? eats more?? more active. Can we please end this torture of me trying to help you understand...
I don't think it's that anyone isn't "understanding" what you're saying. Just that some are simply disagreeing with it.

Your position is that the rescue should be making an effort to help reunite pets with former owners.

The position many others are stating is that this is not the responsibility of the rescue. The owner was the one who lost their pet in the first place. Yes, there are sometimes unfortunate circumstances where the loss occurred (I once had one of those), but that does not switch over the responsibility of reuniting owner with pet to the rescue.

The owner can just as easily post notices on craigslist. The owner can just as easily check the shelters, check PetFinder (which is where all local rescues in my area post available pets), and contact any rescues within 200 miles to let them know their pet is missing. They could send the rescues a photograph and say, "If you come across this dog, I am missing it, please contact me."

It is the responsibility of the owner to do the legwork to recover their pet, not volunteers who are already devoting time, money and energy to saving pets from being euthanized.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,024,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Good grief... YOU don't understand. How long is the rescue obligated to hold on to the dog, taking up that space? THAT is the issue. Why are you having such a problem with that? It's not rocket science. ......
and just how long do you think the rescue should hold on to the dog, waiting for the owner to show up in a cloud of pixie dust?

I have said about 10 times now..

Proceed as usual, just post an ad when they are rescued..No holding for owners...

As for the time it takes to post , I do it all the time in 5 minutes...perhaps you are slower...

Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
I don't think it's that anyone isn't "understanding" what you're saying. Just that some are simply disagreeing with it.

Most might understand that it is just a difference of opinion, but one seems to insist I am talking about
holding up everything, taking up extra space!!

I suggested ending the thread way back because its a difference of opinion and best to agree to disagree...

Old 07-29-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I have said about 10 times now..

Proceed as usual, just post an ad when they are rescued..No holding for owners...

As for the time it takes to post , I do it all the time in 5 minutes...perhaps you are slower...
No, not slower, I'm just more thorough. Perhaps you produce lousy ads. Or would you know the difference?

So, if there's no holding for owners, why bother? Besides, after putting money into the dog, we'd have to collect the adoption fee to offset whatever costs we can. Which means, they have to apply to adopt the dog... and we have the power to say no.

another thing...advertising the dog as found implies intent to return the dog. That would put the rescue under a possilbe legal obligation to return the dog without recouping costs.

Your idea that the rescue is obligated is just nonsense. Put it to rest.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Most might understand that it is just a difference of opinion, but one seems to insist I am talking about
holding up everything, taking up extra space!!

I suggested ending the thread way back because its a difference of opinion and best to agree to disagree...
Who said anything about extra space? There is no "extra space." If there was "extra space," there wouldn't be such a problem in the first place. Now go educate yourself.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 AM

This concept is being over-analysed ...

It does take 5 minutes or less to post on Craigslist if you know what you are doing

Then in the less than 1 in 100 cases when someone replies with proof that
they have been desperately searching for their beloved pet
that is a happy ending I would think for the owner, dog & rescue..

In my experience owners that find a loved pet insist on a reward to at least cover
expenses the rescuer incurred...

Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Who said anything about extra space? There is no "extra space." If there was "extra space," there wouldn't be such a problem in the first place. Now go educate yourself.
"Extra space" just meant a space that would otherwise be open

Why so rude...we simply disagree..I am okay with people that have different opinions..
Why all the put downs because we see an issue differently ????

Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
"Extra space" just meant a space that would otherwise be open

Why so rude...we simply disagree..I am okay with people that have different opinions..
Why all the put downs because we see an issue differently ????
Because the idea just isn't feasible... it would only result in a financial loss for the rescue. And most people don't offer a reward, not enough to cover what was put into the animal. It's a bad idea.

And there is no such thing as "extra space." Where do you come up with that? There is only finite space. And resources.

and based on your reasoning, wouldn't you agree that anyone who adopts directly from a shelter put the animal up as a "found" animal? Same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets