Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:38 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times

Advertisements

They should be eradicated humanely. I think sticky traps are inhumane.

We had mice, and three cats took care of them quite effectively. That is the best method to have a mouse free house.

As for rats, a dog takes care of rats. I have only seen a few rats in my yard, they left, rats are not dumb, why pilfer fruit on the ground from a house with a dog, when the house next door has no dog, and an apple tree to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 01:21 AM

44 posts, read 30,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azile View Post
My mother and I had a rat in our city apartment when I was young. My mother thought it would be more humane to get one of those sticky traps for the rats rather than a mouse trap that snaps shut. One morning, we had two rats still alive completely stuck in the sticky stuff. It was horrible. They were so scared and there was nothing we could do about it. She didn't know what to do, so she threw them out in the garbage can outside our back door. She never got that trap again! I also like rats so the idea of catching them in some inhumanely way was sickening to me. She had the right intention, but those traps are awful! Never get those!!
Wait, she had good intentions but thought it was a good idea to throw a trapped, live mammal in the rubbish? So pretty much prolonged its suffering? Why couldn't she put the animal out of its misery first?

Btw, olive oil will loosen the glue.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:40 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,612 times
Late to this one but still applies ... If killing a rat/mouse bothers you there are no kill "have a heart" traps for any size animal you can think of, you just need to check it often, once in it can't get out without your intervention.

If you have pets, cat, dog, etc. you do NOT want to use any poison/bait type items.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:47 AM

4 posts, read 4,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
i thought were suppose to respect all of god's living creatures! No? There are exceptions?
yes

Old 07-04-2014, 06:56 AM

4 posts, read 4,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I got the idea of the chocolate from another CD.forum thread, so I put a piece of chocolate in the little hole, and smeared peanut butter around the edges. It's been there a week, and no bites, I know it goes to the garage because my roommate works in the garage, from time to time, and has seen it out there, so I put the trap on top of a table out there.

I'm worried about my uncaged ferret, who freely roams the house, courtyard and garage, as I don't want him to get killed in the process, and if I close the doggie door, he'll scratch and scratch at that door til I go crazy, or he'll start tearing at the screen door!

I thought about that tonite, what if this rat dies below the cupboards. Then what? Then I'll have to removed the temporary slat and the carpentry below that to remove the rat.

Oh, how I wish I could just capture that rat somehow, and carry him a block away from the house and let him go loose there!

Thanks for all your advice!
Please don't send it to my house.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
My cat caught a mouse once and it was in his mouth, alive, in my house, so I picked him up and put him in the bathtub and got him to let it go. Then I got a "bug house" that one of my kids had and opened the side door, put it in the tub, and the mouse went right it. I have no idea why that worked or why it was so easy but that's what happened. I drove the mouse to a field a few blocks away and let it go there.

That happened once. What's happened dozens of times is that my cats catch a mouse then kill it and eat it.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:01 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Ahhhhhh that was sweet of you

Peace and love to you!!

Old 07-23-2014, 05:53 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,951 times
Well, the mice and rats sold in pet stores... I don't think should be killed; they're adorable. I'd love to own a rat or mouse. However, ones that come into the house... it might depend. If they're healthy and not aggressive... don't kill them! Of course if a cat does kill it... you can't help animal nature.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:58 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
I just this morning released a mouse my Callie chased all over the house last night. I finally went to bed as it scurried from under the stove to behind the washing machine to under the hutch. When she'd catch it she would carry it around by the tail, then drop it and pat it to make it run again. It would scurry under something else. She didn't bite or claw it for some reason. The poor little mouse! I got it in a coffee can this morning and put it outside in the woods behind the house.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:27 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Ahhhhhhhh your a sweetie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets