Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:06 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
....aside from looking like he was being electrocuted all the time he was pretty normal.....

LOL... Hahahahaha..... Never have seen that in a horse....I have to say......LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 01:48 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post

LOL... Hahahahaha..... Never have seen that in a horse....I have to say......LOL

It's true! Those brilliant blue eyes gave off sparks...I swear! And he was an electric little horse to ride, too!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:41 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Thank you for the photos, theqbaby!

Oh, the PINTOS! I love a blue-eyed horse! And a black overo! Gorgeous.
The setting looks beautiful ,clean and well kept.
How lucky you are!

How lucky those horses are!
Hey Who?Me?!, You seem like you know your paints/pintos... can you tell me the difference b/t an overo and a tobiano (I think that's the right word). I know I knew once upon a time, but can't remember.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
Hey Who?Me?!, You seem like you know your paints/pintos... can you tell me the difference b/t an overo and a tobiano (I think that's the right word). I know I knew once upon a time, but can't remember.
Ok, picture a vanilla ice cream sundae...pour chocolate syrup over the top...bottom's white...overo.

Chocolate ice cream with marshmallow going over the top ...tobiano.
Theqbaby has a photo (post 64) of a well marked sorrel tobiano...they usually have more even markings...Overos will have more jagged outlines......

Did I help or just make you hungry?

Old 01-25-2008, 08:04 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,909 times
A little of both.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:22 PM

75 posts, read 220,164 times
Default Leadership

Horses are herd animals and a mare is always herd boss. (Not the stallion, !) This mare is probably herd boss or second in command. Niping, shoving, ear pinning and dirty looks are all methods horses use to boss before they kick or bite. No matter what sex or age or how trained a horse is, you must learn leadership. The best behaved horse will try an insecure or ignorant (as in doesn't know animal behavior) person. The horse will establish dominance in the same way a human does, one inch at a time. AND no that doesn't mean you have to beat the horse bloody. Sit and watch the herd behavior in a pasture, horses have a huge play drive and horses newly placed together always play dominance and submissive games. Humans are most comfortable in a group they know too, lol. We know our place in the structure. Right now you are in the new one in the structure. I've owned and raised Quarter Horses for 30 years and as a psychologist found their non-verbal behavior facsinating. Recently I discoved the Parelli system, absolutely the best horse psychologist. If you have access to cable or satellite TV, search RFD station for horse training programs. Watch trainers, they are ALL heavily influenced now by Pat and Linda Parelli. Of course Parelli is also on RFD, they are the best, the absolute best.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:56 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
Tobiano
(pronounced: tow be yah' no)

The dark color usually covers one or both flanks.

Generally, all four legs are white, at least below the hocks and knees.

Generally, the spots are regular and distinct as ovals or round patterns that extend down over the neck and chest, giving the appearance of a shield.

Head markings are like those of a solid-colored horse--solid, or with a blaze, strip, star or snip.

A tobiano may be either predominantly dark or white.

The tail is often two colors.

APHA.Com - Tobiano Pattern

Overo
(pronounced: oh vair' oh)

The white usually will not cross the back of the horse between its withers and its tail.

Generally, at least one and often all four legs are dark.

Generally, the white is irregular, and is rather scattered or splashy.

Head markings are distinctive, often bald-faced, apron-faced or bonnet-faced.

An overo may be either predominantly dark or white.

The tail is usually one color.

APHA.Com - Overo Pattern

If you go to this link there are pictures of them.
Go to Breed on the left and click on Tobiano, Overo, Tovero.

APHA.Com - Welcome to the Association

Old 01-30-2008, 06:16 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,511 times
The weather has been horrible !

Either raining or too cold and windy.

I have spent a few days at the ranch in the past 2 weeks. Have made some progress with Daisy. Still can't get over the set-back problem. I still feel that something must of happened to her when she was tied.
We tried a different approach than the "Let her figure it out herself". Instead of tying her, we took her to the wash rack and just wrapped her lead, instead of tying it. I groomed her while she stood there. She did good for a few minutes and I thought we were getting somewhere. Then she just started trembling. She set back, but not to the point of "panic". Of course, she got loose and stopped as soon as she was off the wash rack. I walked her around a bit, then led her back to the wash rack. She stood for a shorter time, each time.
She seems to be a good horse with exception to the set back problem, which leads me to think more that she had been abused.
I did some ground work with her, lunging, in the round pen. Responded well, gave me 2 eyes every time. Did not invade my space. Although it wasn't always smooth movement, I take into consideration that "I" am new to this as well. I think of it as "she" is teaching me also. My trainer is always by my side to instruct me.
She is great (ok, fair) on the lead. Does not invade space, stops, turns, backs up (from my body language), yields to pressure ect. Does need some coaxing to be lead from her right side.
Rode her on Monday. Very responsive to cues. Rode her in the arena and out in pasture.
She will stand perfectly still, when asked. Will tack up and remove tack without budging a bit. Stands still for mount.
I am really stumped about her set back problem. She showed me (by trembling) that she obviously has some validated fears about being tied.
Every time I am at the ranch, I try to desensitize her to the wash rack. Just walk her there for a minute and back her off.
We have discussed other tying options, cross ties, blocker ring ect. BUT those other fixes only seem like a quick fix, rather than fixing the horse.
For instance, we trail ride a lot. If the situation arises where she needs to be tied out on a trail, a blocker ring or cross tie would not be appropriate.

She is not my horse. But I have grown very fond of her. She gives me a smile ( lifts her top lip) every time I go to her stall .

Old 01-30-2008, 06:26 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugqueen View Post
Horses are herd animals and a mare is always herd boss. (Not the stallion, !) This mare is probably herd boss or second in command. Niping, shoving, ear pinning and dirty looks are all methods horses use to boss before they kick or bite. No matter what sex or age or how trained a horse is, you must learn leadership. The best behaved horse will try an insecure or ignorant (as in doesn't know animal behavior) person. The horse will establish dominance in the same way a human does, one inch at a time. AND no that doesn't mean you have to beat the horse bloody. Sit and watch the herd behavior in a pasture, horses have a huge play drive and horses newly placed together always play dominance and submissive games. Humans are most comfortable in a group they know too, lol. We know our place in the structure. Right now you are in the new one in the structure. I've owned and raised Quarter Horses for 30 years and as a psychologist found their non-verbal behavior facsinating. Recently I discoved the Parelli system, absolutely the best horse psychologist. If you have access to cable or satellite TV, search RFD station for horse training programs. Watch trainers, they are ALL heavily influenced now by Pat and Linda Parelli. Of course Parelli is also on RFD, they are the best, the absolute best.

I AM a big fan of RFD ! i love to watch Parelli and a few other trainers.

I do not believe in "beating a horse" either.
I am more interested in learning how they think, than simply MAKING a horse do something. (If that makes sense)
I would say that you are correct about this BUT it is not only me. She acts this way with everybody that approaches her stall. And with other horses as well. Even when she is in the stall closest to the arena, and a rider rides past her stall, she will charge the gate with teeth glaring.
She is all threat. She has yet to actually do anything (besides bite the gate and shake it).

I am not questioning your theory at all. Just wanted to add a few facts to see what you think.

Thanks for your help !

Old 01-30-2008, 08:28 AM

265 posts, read 1,292,691 times
theqbaby...wow. What an amazing and wonderful time for you...I was just thinking this morning that when it's time for me to learn riding, etc. (our goal is to have horses too, hence the move to NC), wouldn't it be great to earn the horse's trust/respect before riding...anyway, aside from congrats to you for getting that much closer to realizing your dreams, I want to recommend an amazing book...it's called "Chosen by a Horse" by Susan Richards and really it's a page-turner. Enjoy!!

~PudelPie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets