Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 06:59 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,306,234 times

Advertisements

I suspect for many of us, we chose which pet from a number of candidates to become our own.

For some of us there was no choice - perhaps there was only one available.

An example of what I'm asking is if you arrived at a litter or a shelter or wherever there may be many pets to select from, and one particular pet came to YOU saying, (in pet voice) "Take ME home with you!" and that's the one you acquired!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 06:21 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,224,030 times
Of our current three pets I would say two chose us and we chose one. Felix was a stray 7 month old kitten in a cage in our vet's office looking for a home. We were there for treatment for one of our rabbits (now deceased) and he literally kept reaching out to us from the cage (he didn't seem to do this with others, as I recall - it was about 5 years ago now). We played with him and left with no intentions of adopting him but we couldn't get him out of our heads. We decided if he was still there in a week we would adopt him, and we did.

Our second cat Molly we chose, but we were prompted to go choose her because we had decided we needed a companion for Felix (we had two other cats at the time, also both now deceased, who were a little old and grumpy for him to play with).

I volunteer at a local shelter and that was where I met our dog Rufus. We had started discussing getting a dog but planned on not really starting looking until after the New Year 2017. But he came in as a stray in September 2016 and attached to me quickly. At that time I had been volunteering there for about 5 months - I was quite proud of myself for resisting bringing anything home for that long!

Old 06-15-2017, 09:07 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,306,234 times
Yeah, my wife vols at a shelter, too. I'm just biding my time till she announces that kitty number three has found her.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:20 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,616,048 times
I generally pick older animals and let them come to me. I want personable cats that can be handled.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:50 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,045,317 times
Oh boy, that is why I have hard time at a shelter. They ALL say "pick me"

Old 06-16-2017, 06:44 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,802,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I suspect for many of us, we chose which pet from a number of candidates to become our own.

An example of what I'm asking is if you arrived at a litter or a shelter or wherever there may be many pets to select from, and one particular pet came to YOU saying, (in pet voice) "Take ME home with you!" and that's the one you acquired!
yes!!! This one came right up to me and clung on. Growled and hissed if one of the other cats came near. Was meant to be!!

Old 06-18-2017, 11:00 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,288,194 times
Most of our cats were chosen for us. These are all the cats I had as an adult:

-Rocky-given to us by a friend
-Snowball (AKA The White One)-given to us by a friend
-Bear-given to us by a friend (the same friend who gave us The White One)
-Sheena-we chose
-Brandy-chose us
-Swatcha-given to us by a friend
-Electra-we chose
-Andy-given to us by Hubby's daughter's ex
-Elvira-given to us by a local constable
-Josette-given to us by a friend

Yeah, most of our cats were given to us.

Cat

Old 06-19-2017, 12:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
It seems almost all our pets have been chosen by us, but maybe I should say, others have found us to help give a little kid a home. Our only pet right now is our darling Carmel who is a Shih Tzu mix and we sort of found each other. It was my birthday 4 years ago. They had an adopt a pet program outside our favorite little grocery story. I saw a little guy I wanted and called hubby to check on whether we could add another little one to our home? We already had an old dog and i thought he might like company. Hubby decided it was my BD and I could have a baby for my day. Well, when I found the baby I wanted I was told there was already one application in front of mine, but they also told my about this little dog that had come to the shelter jsut that morning. I made a quick trip to the shelter, fell in love with Carmel even though I was told she didn't ge get along with other dogs too well and this was her 3rd time in the shelter. This time, she had been ledt behind when a couple had been evicted from their rented home. Well I had to be cleared to adopt, we had to wait 5 days and I had to remember she may not like our other dog. I would visit her each day, just like if you had a baby in the hospital or something, It broke my heart to see her all isolated because of her not liking other dogs. I did bring our other kid to see her and they seemed fine together. Anyway 5 days went by, she was finally ours. The wonderful part of the story she and our other baby got along fine. He is not over the rainbow bridge but if she hears his name she perks up and goes to the door to look for him. Everyday we tell her how lucky we were to have taken her. I think she understands.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post

How about simply walking in and curling up on my pillow? That is how a kitten adopted me.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:21 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,288,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
How about simply walking in and curling up on my pillow? That is how a kitten adopted me.

That's how my Brandy did it, too.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets