Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:27 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times

Advertisements

Gail, something you might think about with microchipping. My understanding is that there are 2 main manufacturers of this - and someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this - and some shelters do not have both scanners; hence, if they only have one, the chip won't show up if it is the other brand. Might find out if the what the vet is putting in and what the local shelter can read are compatible. I'm in a small town - your vet may not do this - but our chips return to our vet since their phone is answered 24/7. That way, no matter what, contact can be made with someone even if we are out of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 11:00 AM

32 posts, read 106,495 times
Default microchipping

Thanks Sam...I did not know there are different scanners for the chips. And I assume the chip would only be read if Honeybear ended up in the right hands. Like an animal shelter or vet's office. If a stranger found him, who knows if the chip would even matter, it may never be read. I will ask my vet about the most widely used, easily scanned chip. We are in a suburban area, but who knows what scanners are used? I've always just used collar tags, but now the technology seems much better at finding a lost pet with the chip. Will keep you posted...Gail

Old 04-02-2008, 01:12 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,907 times
Chipping is good, but go one step further and get a tag made with his name on it and your cell # as a contact. We had a black lab show up outside our back fence, we checked his tag and it had the owners cell #, which I called and they lived 2 blks away and came and got him immediately. They were so happy to find him that quick and were driving around in a panic. A Happy ending...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailblaze View Post
Thanks Sam...I did not know there are different scanners for the chips. And I assume the chip would only be read if Honeybear ended up in the right hands. Like an animal shelter or vet's office. If a stranger found him, who knows if the chip would even matter, it may never be read. I will ask my vet about the most widely used, easily scanned chip. We are in a suburban area, but who knows what scanners are used? I've always just used collar tags, but now the technology seems much better at finding a lost pet with the chip. Will keep you posted...Gail

Old 04-03-2008, 04:34 PM

32 posts, read 106,495 times
Default tags

That's great they found their dog so fast. A very happy ending indeed. Thanks to you for being concerned enough to make the call. Once when I was walking Casey, I came across a shi-tzu in the middle of the street. I recognized this dog from the yard we always saw her in. I called the number on her collar tag and woke her owner up. She said "can you just put her back in the yard for me?" Apparently it was too early in the morning for her to thank me. I told her I'd be happy to put the dog back in the yard for her, but next time she may not be so lucky. The dog could have been hit in the street. After that, I lost all respect for her fat -ss. She wasn't even thankful her dog was alright. Unbelievable.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:30 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailblaze View Post
Do you find that their personalities change after the neuter? You said you didn't see much difference in your dog afterward. I hope he will not want to roam looking for females
There are people who swear it will calm them down and others that say it doesn't affect them in the least. What we have here are different dogs with different personalities in different stages of development with different living arrangements. There are too many variables to say it does or it doesn't right across the board. Fortunately, my baby lost the urinary problem with his neutering and left his "tasmanian devil" activity level intact. Call me weird, but I like that about him.

Believe it or not, male dogs don't go looking for female dogs unless the female dog is in heat. Otherwise, all dogs look alike to the intact male dog. But let one come into heat and we are talking about a one track mind amplified a thousand times! You can call him until you lose your voice and he still won't come. But a neutered male, usually will be unaffected by the scent of a female in heat. Not always. There are exceptions to the rule when you are dealing with so many variables as previously mentioned. But generally speaking, dogs are pack animals and like being with others of their kind. That's what you will see in a neutered male. Finding a female isn't the goal, it's all about finding a "friend." That's why you should have two furry children instead of just one.

Imagine the fun two of them will have keeping you on your toes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets