Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 08:55 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times

Advertisements

I adopted a Staffordshire Terrier from a shelter about nine years ago. Whoever had him before me did a great job training him, he assimilated into my house flawlessly. Fast forward to 2015, and my Vet was doing pro-bono work for the same shelter. She decided that "Since I had done such a great job with the AmStaff, would I be willing to adopt an eight-month old Pit Bull?". I met him, introduced him to the Staffy, and agreed to the adoption. What I didn't know, was how badly the first eight months of his life (spending almost the whole time in a cage in the shelter) affected him. He was fine when I was with him, but had terrible separation anxiety, and would defecate and urinate in his cage and "spin" in it while I was at work, appearing "frantic" when I did come home. Stopping home at lunch had no effect.

So, I ended up having to day-board / play-care him (expensive, but worth it), from then on. The first few couple of months went OK, until he started exhibiting "hoarding" behavior (he'd pile up all of the toys and guard them from the other dogs, and growl at them if they came near). When he started doing the same with the community water dish, they kicked him out of play-care. He never, ever, growled or turned a lip at a human, but got where he would bite any strange dog that came up to him excitedly. I think it was the result of his getting bit at an earlier day-board incident at another location. There was one female pit he bonded with and spent all his time with, but other "dominant" dogs who approached him? Fight city. He spent the next year or so in an individual cage until I retired - literally "thousands" of dollars spent I never planned on spending. Right now he's sleeping on the couch with his "Brudder", he came out a while ago to ask for a Beggin' Strip and was glad for it. He's the sweetest, nicest dog you could ask for, but I still don't leave him alone for more than three or four hours at a time, and can't trust him around other dogs (the Staffy is extremely docile and allows the Pit to be "top dog"). Thank God for being retired. Had I known then what I know now, would I have answered the Vet's call that day? Dunno, I got attached to the little barstard over the past four years. But this may be my last pooch, we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 04:13 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Has anyone ever adopted (or, although it's not ideal, bought) a pet with the best intentions, but had it go bad for whatever reason? What happened, and how did you handle it?
Yes, a local Veterinarian Office posted the dog. I offered to take a dog that was found with no owner is site. Cute little thing.

Nightmare dog--obviously it had some neurological damage. The dog could not calm down. Manic. Never slept.

I took the dog back after two days. Someone online thought I was horrible for doing that. She took the dog. She apologized to me two days later when she could not handle the dog either and returned the dog.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:23 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I've come close to it, surrendering a pet, but I'm glad I waited it out.

When my 2nd to last ferret died, who was a true adventurer (an Aries, by the way), I ran right out and got me another ferret who turned out to be the complete opposite of my Aries ferret. All my ferrets have been leash trained, but this one would put his brakes on every time he heard any kind of noise while walking him, or meeting someone walking the other way on the street/sidewalk. But I grew to love this animal more each day and so what!! if he didn't enjoy walking around downtown or being around crowds of people.

I think we all go through this, we lose a very special pet, and we keep out fingers crossed the next one will be like the other one, just like losing a husband/wife, we hope the next one will be similar in some ways, but we're all created differently.

My current ferret has an even different personality than my last 2. My last one was a very slow walker, took his time, smelling the roses, and this one?! He's a racer! He literally pulls me down the street!

Old 12-22-2019, 10:37 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever adopted (or, although it's not ideal, bought) a pet with the best intentions, but had it go bad for whatever reason? What happened, and how did you handle it?
I have a friend who fosters and though she decided at the time to keep two of the dogs she rehomed them because one of the dogs had been so mistreated he was attacking the other dogs. She at first thought bringing a female into the group was the problem so she rehomed the female which was easy* but the attacking continued and escalated to biting them. She hated doing it but the vet actually suggested putting him down and she wasn't going to do that. She found the perfect home for him and though he still has issues he is coming out of it. It happens and you have to consider the behavior in question which is offensive. Peeing in the house can be dealt with by using diapers; however, attacking other pets you have or children or even yourself is not so easy to deal with. If one can afford it; however, a trainer might be able to help with the problem before you give it up. I don't recommend turning the dog over to a shelter but try to rehome or look for a rescue. When rehoming be upfront about the issues. Don't just pawn a troubled dog onto someone else. There are people out there who are good with dealing with these issues that might be too much for you and our family.

*I should state easy in finding a home because she was a sweet cuddly dog; not easy because my friend was very attached to her.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:06 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I've never had a pet that wasn't with me for their entire life. I lost my cat Monsoon in October and he was only 5. I considered taking him to a shelter after he peed on not one, but two beds and a couch. I can't live like that. I'm glad I didn't do that now. I had no idea that his life would be so short. It shattered my heart into a million pieces when he put his head in my hand as I made the decision to put him down. His heart was so bad there was no other choice. I regret taking him, but I don't regret the love he got up until the day he left us in October.

I'm helping our neighbor raise a French Bulldog puppy. I have him 4 or 5 hours a day Monday through Friday and I've had him for months now. He's a good distraction from the loss of Monsoon, but I'm really tired of being tied down by this puppy. He's a difficult dog. That being said, I'm very attached to him as well. The things we do for love.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:46 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
I wouldn't say that I've ever regretted any particular pet but have had a couple regrettable instances with different pets that made me question getting them.

DH and I had gotten a tiny spotted pufferfish from someone who no longer wanted him and put him in our brackish water tank where he did well and grew pretty quickly. One day we were cleaning the tank out using a long hose and didn't see the puffer get sucked up into the hose. We both wondered why the hose had suddenly stopped pouring water and noticed the puffer missing from the tank and realized he was in the hose. DH tried to blow to remove him but when puffers are scared they inflate so that didn't work. We had some nerve-racking minutes when we had to cut the hose and luckily didn't chop Mr. Puffer in half and safely returned him to the tank ::

When I was a kid (about 9 years old) I was given a hamster by the neighbor as a birthday gift. Oh wow, this hamster was the meanest one in the world or so I thought at the time, lol. I remember going to put food in his dish and he stood up and bit my finger--and held onto it drawing blood! My younger sister got bitten a couple of times and my younger brother was also bitten. His original name was Hermes but was quickly changed to Jaws.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:57 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Why do you ask? Just for conversation and curiousity? Or because you have a current situation that is giving you second thoughts . . .
I am insatiably curious! But I also recently had this experience and am still feeling quite sheepish about it... Misery loves company?

Old 12-23-2019, 01:40 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Quote:
I am insatiably curious! But I also recently had this experience and am still feeling quite sheepish about it... Misery loves company?
LOL, yeah, I kinda was thinking that might have been the case! You've gotten some pretty good stories, so far. I'm sure more will come along! I've had a few such experiences. A couple ended well enough - the critter in question was rehomed and loved. Others, not so well - had to put a couple down. And a couple we lived with in spite of the difficulties.

I know more about animal pyschology, and training, now, than I did then. That knowledge might have made a difference, but I don't like looking backwards too much.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:07 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
LOL, yeah, I kinda was thinking that might have been the case! You've gotten some pretty good stories, so far. I'm sure more will come along! I've had a few such experiences. A couple ended well enough - the critter in question was rehomed and loved. Others, not so well - had to put a couple down. And a couple we lived with in spite of the difficulties.

I know more about animal pyschology, and training, now, than I did then. That knowledge might have made a difference, but I don't like looking backwards too much.
I'm normally extremely cautious in these matters and don't act until I'm sure it will be a success, but I recently allowed myself to be pressured (although I accept full responsibility) into adopting impulsively. Fortunately, I was able to undo it in time, and the animal went to a good home. I'd have made it work, otherwise, but it wouldn't have been the ideal situation. That was certainly a close call.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:13 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Not a pet adopting regret, but a failure to give a home to an animal who deserved a good home.

I was shopping for horses and was shown a Morgan gelding. He wasn't very well cared for and the owner really knew next to nothing about how to care for a horse. He was skinny and his tack was on wrong.

I rode him and he was responsive and then, lovely boy, when I stopped him, he stretched out into a show stance without even being asked. Poor thing had been someone's talented, well trained, show horse that got dumped into a hard life for his retirement.

I asked to see his papers and he was 32 years old. He didn't have much longer to live.

I only had room for one horse. I had to have a horse strong enough to do miles every day. I couldn't take him and put him into my only available spot to finish out his last year or two when he couldn't do the work that I needed.

I left him there and decades later, I still feel the regret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets