Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:39 AM

3 posts, read 3,054 times

Advertisements

When I was a little girl, I liked all things girlie, like sugar and spice, but not particularly snakes. That all changed when my younger brother found a way to torment me. He used to delight in catching a big, fat gopher snake and chasing me around the property with it coiled around his arm. Then when I was exhausted and backed into a corner, he would put the face of the snake, tongue darting madly, up to mine, and make me kiss it. I only remember actually kissing it once, but he chased me with snakes, many, many times.

Naturally my mild distaste advanced to fear and loathing. Consequently, I was not happy that day in the fourth grade, when a fellow student brought in a small snake to show and tell. As the snake was passed from one student to another, my stress level increased. When my turn came, I politely passed. Here's where things got ugly. My teacher Mr. Belding, insisted that I hold the snake. I was a very polite little girl, who always obeyed my elders, but I refused. When push came to shove, that incompetent, deranged, psyco had two male students sit on me, forcibly outstretch my arms, and lay the snake across my hands. I was screaming, and straining, and resisting with all my might. I shall never forget the outcome. That snake was laying in my hands as rigid as a wooden stick. It was as petrified as I was, no doubt about it. I have repeated this story to several people who did not believe me, and stated that is a physical impossibility for a snake to do this. I was there. It happened.

I have never lost my repulsion for snakes. I can't even bear to touch a picture of a snake in a magazine. I have lived in the city for most of my adult life, but I recently moved to a house out in the country. This particular area of California is infested with an enormous gopher, mole, and rat population. Not good, but I could live with it. The neighbors I spoke with were all alarmed over the absence of snakes. Unfortunately, some were even talking of importing snakes to control the gopher population. One man told me he hadn't seen a snake in years.

That was two years ago. A couple of days after moving in, I nearly stepped on a huge black snake in my back yard. A month or so later, another one in almost the same spot. At my Grandsons birthday party in my yard, we saw a baby King snake climbing up the side of my house. Another snake feat claimed to be impossible by those "in the know" but witnessed by ten people. One day I was scooping up some loose dirt to fill a flower pot, and there was a small snake slithering and writhing in my hands.

About a month ago, I opened my back door, and there across the step was a huge gopher snake, six feet long. I called a neighbor, who happily removed him to his own yard. The next day, he was back, at my garage door. I was working on a project at the edge of my garage, with the door open, and four times, that snake circled my entire house. Every time I turned around, there he was again, slithering along the edge of the concrete, and around the corner of the house. Then, he was down the hill at the patio area by the pool. The last day I saw him was when I rounded a corner in the garage, to retreive my scooter, when there he was, coiled up around my tire.

Thankfully, I hadn't seen him for awhile, and had begun thinking my worries were over.

Until today.

This afternoon, my husband retreived a medium sized garter snake from inside our garage, and then later this evening, a large black-banded King snake which was smack in front of my washing machine.

This is the limit. All I can say is "Why me???" We are very tidy people, with a manicured yard, and no junk laying around. My husband is diligent about poisoning the gophers, and obliterating the rats nests. I do not understand what in the world is attracting them. The neighbors are still not seeing any in their yards.

I have to watch the ground with every step I take, and am so jittery that I lurch every time a breeze blows a leaf across my path. I realize snakes are beneficial, and I do not wish them any harm, but I can't live like this. What can I do, and why are they stalking me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 10:26 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,434,858 times
Wow!

First off, Im sorry that you (and the snake) had to suffer such traumatic events as a child. Thats really sad that people would do that to you. And whats really sad is that youll probably never have the want or desire to live around them, or even learn about them. I know youve probably heard a million times (on this thread alone lol) about how beneficial snakes are, and its true. If theyre around your house, its probably because theyre attracted to something else (could be mice)! Instead of having them removed, you should simply step over them and maybe even try talking to them. I know, it sounds ridiculous, but when you see the same snake around and talk to it, you might develop a little bond with it. hahaha Dont laugh! hahaha My grandma would always have a little garter snake in her garden that she was petrified of at first. In fact, my grandpa would have to go out there and remove it all the time. She couldnt, for the life of her, figure out why it was always in her garden, until she started noticing mouse droppings around the area. Ever since that discovery, she has let "Henry" hang around her garden, even noticing "Henry" with a big lump in his belly, which she assumed was a mouse he had consumed.

Seriously though, maybe start naming them, especially ones you see on a regular basis. It might help you like it helped my grandmother. Now its to the point where she actually looks for Henry to check on him. I think its cute. hahaha

Old 07-07-2008, 04:34 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,640,114 times
Letsneck, if you've reached the point where your fear of snakes is interfering with your life, IMHO you should take steps to confront and overcome it rather than just trying to avoid the object of your phobia. No matter where you go, there will be snakes. Even in the city, I would bet that there was someone near you who has a snake for a pet, or a pet store that sells snakes. Petco sells snakes, for example. I once talked to someone who would not even step foot in the store because of this, so you're not alone.

I would strongly suggest talking to your doctor and getting a reference for a psychotherapist who can help you overcome your fear, if you can afford it. If not, there are steps that you can take yourself. Here's the story of someone who overcame their fear. You can view it with or without pictures with snakes:

Snake Phobia

Old 07-08-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Letsneck, if you've reached the point where your fear of snakes is interfering with your life, IMHO you should take steps to confront and overcome it rather than just trying to avoid the object of your phobia. No matter where you go, there will be snakes. Even in the city, I would bet that there was someone near you who has a snake for a pet, or a pet store that sells snakes. Petco sells snakes, for example. I once talked to someone who would not even step foot in the store because of this, so you're not alone.

I would strongly suggest talking to your doctor and getting a reference for a psychotherapist who can help you overcome your fear, if you can afford it. If not, there are steps that you can take yourself. Here's the story of someone who overcame their fear. You can view it with or without pictures with snakes:

Snake Phobia
Good idea. I recommended that to someone on the New Mexico boards (nicely I might add), and she flipped out and blocked me. lol

Some people...

Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 PM

531 posts, read 1,745,273 times
Steve-o.
Your post reminded me of family members who asked me how could I like rodents (hamsters,gerbils,and a guinea pig) as pets. I can't honestly say I love snakes,but don't hate them either (pythons do scare me,I admit). My aunt thought I was nuts when I told her what a sweet pet a guinea pig makes. She said "EW how can you have something like that in your house!"
But Sparky was a great pet,affectionate,never bit anyone,and I was in tears when he died of old age. I don't really like rats though,although some people say they make good pets too.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:34 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,024,241 times
Revulsion or fear of snakes, lizards, toads, tarantulas, etc is nothing more than phobias, and everyone has some sort of phobia. Snakes seem to get an unusually bad rep, though...not sure why. I personally love any sort of reptile...living in Arizona I have lots of them around my pond and barn areas. I have been known to go hunting for King snakes and bullsnakes to bring INTO my property to keep the rats, mice and rattlers away.

I did witness an odd thing once years ago, though, when my Dad and I were golfing in Borrego Springs, CA. We came upon a Side-winder Rattler that was drinking on the course and we startled it (it also startled us.) The snake did actually side-wind TOWARDS us, almost as though it was chasing us, and this went on for about 50 feet. Very weird. Ever seen that, Steve-O?

Old 07-15-2008, 10:25 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,615,274 times
Absolutely love reptiles, all animals for that matter. If the neighbors want one relocated I bring it home to my garden. I see several out there though I doubt many stay. Yet it makes the neighbors feel better just knowing it is leaving their yard at the time. The neighbor down the street, I believe I have removed the same snake a few times.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I did witness an odd thing once years ago, though, when my Dad and I were golfing in Borrego Springs, CA. We came upon a Side-winder Rattler that was drinking on the course and we startled it (it also startled us.) The snake did actually side-wind TOWARDS us, almost as though it was chasing us, and this went on for about 50 feet. Very weird. Ever seen that, Steve-O?
Actually, Ive never seen a sidewinder in the wild, its been one of my lifetime goals though. Were you guys standing still?

Old 07-16-2008, 07:36 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,024,241 times
We were quickly backing away. I had no idea how fast side-winders could move. I don't think it was "attacking" us...but it sure was following us. Maybe curiosity? Something about our obvious fear? I have a high respect ror rattlers but not a "fear" per se,...but this one just startled the heck out of us because it was the last thing we expected to find on the 5th hold of the Borrego Springs golf course!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
We were quickly backing away. I had no idea how fast side-winders could move. I don't think it was "attacking" us...but it sure was following us. Maybe curiosity? Something about our obvious fear? I have a high respect ror rattlers but not a "fear" per se,...but this one just startled the heck out of us because it was the last thing we expected to find on the 5th hold of the Borrego Springs golf course!
Hmmm, that is bizarre. I thought at first it just might not have noticed you, but thats not the case. It wouldnt chase you, maybe it was just confused. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets